ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for child born abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

migrant_uk16
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Citizenship for child born abroad

Post by migrant_uk16 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Hello

Can you please help what is a strong/good path to follow for child born abroad to get citizenship.

2016 - Child born abroad to parents with NO ILR
2019 - Father gets ILR
2020 - Mother and Child gets ILR in December

Question is, when can we apply for citizenship of Child
OptionA - Father and Child apply today. In this case, mother is on ILR and child has not done 12 months on ILR

OptionB - Father and Child apply in December. In this case, mother is on ILR but child has done 12 months on ILR

Option C - Father applies, and once citizenship granted then both mother and Child applies.
We checked online and came across following quote but did not understand:
Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or more children who are not automatically British at birth to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family application”. Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK.
We also tried filling online form (not submitted) for Father plus Child and we received a fees of 2380.40, which I think is calculated as 1330 + 19.2 + 1012 + 19.2 = 2380.40

Edit:
Our goal is for both father and child to get citizenship ASAP, but following a route with more surety and not discretionary.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship for child born abroad

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:59 pm

The child can apply at the same time as father provided the mother also has ILR, which she has.

There is no 12 months ILR period for children under 18.

For children born abroad, it is only the discretionary route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

migrant_uk16
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by migrant_uk16 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:53 am

Thank-you!

With regards to Documents, the application page shows the following bullet points.
I believe since it is mix of naturalisation and registration - it is showing in this manner....
  • Passport issued for FATHER - we plan to include both passports old and new as both have entry and exit stamps
  • Passport issued for CHILD - we plan to include both passports old and new, although new passport has no stamps
  • Proof of FATHERs parental responsibility for CHILD - we plan to include non UK/EU birth certificate of child used in previous applications
  • Proof of MOTHERs parental responsibility for CHILD - we plan to include non UK/EU birth certificate of child, although used above.
  • A letter of consent from CHILD's parent(s) or legal guardian(s) - will we be given a template for this once we make payment?
  • FATHER proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions - we plan to include FATHER BRP showing ILR
  • CHILD birth certificate (showing details of both parents) - we plan to include birth certificate of child, although used above.
  • If CHILD told us that their parent is settled in the UK then you must provide us evidence of their settled status - we plan to include BRP of FATHER, although used above.
  • CHILD's parent marriage certificate - OK
  • Current BRP for FATHER - OK although used above.
  • FATHER ENGLISH LANGUAGE - IELS UKVI Life Skills B1, not appearing again but using same as the one used for ILR.
  • Proof of living in the UK for FATHER for 5 years - passport, although used above. Should I include letter of employment or P60 for the last 5 tax-years
  • Referee Declarations (2) for FATHER - OK
  • Referee Declarations (2) for CHILD - OK
  • CHILD BRP - OK
Can you please help :
- if the document that we plan to submit against each requirement looks OK
- is it acceptable to reuse document
- how to get consent letter template
- do I need to include letter of employment or P60 to show last 5 years
- is there any other document that needs to be uploaded

Thanks again for the help

migrant_uk16
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by migrant_uk16 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:12 am

In addition to question on Documents, can you please help me with below:

Can school head teacher and school class teacher act as referee for the child application for registration as British citizen.

In the application form of father - they ask for profession of referee

But in the application form of child - they don't ask for profession.

Child was born abroad to parents on UK Visa. Since then both parents and child have acquired ILR and now child and one parent is applying for citizenship.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:40 am

Yes, a teacher can be used. Have you not looked at the list if professions that are acceptable?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

migrant_uk16
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by migrant_uk16 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the guidance on the referee details, I have now read the guidelines on that topic. :oops:

Can you please help with the question on documents posted above:
- if the document that we plan to submit against each requirement looks OK
- is it acceptable to reuse document
- how to get consent letter template
- do I need to include letter of employment or P60 to show last 5 years
- is there any other document that needs to be uploaded

migrant_uk16
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by migrant_uk16 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:31 pm

Child was born abroad to parents on UK Tier-2 Visa. Since then both the parents and the child have acquired ILR and now child and one parent is applying for citizenship on the same application. Parent through naturalisation and child as registration.

Can you please confirm if document list below is all that is required?

- Passport for Father - scan of all pages of both old and new passport
- BRP of Father showing ILR
- Father English language certificate used for ILR
- Father knowledge of life used for ILR
- Referee declaration (2) for Father
- Passport for Child - scan of all pages of both old and new passport
- Birth certificate of Child
- BRP of Child showing ILR
- Parents marriage certificate
- Referee declaration (2) for Child
- Letter of consent

migrant_uk16
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by migrant_uk16 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 pm

From where can I get template for Letter of consent that needs to be included for child registration? Thanks for the help

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:15 pm

migrant_uk16 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 pm
From where can I get template for Letter of consent that needs to be included for child registration? Thanks for the help
You'll find a template in this thread: british-citizenship/mn1-for-child-requi ... e#p1969288
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.