ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Meaning of "retired from" recognised profession

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chssvi

Meaning of "retired from" recognised profession

Post by chssvi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:42 am

My wife has just received confirmation that her citizenship application has been approved.

Looking at the requirements, we need a UK national working on (or retired from) a recognised profession.

What is the meaning of "retired from" in this context? It is like is now a pensioner or that they did the role previously.

Ideal candidate is a close friend who was a journalist but has now been working for several years as an editor.

FYI, the referee of professional standing that was used for the citizenship application was not a UK citizen.

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Meaning of "retired from" recognised profession

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:06 am

"retired from" normally means the person is now a pensioner. Otherwise person has "left" for another position.
HMPO asks for British passport details of referee so it may be best to find a person who is British.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

chssvi

Re: Meaning of "retired from" recognised profession

Post by chssvi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:58 am

Hmmm. That's unfortunate. And that's precisely the problem. The person we used as a reference for the citizenship application is not a UK citizen so is not eligible to be the identity checker for the passport application. Sigh... these definitions are so awkward. We know lots of UK professionals but because of these strict definitions not many actually qualify