ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Domestic staff visa - citizen status

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Chicha
Newly Registered

Domestic staff visa - citizen status

Post by Chicha » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:46 pm

I am trying to gather info on whether my family member would be eligible to apply for British citizenship or any other status. They were born in London,UK in 1987, her mother was working as a domestic staff and had such visa for a private household. They then left UK in 1987. Would she be eligible for anything immigration wise?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Domestic staff visa - citizen status

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:46 pm

Simple answer is no, not based on what you have stated.

The person would have to find a visa they qualify for and apply and follow a qualifying route to indefinite leave to remain and then citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Domestic staff visa - citizen status

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:00 pm

For your family member to have any citizenship benefit based on being born in the UK, they would have needed to either have lived for the first ten years of their life in the UK or to have met certain requirements to be registered as a British citizen before their 18th birthday.

As neither of these requirements have been met, there is no citizenship benefit to having been born in the UK. They would need to start their UK immigration journey just like any other non-UK citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.