ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent travel to India when OCI application is in progress

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

LearningCurve

OCI application experience - Edinburgh

Post by LearningCurve » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Hi all,
I submitted my OCI application to Edinburgh VSF this morning. Had an 8:45 appointment and was the 2nd person to be there, was relatively quiet and deserted when I got there at 8:45 this morning.

After completing my application form Part-A and Part-B online, documents category and documents uploaded online are as follows:
1. Current Passport: -> British passport
2. Indian Origin Proof: -> Cancelled Indian passport
3. Employment / Work Letter: -> Letter from employer
4. Marriage Certificate: -> Marriage certificate
5. Relationship certificate: -> Utility bill
6. Indian Visa: -> Indian Passport surrender certificate
7. PIO Card: -> UK Naturalisation certificate
8. Spouse OCI Card -> Wife’s Indian passport with my name printed in it

The hand-carried document set was as follows:
1. Originals of all the documentation uploaded online. They are:
a. Original British passport
b. Original last owned Indian passport which is now canceled
c. Original Indian passport surrender certificate
d. Original British citizen naturalisation certificate
e. Original marriage certificate
f. Print out of most recent electricity bill
g. Letter from employer
h. Original Indian passport of spouse with my name on it
2. 2 x set of copies of the above original documentation (1a to 1h). 1 x set was self-attested.
3. 2 x Royal Mail tracked and signed delivery envelops
4. 1 x photograph per specification

The lady at the counter took my application form, British passport and canceled Indian passport. She then asked me for my wife’s passport copy, which I handed over along with the rest of the document set.
She looked them up, literally about 3 to 5 mins and said it all looks ok. She didn’t need to see the original documents. She returned my canceled Indian passport and retained my British passport.

Retaining the British passport came as a bit of a surprise to me, as per online documentation, I was expecting them to retain the original documents set and review and return my British passport back to me.
After prelim checks were complete, I was expecting to drop off my British passport later on. Thinking about it, this is so much better / simpler to make it a single-step process.

On the timeline, I was told that my British passport would ideally arrive in 3 to 5 working days and the OCI would arrive in 3 to 4 weeks.

I paid £209.44 via debit card. Was a relatively quick and hassle-free experience.
Hope this is helpful to anyone who may be planning to or is submitting their OCI application in Edinburgh soon.

Please note: There may be subtle differences if you are applying in HCI London or VFS Birmingham, so please read relevant documentation and do your own research prior to application submission.

Best wishes,
LC

LearningCurve

Re: OCI application experience - Edinburgh

Post by LearningCurve » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:26 pm

Update:
I received my original British passport back on Friday last week, which is not bad, considering I had submitted the application on Monday last week.

Now to wait for the OCI to arrive within the next 3 to 4 weeks' time.

LearningCurve

Urgent travel to India when OCI application is in progress

Post by LearningCurve » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am

Hi all,

I will have to travel to India due to a personal emergency. My mom has been diagnosed Covid+ and very likely my dad will be too when he gets tested. I want to be around to support them during this time.

I submitted my OCI application on the 6th September and with the current normal processing time-line means, I am not due to receive my OCI until mid-October.

The e-visa is currently suspended. What is the best way to:
1. Expedite my OCI application. Is this even viable?
2. What is the quickest way to acquire a travel visa to India to travel to support my parents?

Also, I am aware, one cannot apply for two visas at the same time? Please advise.

Kind regards,
LC

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Re: Urgent travel to India when OCI application is in progress

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 am

Hi

You might have received an email from helpdesk-oci@nic.in after your application was accepted by the HCI/CGI in the UK.

I had submitted in Birmingham, and the mail says "IF ANY EMERGENCY, MAY PLS DROP US AN EMAIL AT INF.BIRMINGHAM@MEA.GOV.IN WITH YOUR OCI FILE NUMBER IN SUBJECT LINE AND REASON OF URGENCY IN SUBJECT CONTENT."

Please verify the email you got to find the email id for emergency. I would strongly recommend that you call embassy and speak to them of the emergency. They do issue emergency visa but it's up to their discretion. You can get a visa while OCI is in progress.

I wish speedy recovery to your parents. Good luck!

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:34 am

LearningCurve wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am
The e-visa is currently suspended. What is the best way to:
1. Expedite my OCI application. Is this even viable?
2. What is the quickest way to acquire a travel visa to India to travel to support my parents?
You can do both.

You may write to them asking for expediting your application, at the same time mention your condition/ situation and ask if applying for a travel visa under emergency/urgency would be viable.

The reason, I say so is OCI requires verification, though they can expedite paperwork but if verification takes time, they are tied, the decision maker would look into your case and let you know whether it would be better for you to apply travel visa and the procedure thereof too.

Try to provide as many documents or as much information with your application as possible, you would quicken the process for yourself.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:54 am

Thanks for the quick response @rainbowbutterfly and @dontringthebell.

I submitted my application at the VFS office in Edinburgh and did not receive such an e-mail from helpdesk-oci@nic.in.

I am sure there is an equivalent with which I shall make contact. Also, per the suggestion of @dontringthebell, I was also thinking the same as to ask them for a suggestion for an emergency visa and ask for an appointment if they are able to help as it may be at their discretion.

Thanks, guys!

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:26 pm

LearningCurve wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:54 am
Thanks for the quick response @rainbowbutterfly and @dontringthebell.

I submitted my application at the VFS office in Edinburgh and did not receive such an e-mail from helpdesk-oci@nic.in.

I am sure there is an equivalent with which I shall make contact. Also, per the suggestion of @dontringthebell, I was also thinking the same as to ask them for a suggestion for an emergency visa and ask for an appointment if they are able to help as it may be at their discretion.

Thanks, guys!
You may always write at this address …. Info.london@mea.gov.in this is for High Commission of India London, if incorrect they would automatically direct you, if anything it would expedite your case.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:49 pm

Thank you @dontrngthebell. From a quick search, I found oci.edinburgh@mea.gov.in. So have written to them as a matter of urgency. If no response I will write to HCI, London.

LearningCurve

Re: OCI application experience - Edinburgh

Post by LearningCurve » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:11 pm

Update: Received my OCI card last week on Thursday the 7th of October. I had submitted my application in Edinburgh on the 6th of September.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Update: I managed to get through to the Consular General in Edinburgh and reached out to him directly by writing to him @ hoc.edinburgh@mea.gov.in

Given my circumstances, I was given an emergency appointment at the VFS office and I submitted my visa application on Monday the 20th of September when the earliest available appointment through the website was on the 7th of October.

I was granted an emergency visa on medical grounds within 3 days and received my passport with visa vignette on the 23rd of September.

I am very grateful to the Indian consulate to turn around a visa within such a short timeline.

Thanks for your support here guys.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:49 am

LearningCurve wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:18 pm
Update: I managed to get through to the Consular General in Edinburgh and reached out to him directly by writing to him @ hoc.edinburgh@mea.gov.in

Given my circumstances, I was given an emergency appointment at the VFS office and I submitted my visa application on Monday the 20th of September when the earliest available appointment through the website was on the 7th of October.

I was granted an emergency visa on medical grounds within 3 days and received my passport with visa vignette on the 23rd of September.

I am very grateful to the Indian consulate to turn around a visa within such a short timeline.

Thanks for your support here guys.

Great outcome … you have the visa as well as OCI … though waste of money however, time was of the essence for you.

They do get a lot of slack but mostly they help in genuine cases. There are lot of people who try all sorts of tricks to by pass the system and then diss the consulate.