ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Status

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rahulgill
Newly Registered

OCI Status

Post by rahulgill » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before.
Just wanted to check if a child OCI card needs to be renewed after renewing British passport.
My son, eight years old, OCI is linked to his old British passport. Both of his old and current valid British passport are in our custody. We have travelled to India previously with his OCI and both old and new British passport without any issues. I have heard that rules have changed and OCI have to be linked to current valid passport. We are planning to travel in December, just wondering if we would be allowed to travel as before by carrying both old and current valid passport or not. Please can you kind people share your experience, thought or suggestion.

Regards

Rahul

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: OCI Status

Post by dontringthebell » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:15 pm

You may update details here … https://ociservices.gov.in/capchaActionMisc

You may continue to update your son's passport details everytime its issued until he turns 20 years of age, after which, he would be issued a new OCI Card.

This service is free of charge and online only.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

rahulgill
Newly Registered

Post by rahulgill » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:25 am

Thanks for taking time to respond.

So, if I understand this correctly, all I have to do this use Misc Services to report his new passport details and continue to do the same for future passport(s) until he turns 20 years and replacement OCI card would NOT be issued.

Many thanks

rahulgill
Newly Registered

Post by rahulgill » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:39 am

Please ignore my last post. Sorry I misunderstood it. New OCI will be issued after reporting via Misc Services.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:26 am

rahulgill wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:25 am
Thanks for taking time to respond.

So, if I understand this correctly, all I have to do this use Misc Services to report his new passport details and continue to do the same for future passport(s) until he turns 20 years and replacement OCI card would NOT be issued.

Many thanks
Absolutely correct … A person will have only two OCI cards one before & one after 20 years of age, you may however, continue to update details all along.

If however, at any time after 20 there is a major change in particulars like name change, surname change, gender change, facial feature changes etc … a new card would be issued.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

rahulgill
Newly Registered

Post by rahulgill » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Thanks dontringthebell

So for updating the new passport details using OCI Misc Services they are asking for a photograph and signature of child. Not sure why signature of a child is required. I guess I have to take his thumb impression.

So, once I have submitted his photo and signature or thumb impression that would suffice their requirement or is there anything further to do? Please answer.

Regards,

Amit

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:22 pm

rahulgill wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm
Thanks dontringthebell

So for updating the new passport details using OCI Misc Services they are asking for a photograph and signature of child. Not sure why signature of a child is required. I guess I have to take his thumb impression.

So, once I have submitted his photo and signature or thumb impression that would suffice their requirement or is there anything further to do? Please answer.

Regards,

Amit
Yes they would ask because a new passport means a photo would have changed. You can upload the same photo as per the new passport. Also, usually children can write their name if not sign. I recently applied for my 8 years old daughter's first OCI and she just wrote her name, thats perfectly acceptable.

I havent yet updated details on OCI yet but I was explained to by the VFS representative at my appointment. I guess this would be it along with the new passport details of course.

rahulgill
Newly Registered

Post by rahulgill » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:26 am

Thanks dontringthebell

I have submitted misc services form and attached my son's photo (same as on his passport) and his name as signature. I have received an acknowledgement email of the submission. There is nothing else do be done right?

Many thanks

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:06 pm

That's it buddy .... just keep the acknowledgement email safe.

I would always keep a hard copy though you may save it as a pdf .... (just in case)

rahulgill
Newly Registered

Post by rahulgill » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Thanks mate, appreciate your help in taking time to answer my queries.

ILR4PVM

Post by ILR4PVM » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:07 pm

Are we sure that just submitting and getting an acknowledgement email is all that is needed ?

If I go to OCI tracking services webpage and put the details in, it says "Your application has been acknowledged by competent authorities. It is under consideration." It has been this status for more than a month.

Does it mean that they are still considering it and that the status might change ? It is not clear in the OCI Misc notes if another confirmation will be issued that the new photo and passport details have been accepted into the system.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:51 pm

ILR4PVM wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:07 pm
Are we sure that just submitting and getting an acknowledgement email is all that is needed ? Yes, The link in answer to question 9 opens a pdf that clearly states the same.
https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/oci-card/

If I go to OCI tracking services webpage and put the details in, it says "Your application has been acknowledged by competent authorities. It is under consideration." It has been this status for more than a month.

Does it mean that they are still considering it and that the status might change ? It is not clear in the OCI Misc notes if another confirmation will be issued that the new photo and passport details have been accepted into the system.

ILR4PVM

Post by ILR4PVM » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:00 pm

The PDF link mentioned above in Q9 is vague and does not specify clearly what happens after submission. So I emailed HCI London with the OCI Misc application details enquiring if the process is complete and got the below reply today:

This refers to application bearing MHA file No. GBRL######## for uploading of documents in connection with your OCI Card No. A#######. Updated details including your new passport number ######### have been taken on record.
This is an auto-generated email and reply to this mail-id is not monitored.
Regards,
Team-OCI

I checked in the OCI status enquiry webpage and the status has now changed from the previous one in my post. It now says "Your details have been updated in OCI records."

So clearly, the intial acknowledgement email is NOT the end of the process. Applicants should wait for the above final email and online confirmation.

lunatfr

Post by lunatfr » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:57 am

I have updated online, but status is still showing:

"It is under consideration"

Am about to fly soon. Do you think it should be okay?

ashtrick
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by ashtrick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:50 am

I have submitted photo and signature of my kids as they got the British passport renewed.

The application was submitted on 8th November. Status is still "Your application has been acknowledged by competent authorities. It is under consideration." and I am worried as I have booked the tickets for next week.

What email address should I send for enquiry?