ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mayyur123

Child citizenship

Post by mayyur123 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:48 pm

Hi,
My question is, if both parents have indefinite leave and child under 18 also has indefinite leave but child was not born in the UK, can we apply to register that child as british or child also must have to complete one year after indefinite leave to remain before citizenship application?
Thanks.

secret.simon

Re: Child citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:51 pm

mayyur123 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:48 pm
Hi,
My question is, if both parents have indefinite leave and child under 18 also has indefinite leave but child was not born in the UK, can we apply to register that child as british or child also must have to complete one year after indefinite leave to remain before citizenship application?
Thanks.
Assuming that the child has not celebrated their 18th birthday, they does not need to complete one year on ILR.

However, one of the parents should either be a British citizen or applying to be a British citizen at the same time.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mayyur123

Post by mayyur123 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:00 pm

But parents has to complete one year after indefinite so that’s mean child also has to wait? And if we try to apply now for child and if child’s application is refused then can we apply after one year with us or is there any time restrictions for second application fo citizenship or application can be filed only once?
Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:07 pm

The child only qualifies to apply when either parent also does,so yes,the child has to wait

If you apply now and it is refused, you lose the fee of over £1000.

You will have to apply and pay again for the child when either parent applies
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:09 pm

If parents have to wait for a year on ILR, then yes, the child will have to wait with them.
mayyur123 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:00 pm
And if we try to apply now for child and if child’s application is refused then can we apply after one year with us
Yes. You do lose the fees though and will need to pay them again with another application.
mayyur123 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:00 pm
is there any time restrictions for second application fo citizenship or application can be filed only once?
No and No.

EDIT: Overtaken by CR001
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mayyur123

Post by mayyur123 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 pm

Thanks for replies, I appreciate it.
Actually one of my family friend had same situation, both parents had indefinite and their son under 18 also had indefinite, they applied for son’s citizenship and it was granted, both parents did not apply citizenship.
I was confused, so now i m more confused that should i apply for my child or not.
But I really appreciate your answers and time. Thanks.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:13 pm

Was their son born in the UK?

If you can afford to lose ~£1000, you can take a chance. It's your money and your luck.

mayyur123

Post by mayyur123 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:44 pm

Their son was not born in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:46 pm

Just because your friend might have been successful, whatever their circumstances, doesn't mean you will be too. If refused, which is highly likely, you lose the fee. There are no appeal rights for citizenship applications that are refused.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.