ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query regarding B1 language test

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sach100
Newly Registered
India

ILR application for a PBS dependent

Post by Sach100 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:25 am

Hi,

My wife is in PBS dependant (Type of Permit - PBS dependent leave to remain) VISA for more than 5 years.

She got her first visa from in Dec 2014. At that point, I had a Tier 1 (General) Visa (this was due to expire on July 2016). So she got a Visa of one and a half years.

Then, in 2016 (august) she applied for the first extension. And she got this for 3 years till august 2019 (So total 4 and half years). Please note - I had got my IRL just before she applied for her VISA (This was through 5-year residency route).

A third extension was required and she applied for the second extension around July 2019. Please note I am currently a British citizen.

Now she has completed her 5 years in this VISA category, as mentioned earlier. We want to apply for her ILR now via 5-year residency route.

I have the below questions
1. Which form should I use - Set-O (https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/set-o) or Set-M (https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/set-m). Please confirm if the link I provided is correct.
2. What documents are required?
3. Is any proof for the maintenance of fund required?
4. Link to any guide

Thanks a lot for your help.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ILR application for a PBS dependent

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:11 am

1) SET(O)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-seto

2) PBS dependents ILR is straight forward. Majorly, passport(s) covering the qualifying period, BRP, LIUK, English Requirements, last 2 years cohabitation documents. Absence limits only for any leave granted after 11th Jan 2018. The checklist will let you know about the documents also.

3) No.

4) https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 0_v1.0.pdf

Your wife is eligible for ILR since when she completed 5 years minus 28 days from first visa issue date i.e. since Dec 2019. You could have applied for her extension and varied to ILR by Dec 2019 easily as she had valid leave till Aug 2019 but well its too late now.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Sach100
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sach100 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:36 am

Hi Cullinan,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Happy new year.

Though it is not applicable/late now but just want to know a little bit about 'varied' bit? What is that? When you have a little time can you please explain?

I had actually asked for help here explaining the situation (immigration-for-family-members/immigrat ... l#p1789914). I was entirely unaware of the term 'varied' at that point and even now.

Thanks once again

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:52 am

As I mentioned, it is too late now, but I feel bad when someone has to loose hefty amounts of fees and IHS when there could be a possible work around. But as I said, it is too late. You can read the following topic FYI but please keep all your follow up questions in your own tread.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/can-i-vary-t ... 08137.html
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:10 pm

Not sure if the rules around "varying" the application would have helped.

If you applied for your wife's extension in July/Aug 2019, it was possibly granted well before Nov 2019, which would have been the earliest that she was eligible for ILR.

You can submit a new application to replace a previous application that is still pending with HO - that is what "varying" means. The fees for the previous application would be refunded, in that case.

But, if the renewal was not granted at the time she became eligible, then she could have varied the application to ILR. But, even then, I don't think the IHS would have been refunded, but you would have saved the extension application fee.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:57 pm

@marcnath
If you applied for your wife's extension in July/Aug 2019, it was possibly granted well before Nov 2019, which would have been the earliest that she was eligible for ILR.
Not until biometrics were submitted for extension. Variation could have been done earlier (right after submitting biometrics for extension) and as long the decision for ILR was made when she qualifies it would have been granted. So biometrics for ILR could have been submitted when she actually qualified. 45 working days gives good margin for a possible work around.

July/Aug 2019 extension
45 working days takes to Oct 2019

Variation for ILR and 45 working days takes to Dec 2019.
I don't think the IHS would have been refunded
A couple members have reported receiving both fees and IHS refunded after variation.

Sach100
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sach100 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 pm

Thanks a lot both @Cullinan and @Marcnath.

Can you please tell me what documents to show for last 2 years cohabitation? There is no bill which is in my wife's name.

Thanks once again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:58 pm

Sach100 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 pm
Thanks a lot both @Cullinan and @Marcnath.

Can you please tell me what documents to show for last 2 years cohabitation? There is no bill which is in my wife's name.

Thanks once again.
3/4 different sources evenly spread for the last 2 years i.e. every 3/4 months. Ideally in joint names or top up with sole name documents but same address. Could be bills, tenancy agreement, council tax, bank statements etc.

Sach100
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sach100 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:37 pm

Ah okk cool. Thanks.

Sach100
Newly Registered
India

Query regarding B1 language test

Post by Sach100 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:55 am

Hello,
I want to apply for my wife's ILR.

My wife completed her BCom from a college affiliated Bangalore University. I have submitted the following documents to NARIC (https://www.ecctis.com/)
  • Marks card (Bangalore University).
  • Degree Certificate (Bangalore University).
  • Letter to show that the course was taught in English (from the affiliated college)
NARIC is asking for an additional letter from Bangalore University confirming that the college was affiliated with Bangalore University for the tenure of the course. Adding to the complication Bangalore university has changed to Bangalore City University (They were prompt in replying and has confirmed they won't be able to help and contact BU). I have contacted BU but no response (neither via phone nor email)

Now, we are looking at the alternative route of English Language Test

In gov.uk it says
"If you are in the UK
You can only take a SELT with one of the following providers:
  • IELTS SELT Consortium
  • LanguageCert
  • Pearson
  • Trinity College London
I can't figure out which B1 test to take and from where. I would like to appreciate it if someone can help me with this and/or provide some links?

Thanks a lot

Kind regards

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Query regarding B1 language test

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:35 am

Sach100 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:55 am
Hello,
I want to apply for my wife's ILR.

My wife completed her BCom from a college affiliated Bangalore University. I have submitted the following documents to NARIC (https://www.ecctis.com/)
  • Marks card (Bangalore University).
  • Degree Certificate (Bangalore University).
  • Letter to show that the course was taught in English (from the affiliated college)
NARIC is asking for an additional letter from Bangalore University confirming that the college was affiliated with Bangalore University for the tenure of the course. Adding to the complication Bangalore university has changed to Bangalore City University (They were prompt in replying and has confirmed they won't be able to help and contact BU). I have contacted BU but no response (neither via phone nor email)

Now, we are looking at the alternative route of English Language Test

In gov.uk it says
"If you are in the UK
You can only take a SELT with one of the following providers:
  • IELTS SELT Consortium
  • LanguageCert
  • Pearson
  • Trinity College London
I can't figure out which B1 test to take and from where. I would like to appreciate it if someone can help me with this and/or provide some links?

Thanks a lot

Kind regards
You may want to type in Google "trinity college gese b1 test"
Go through and follow instructions on the booking page.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:59 pm

Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Sach100
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sach100 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am

Hi @AmazonianX and @Zimba,

Thanks so much for your help.

Kind Regards.