ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application for newborn

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Salvi
Newly Registered
Mood:

Citizenship application for newborn

Post by Salvi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:02 pm

Hi,

My daughter was born in the UK and is 3 month old. I was on Tier 2 General visa but got my ILR almost 3 months after her birth.

I know she will not be automatically considered a British citizen. So I am making an application on her behalf under form MN1 - "Apply for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen", and will follow it up by making an application for her British passport.

The problem I am facing is with the MN1 form, in particular, the requirement around references. I need to put in 2 references - these references need to be British citizen, not be related to my daughter and not to each other, and at least one referee needs to have dealt with my daughter in a professional capacity e.g. a doctor, healthcare visitor or teacher.

The form requires me to enter the address of the referee, their contact number and their British passport number.

The problem is, i am struggling to find anyone who would provide me with such personal information. I have a friend who I have put down as one of the references, but how do i get someone who has dealt with my daughter in a "professional" capacity to divulge that kind of personal information? At just 3 months, its only her GP and healthcare visitor.

I am a bit stumped. I thought for a moment if i was in the wrong application category but I dont see another category that appears more appropriate in the circumstances. Any help guys? Has anyone faced a similar issue?

ps - we need to travel in December, and she already has a passport from Pakistan. Thing is i can fly out my daughter using that passport, but how will I ever get her back in the UK as she doesn't yet have a visa. And I am trying to avoid applying for her visa as i would have to pay for NHS surcharge wont I - might as well just pay for citizenship / passport which is over £1K as well!

Salvi
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: Citizenship application for newborn

Post by Salvi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:31 pm

UPDATE: so i completed a draft of the application and on the final page where it presents a checklist to make sure you are providing the required documents to support the application, there is a check box in the end that basically says that i am going to provide the current BRP of my child.

Only problem is i dont have one yet.

I don't have my child's BRP as i never registered her - i was under the assumption that i could directly apply for her citizenship as I acquired ILR a couple months after her birth.

Doing a bit of digging, i now think I need to get her biometrics done first and get a BRP (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 2-2020.pdf).

I am getting a bit confused now as I am not sure what route to take. Since I now hold an ILR, will i need to apply under SET(F) for my newborn to get her an ILR as well? This will set me back £2.3K and I am not sure if this is really needed as she was born in the UK and per the guidance i obtained previously, is eligible to apply for citizenship?

Help? :(

db101

Post by db101 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:36 am

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-born-uk/under-18

why you don't apply online paper form will take extra time.. check the link above

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:30 am

ILR or leave is not required.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Salvi
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Salvi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:42 am

db101 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:36 am
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-born-uk/under-18

why you don't apply online paper form will take extra time.. check the link above
I am applying online. In the end it asks me to check off that i will be providing my daughters BRP with the application - which i dont have of course?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:35 am

The checklist is generic. Ignore the brp requirement. UKVI do actually know the rules!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

db101

Post by db101 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:09 pm

is it says IF you have?

or u might selected she has BRP that is why it's comes up in list.

Salvi
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Salvi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:08 pm

db101 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:09 pm
is it says IF you have?

or u might selected she has BRP that is why it's comes up in list.
No where in the application did it ask if my daughter held BRP. However having read that final checklist again, it says:

From the list of documents below, provide as many as you can. Tick each document to confirm that you have read the requirement, even if you cannot send it. If you are unsure about any of the evidence, read the guidance.

based on the above, i think if i don't select the BRP requirement and submit it should go ahead. Thanks for pointing that out!

Salvi
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Salvi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:35 am
The checklist is generic. Ignore the brp requirement. UKVI do actually know the rules!!
Thanks for the response! Regarding the reference issue, i am thinking of obtaining a generic reference letter from GP confirming my daughter is registered with them and providing that letter on top of the 2 references i am giving in the application as these two references will NOT have dealt with my daughter in professional capacity (just family friends). I intend to include a covering letter to explain this, and also highlight this in the "other info" box in the main application. I think this should suffice shouldn't it?