ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gained citizenship today, but flying in 2 weeks... Help!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jbug8181
Newly Registered

Gained citizenship today, but flying in 2 weeks... Help!

Post by jbug8181 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:28 pm

American wife gained British citizenship today after a 6 year process (Yay - thanks a million to this forum for navigating us through so many steps!)

However, we had planned for a little trip to Portugal in 2 weeks..

BUT it seems the prize of obtaining British citizenship is immediate travel restrictions!

Wife was informed she has to give up BRP in 5 days (or face 1000 GBP fine).

A passport cannot be obtained for new passport holders on an urgent basis. (Quoted time 4-8 weeks)

Certificate of entitlement also takes 3-4 weeks.

We had already booked a short getaway to Europe in 2 weeks time... how can she get back in the country? Can she come back in on her american passport (even as a tourist?) She has her citizenship certificate.. but will have to give up the BRP asap...

Thanks for any advice!

HCJNL

Re: Gained citizenship today, but flying in 2 weeks... Help!

Post by HCJNL » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm

A US passport gives visa-free access to the UK, as you say. But she may be asked questions by officials. Your wife cannot use her BRP even if she doesn't return it, as she is now a British citizen.
As you say, there is no speeded up procedure for a first UK passport.
If I was in her shoes, I would enjoy the holiday. Then, at the border on her return, be prepared to show copies of her BRP, the letter stating that she had to return it and a copy of her naturalization certificate.
The alternative is to cancel the holiday, which would be a shame!

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:36 pm

HCJNL wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm
at the border on her return, be prepared to show copies of her BRP, the letter stating that she had to return it and a copy of her naturalization certificate.
US passport holders can us e-gates, there is no one to check any documents.

strong_and_stable

Post by strong_and_stable » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:40 pm

There's a reasonable chance you'll be okay, but be aware of the risks and their impacts. Because your journey ends in the UK, airlines will sometimes ask to see evidence that you have immigration status in the UK. Unfortunately the naturalisation certificate is not a travel document, so it is not recognised by the airlines.

Risk 1: You get denied boarding on your flight out to Portugal because your trip ends in the UK and they ask to see a visa.
  • Nothing you can do it that case, holiday lost.
Risk 2: You get denied boarding on your flight back to the UK because they ask to see your visa because you have no onward flight to leave the UK. There are probably ways to get to the UK border, but all will cost significant time and money. A few ideas:
  • You could head to Paris and try to get the Eurostar since the UK border is in France.
  • You could book your wife an intra-Schengen flight with a connection in the UK and ditch the second leg (without baggage).
  • You could leave your wife in sunny Portugal, pick up her passport from your letter box and bring it back to her (assuming you've already applied for it and sorted any interview if needed).
"Strong and stable government in the national interest" -Theresa May, Home Secretary (2010-2016)

FloweringBud
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by FloweringBud » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:05 am

I don't see what the problem is, unless OP’s wife renounced her US citizenship then she is classed as a dual citizen and her US passport is still valid. It is not easy to lose US citizenship, even when becoming a national of another country; it is a process which requires paperwork and intent for renunciation. A US passport has visa free restrictions to enter the UK. Therefore, OP’s wife can use US passport to enter and leave the UK (round-trip). Many dual citizens have this problem and just use which passport is easiest for them to leave and enter.

strong_and_stable

Post by strong_and_stable » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:59 am

FloweringBud wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:05 am
I don't see what the problem is, unless OP’s wife renounced her US citizenship then she is classed as a dual citizen and her US passport is still valid. It is not easy to lose US citizenship, even when becoming a national of another country; it is a process which requires paperwork and intent for renunciation. A US passport has visa free restrictions to enter the UK. Therefore, OP’s wife can use US passport to enter and leave the UK (round-trip). Many dual citizens have this problem and just use which passport is easiest for them to leave and enter.
I'm just speaking from personal experience. There have been several cases in more recent years where my non-visa national passport has not been enough for the airline to allow me to board. It's inconsistent, but OP should be aware that there is still some risk. Thus if they absolutely need to be back in the UK immediately after their holiday, it's worth considering

I suppose another option is just to book a refundable flight at some future date between the UK and the USA. Then there is clear evidence of onward travel.
"Strong and stable government in the national interest" -Theresa May, Home Secretary (2010-2016)

HCJNL

Post by HCJNL » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:06 pm

TerryGH wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:36 pm
HCJNL wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm
at the border on her return, be prepared to show copies of her BRP, the letter stating that she had to return it and a copy of her naturalization certificate.
US passport holders can us e-gates, there is no one to check any documents.
They might, if the computer flags her for any reason when passing through the e-gate, and she is told to wait for an official.

HCJNL

Post by HCJNL » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:10 pm

FloweringBud wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:05 am
The US passport does not confer residency rights. If asked OP's wife must answer, honestly, that she lives in the UK. Saying that she is on a round trip, entering and leaving the UK, is a really bad idea (attempt at deception).

jbug8181
Newly Registered

Post by jbug8181 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:29 am

Thanks everyone - so far, as expected, no restrictions leaving the UK. So we travel back soon, lets see how we fare. Current plan is to travel back on American passport - since thats visa free access.

Providing the airline allow us to fly (dont expect there will be an issue boarding), we will expect some questions at border control. We have bought our marriage certificate, naturalisation certiifcate, photocopy of BRP and evidence saying we were required to cut it up on acceptance of British citizenship

We are also travelling with our 2 year old british son, so we are hoping entering on a US passport plus above evidence will be justified.

However, if there are problems, we will have to just buy an onwward flight to the USA an enter as a tourist.

It is a really bizarre welcome of becoming a british citizen: immediately renounce your travel rights til you get a first passport with upto 8 week waiting, and you cant travel anywhere during this time ( as you have to hand in your american passport to get your british passport made).. which makes me nervous if there was a travel emergency meaning wife has to get back to the states, we would be truly stuck if she has to give up american passport whilst waiting for british passport....

strong_and_stable

Post by strong_and_stable » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:54 am

jbug8181 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:29 am
Thanks everyone - so far, as expected, no restrictions leaving the UK. So we travel back soon, lets see how we fare. Current plan is to travel back on American passport - since thats visa free access.

Providing the airline allow us to fly (dont expect there will be an issue boarding), we will expect some questions at border control. We have bought our marriage certificate, naturalisation certiifcate, photocopy of BRP and evidence saying we were required to cut it up on acceptance of British citizenship

We are also travelling with our 2 year old british son, so we are hoping entering on a US passport plus above evidence will be justified.

However, if there are problems, we will have to just buy an onwward flight to the USA an enter as a tourist.

It is a really bizarre welcome of becoming a british citizen: immediately renounce your travel rights til you get a first passport with upto 8 week waiting, and you cant travel anywhere during this time ( as you have to hand in your american passport to get your british passport made).. which makes me nervous if there was a travel emergency meaning wife has to get back to the states, we would be truly stuck if she has to give up american passport whilst waiting for british passport....
Thanks for keeping us updated. Will be good to know how it goes for you since this is a fairly common occurrence. Hope you return without issue!

If your wife has an emergency during the British passport application, she should be able to get an emergency passport from her embassy.
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... tact-form/

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:33 pm

jbug8181 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:29 am
It is a really bizarre welcome of becoming a british citizen: immediately renounce your travel rights
Or a deeply suspicious first act as a UK citizen: immediately leaving the country. It can be viewed both ways.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jbug8181
Newly Registered

Post by jbug8181 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:03 pm

I am not sure going on a pre-booked holiday to the continent for 5 days is deemable *deeply suspicious* for any British citizen... Especially since they only told us on the day of the ceremony that you must renounce your travel rights within 7 days. We wouldnt have booked a holiday so soon after ceremony if we had known.

Nor do I think it is deeply suspicious for a new British citizen to have the ability to travel to visit family in an emergency. To take away this right is a little inappropriate imo.

Silly process really.

On that note, strong_and_stable, thank you for the link to the US embassy emergency form. That gives us some reassurance if there is a problem when wife does hand over USA passport, there is potential to get a travel document in the event of emergency. Hopefully we wont need it but I can just imagine a worst case scenario of wife having no passport at all, an urgent problem in the USA, and scrambling to get the USA embassy to help.

HCJNL

Post by HCJNL » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am

I am not sure going on a pre-booked holiday to the continent for 5 days is deemable *deeply suspicious* for any British citizen...
Agreed. This situation must occur regularly.

It's great that you are keeping us informed. Much appreciated.

jbug8181
Newly Registered

Post by jbug8181 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:56 pm

Quick update:

Leaving UK: no problem, no questions.

Boarding flight rom Portugal to UK: Wife travelling on USA passport, didn't allow automatic check in (whixh has been routine if flying to UK on USA passport) so we had to check in at the desk....initially they wanted to see visa, explained she is British citizen and Americans don't need visa.. wife was sent to another desk.. one look at American passport and her boarding pass as issued, no questions asked, didn't want to see any other documents.. flight boarded uneventfully.

Arriving UK: Wife was asked if she lives in the UK (me carrying our little boy). She explained she was in process of applying for British passport, briefly showed her naturalisation certificate, onward discussion about how great California is, and that's was that, welcomed in with no further questions. We had a jolly immigration control guy, so I think that was a slice of luck. American passport and a British toddler also helps.

Now time to apply for wifes British passport straight away.

Thanks for all the advice above, we and our little guy had a really nice time in Portugal.

HCJNL

Post by HCJNL » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Brilliant! Very happy it worked out so well.
Thank you for keeping us so well informed.