ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor Visa for Parent

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tirfk

Visitor Visa for Parent

Post by tirfk » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:56 am

Hello Admins, If someone can help me with below queries, I would be really greatful.
I wish to get a visit visa for my father (my mom expired few years ago).
He currently lives in Riyadh with my brother. He holds indian passport.
He wishes to come for few weeks to UK under visitor Visa.
- Does he needs to apply from India or can he apply from Riyadh itself?
-With Covid Rules, its not possible to get a visit visa from india, if he wishes to go to india and then apply from there
- if the visa is stamped, is there a rule that he needs to make the journey within 6months- (if we apply for 2yrs multiple visit visa), if we get only 6months visa- and if he comes at the end of 4th month or 5th month, can we extend the visa as he lived less than 1/2 months or does he needs to go back to Riyadh and re-apply?
- no underlying conditions and completed 2 jabs, will age be a factor with UK visas where they may reject?

Help will be appreciated.

secret.simon

Re: Visitor Visa for Parent

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:57 am

tirfk wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:56 am
Does he have a long term residence visa in Saudi Arabia or is he a visitor there? If the former, he can apply from there. If the latter, he needs to apply from India.
tirfk wrote:
(if we apply for 2yrs multiple visit visa)
It would be unwise to apply for a 2 year multiple visit visa if he has no prior travel history to the UK. He needs to build up his travel history, by applying for a few 6 month visit visas before applying for a 2 year visit visa. It is like building up your credit score.
tirfk wrote:
- no underlying conditions and completed 2 jabs, will age be a factor with UK visas where they may reject?
No. But keep in mind that on visit visas, he will be billed at 150% of any NHS use. And failure to pay will put the kibosh on any future visit visas.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Visitor visa applications from red list countries (e.g. India) are currently paused. Saudi Arabia is on the amber list and provided your Dad has resident status he can apply from there.

If he gets a 6 month visit visa his visit must end on or before the visa expiry date
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:14 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:57 am
tirfk wrote:
Does he have a long term residence visa in Saudi Arabia or is he a visitor there? If the former, he can apply from there. If the latter, he needs to apply from India.
tirfk wrote:
He has a residence visa in Riyadh.
(if we apply for 2yrs multiple visit visa)
It would be unwise to apply for a 2 year multiple visit visa if he has no prior travel history to the UK. He needs to build up his travel history, by applying for a few 6 month visit visas before applying for a 2 year visit visa. It is like building up your credit score.
tirfk wrote:
He visited once to UK in 2010. Will it be wise to hold until he knows for certain when he can visit then apply or apply and get visa and be ready whenever he wish to visit?
No. But keep in mind that on visit visas, he will be billed at 150% of any NHS use. And failure to pay will put the kibosh on any future visit visas. Happy to pay 150% if needed be.

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:16 pm

SO if we get a 2yrs multiple entry visa then there is stipulated time frame as to when he can visit (I mean the first visit)
If we apply for 6months, then the clocks starting ticking the day the visa is stamped on his passport and he needs to visit within stipulated time? If he visits at 4th or 5th month, Can he extend it for another 6months by being in the UK or he needs to go back and re-apply?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:30 pm

tirfk wrote:
if we get only 6months visa- and if he comes at the end of 4th month or 5th month, can we extend the visa
manci wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:07 pm
If he gets a 6 month visit visa his visit must end on or before the visa expiry date
From the visitor guidance:
A single entry or 6-month visa can also be extended to complete 6 months’ in the UK as a visitor. Applications must be made before the original permission expires.

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:38 pm

Thank you- a final clarification; If he was granted with 2 yrs multiple entry visa- is there a stipulated time frame for his first entry- like should make entry within first 6months etc?
Where can I find the comprehensive list of documents needed to submit the application-any thread?
Thank you. :D

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:50 pm

tirfk wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:38 pm
is there a stipulated time frame for his first entry
To the best of my knowledge, No.

Indeed, even after getting a visit visa, it is not necessary or required that he visit the UK at all.
tirfk wrote:
Where can I find the comprehensive list of documents needed to submit the application-any thread?
There isn't a single comprehensive list for such documents, simply because the documents would vary depending on the circumstances of the applicant.

In this case, your father would need to demonstrate that he has stronger links to his country of habitual residence (Saudi Arabia) than he has to the UK (via his child being located here).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi everyone.
We have applied for visa for my father in Riyadh. As he will be staying with me for a while (he is widowed) i was wondering is there a possibility to get PR for him and if so what would be the procedure (he is 72yrs). He had some surgeries in the past and he is dependent on us -though he dont need a daily care as such.(my brother lives in Canada- which is lot colder for his age). It will be helpful to have permenant residency so that he can shuttle between me and my brother as in when needed. It will also hugely help us medically if needed.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:30 pm

tirfk wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm
i was wondering is there a possibility to get PR for him
Assuming you are a British citizen it would be difficult to get an adult dependent relative visa for your Dad. The conditions are onerous:
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/adult ... t-relative

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Simply put, your father has a better chance of getting a Supervisa in Canada than being able to move to the UK.

To apply for an Adult Dependent Relative visa in the UK, your father will need to prove that
(a) he needs help with basic daily tasks, such as washing up, bathing, etc, AND
(b) that such help is unavailable or unaffordable in the country of his habitual residence.

The success rate of ADR visas is about 6% before appeal (94% failure rate) and 21% after appeals (i.e. even after appeals about 80% of ADR visas are rejected).

If he has a son in Canada, I would suggest looking at options there.

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:13 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:50 pm
tirfk wrote:
is there a stipulated time frame for his first entry
To the best of my knowledge, No.

Indeed, even after getting a visit visa, it is not necessary or required that he visit the UK at all.
tirfk wrote:
There isn't a single comprehensive list for such documents, simply because the documents would vary depending on the circumstances of the applicant.

In this case, your father would need to demonstrate that he has stronger links to his country of habitual residence (Saudi Arabia) than he has to the UK (via his child being located here).
Thank you every one- My father got the entry clearance Visa today. We specified intended date of travel to be in December so we were hoping to get a visa from December 1st until May end (6 months) however they gave the visa starting from 21st sept until 21st march. The stamp clearly says valid until 21st March. It also says duration 180 days. Do we need to extend the visa once he is here or its automatically understood that its for 180 days? Please clarify :)

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:49 am

Hello there
Thanks everyone for your replies. My father will be coming to UK in the next couple of weeks and I need to sort health insurance for him which has sort become a bit challenge for me. I'm sure someone might have gone through this before and can guide me.
- Do I need to take travel insurance which covers health as well?
- As he is indian passport holder but been settled in Saudi- do we need to take travel insurance in Saudi or india?
- Over 72 with (some pre existing medical conditions- nothing serious)- so hard to find a sensible insurance without eye watering prices?
- for eg Allainz quoted me about £800 a month - thats a lot.

Anyone- can you please suggest or advice?

Thank you.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 pm

tirfk wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:49 am
Do I need to take travel insurance which covers health as well?
- As he is indian passport holder but been settled in Saudi- do we need to take travel insurance in Saudi or india?
- Over 72 with (some pre existing medical conditions- nothing serious)- so hard to find a sensible insurance without eye watering prices?

Anyone- can you please suggest or advice?
In England, you will pay up front for any NHS service that is not a free service. It's 150% of the national NHS costs. The UK government recommends that visitors and those not allowed to use the NHS, get insurance to claim back any money they have paid to the NHS.

If you live in one of the other UK nations, you will need to look on their NHS site.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:46 pm

tirfk wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:49 am
- Do I need to take travel insurance which covers health as well?
JB007 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 pm
In England, you will pay up front for any NHS service that is not a free service. It's 150% of the national NHS costs. The UK government recommends that visitors and those not allowed to use the NHS, get insurance to claim back any money they have paid to the NHS.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare- ... ing-the-uk
Travel insurance

The government always advises visitors to the UK to take out travel or health insurance. This means that you can reclaim any healthcare costs you are required to pay from your insurer.

Check your insurance has the necessary healthcare coverage to make sure you can get the treatment you need during your visit.

Insurance is particularly important for those with a pre-existing health condition. You must tell your insurance company about any health conditions you have to make sure you can get the cover you need.

Speak to your doctor for advice before you travel and make plans for how to care for your condition when you are in the UK. You should also bring your health condition identification or a letter saying what medication you are taking.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Serices that are free for visitors with NHS England, with the advice-

If you're visiting England for less than 6 months, you should ensure you're covered for healthcare through personal medical insurance during your visit, even if you're a former UK resident. If you're not ordinarily resident in the UK and you need to pay for NHS hospital treatment, you'll be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visitin ... om-abroad/

There are links at the top of that page to the NHS pages of Wales, Northern Irleand and Scotland.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:17 pm

To see what your father will be charged for if he needs treatment in England, this if the November 2021 "Guidance for implementing the overseas visitor charging regulations" for England.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ations.pdf

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:57 pm

tirfk wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:13 pm
We specified intended date of travel to be in December so we were hoping to get a visa from December 1st until May end (6 months) however they gave the visa starting from 21st sept until 21st march. The stamp clearly says valid until 21st March. It also says duration 180 days. Do we need to extend the visa once he is here or its automatically understood that its for 180 days? Please clarify :)
My limited understanding is that the visa will expire on the end date stated. Wait for others to advise, such as @CR001 @secret.simon @vinny @zimba

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:11 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:57 pm
tirfk wrote:
We specified intended date of travel to be in December so we were hoping to get a visa from December 1st until May end (6 months) however they gave the visa starting from 21st sept until 21st march. The stamp clearly says valid until 21st March. It also says duration 180 days. Do we need to extend the visa once he is here or its automatically understood that its for 180 days? Please clarify :)
My limited understanding is that the visa will expire on the end date stated. Wait for others to advise, such as @CR001 @secret.simon @vinny @zimba
I concur with the advice above. The visit visa is valid for a visit or visits of upto 180 days between the two days mentioned in the visa (21st September and 21st March). Those are the maximum limits of the visa and exceeding them will be considered overstaying.

It may be challenging to extend the visa. Keep in mind that visitors are not supposed to "live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home;". He may be asked as to why he needs to extend the visit visa further. There may be some perfectly legitimate reasons to extend the visit visa, such as the expected birth of a grandchild being later than expected. But just wanting to stay is unlikely to be considered one of them.

And if he can afford to stay back and extend his visa at will, then future visit visas can get complicated, because the stronger ties to his country of habitual residence are not as strong as purported.

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:06 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:11 pm
JB007 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:57 pm
tirfk wrote:
I concur with the advice above. The visit visa is valid for a visit or visits of upto 180 days between the two days mentioned in the visa (21st September and 21st March). Those are the maximum limits of the visa and exceeding them will be considered overstaying.

It may be challenging to extend the visa. Keep in mind that visitors are not supposed to "live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home;". He may be asked as to why he needs to extend the visit visa further. There may be some perfectly legitimate reasons to extend the visit visa, such as the expected birth of a grandchild being later than expected. But just wanting to stay is unlikely to be considered one of them.

And if he can afford to stay back and extend his visa at will, then future visit visas can get complicated, because the stronger ties to his country of habitual residence are not as strong as purported.
Dear secret.siome
thanks for your answer. Its helpful. I spoke to UK VISAs too and they also mentioned that he need to return to his country and apply again.
In these difficult times its not as easy as to catch a flight and go to different country and come back. We planned his trips properly. When we applied for his visa- we clearly mentioned intended date of travel 1st of Dec. Even still they gave visa from Sept until March. He wishes to spend some quality time with his son and grand children. He is 72 yrs old. At these uncertain times- they cannot say he should leave. They gave the visa for wrong dates. I wish to apply for extension for the remaining 3months and see- is someone there who have done this and successful please?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:06 pm

tirfk wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:06 am
He wishes to spend some quality time with his son and grand children. He is 72 yrs old. At these uncertain times- they cannot say he should leave.
Of course they can. The UK put their own pensioners in jail for not paying their council tax bills.
tirfk wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:06 am
They gave the visa for wrong dates. I wish to apply for extension for the remaining 3months and see- is someone there who have done this and successful please?

You should have sorted out the correct dates you wanted before he travelled. In his visa application, how long did he say he would stay in the UK on his visit.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:49 pm

tirfk wrote:
Thank you every one- My father got the entry clearance Visa today. We specified intended date of travel to be in December so we were hoping to get a visa from December 1st until May end (6 months) however they gave the visa starting from 21st sept until 21st march. The stamp clearly says valid until 21st March. It also says duration 180 days. Do we need to extend the visa once he is here or its automatically understood that its for 180 days? Please clarify :)
See also 4. ECB9.4 Validity of entry clearance. I think he has until 21st March.

If he overstays for over 30 days, then he may face an re-entry ban.

If they had ignored a deferred date request, then try asking them to correct the endorsement error?
JB007 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:06 pm
In his visa application, how long did he say he would stay in the UK on his visit.
Indeed, they may respond that the holder is still able to stay in the UK for the requested period within the validity of the visa.

Moreover,
vinny wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 am
Be careful if stayed longer than previously requested.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:31 pm

vinny wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:49 pm
tirfk wrote:
See also 4. ECB9.4 Validity of entry clearance. I think he has until 21st March.

If he overstays for over 30 days, then he may face an re-entry ban.

If they had ignored a deferred date request, then try asking them to correct the endorsement error?
JB007 wrote:
In his visa application, how long did he say he would stay in the UK on his visit.
Indeed, they may respond that the holder is still able to stay in the UK for the requested period within the validity of the visa.

Moreover,
vinny wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 am
Be careful if stayed longer than previously requested.
Dear Vinny
Thank you- those are really good info you shared. In this case the entry clearance and date of travel seem same. As he is already in the UK now, we cannot go back to the ECO to differ the date. Is there any other way we can contact them and ask to rectify the date please? This will be really helpful as we really planned his visits accordingly and pushing this date by more than 2 months we will be in real hot waters.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:32 pm

tirfk wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:31 pm
...we really planned his visits accordingly and pushing this date by more than 2 months we will be in real hot waters.
You haven't answered this question
JB007 wrote:

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:20 pm

We said we are going to stay 6months. My brother needs some time to sort out the visa in Canada and he dont have anyone to look after him in India.