ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Financial requirement for Join Family Member (D) Visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bláskógabyggð
Newly Registered
Ireland

Financial requirement for Join Family Member (D) Visa

Post by bláskógabyggð » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Me: Irish citizen
Wife: Non-EU citizen

Goal: Move together from non-EU country to Ireland with a Join Family Member (D) visa and obtain stamp 4 after arrival.

Issue at hand: The financial requirement is that I have earned €40,000 over the past three years.

Questions:
1) What constitutes satisfactory evidence of income obtained outside of Ireland?
2) What are the requirements for the translation and legalisation of this evidence?
3) Can the non-EU spouse's income be counted towards the financial requirement?
4) What is the logic of this requirement? From the authorities' point of view how does historical income from outside the State have any relevance to the future financial security of new arrivals in Ireland?
5) If there is a shortfall in the required €40,000 is it possible to use cash savings to compensate? If so, how much of a shortfall is permitted to be compensated? What is the formula for working out the value of cash savings (income equivalence) for this purpose?

Many thanks in advance!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Financial requirement for Join Family Member (D) Visa

Post by littlerr » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm

1. Check with your local embassy. Each country has their own set of recognised documentary proofs. In general, all of the below should be recognised: Employment letter from your employer; salary slips; year-end tax documents; bank statements showing lodgement of your salary etc. You should provide as many documents as possible.

2. Check with your local embassy. Non-English documents will always need to be translated. Whether they need to be translated by professional entities, and whether they need to be legalised by local authorities, are questions for your local embassy. They should already be available on your embassy's website or INIS's website.

3. No. When applying for such visas, the assumption is that you should be able to sponsor your spouse, and you have sufficient money to support both you and your spouse.

4. 40k over 3 years is the absolute minimum that you can prove that you and your spouse will survive in Ireland. Non-EU sponsors have a significant higher amount (in most cases at least 30-60k every year).

5. There is no set amount of shortfalls. The policy document is merely a guideline rather than a hard stop if you do not meet that 40k requirement. Your goal is convince officers that if you and your spouse live together in Ireland, neither of you will be a liability to the country's welfare system and that you have sufficient funds to cover yourselves.

bláskógabyggð
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Financial requirement for Join Family Member (D) Visa

Post by bláskógabyggð » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Thanks for this clear and helpful answer.
littlerr wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm

3. No. When applying for such visas, the assumption is that you should be able to sponsor your spouse, and you have sufficient money to support both you and your spouse.

4. 40k over 3 years is the absolute minimum that you can prove that you and your spouse will survive in Ireland. Non-EU sponsors have a significant higher amount (in most cases at least 30-60k every year).
Perhaps I didn't phrase my question 4 clearly. I was not asking why there is a (rather modest) financial requirement. I was asking about the nature of the financial requirement. I'm struggling to see the logic. Specifically, what do past earnings from a soon-to-be discontinued employment in a third country have to do with assessing future likelihood of becoming an undue burden on the State after arrival?

You said it yourself: "prove that you and your spouse will survive in Ireland". Surely a firm job offer in Ireland or access to significant savings would have more relevance in the case of citizens who are not currently residing in Ireland? Past earnings are no proof of current financial state. Otherwise, am I to believe that a citizen who used to earn €14k p.a. and arrives with their spouse and not a penny to their name will be waved through on trust, ahead of a citizen with demonstrable cash savings of €1 million but no evidence of previous three years' earnings?

You said it yourself: "Your goal is convince officers..." I agree, so it's important to understand the logic of how I will be assessed so I can make a solid application.