ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Applied - But Received an Email Saying Already British

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

crazy_p

MN1 Applied - But Received an Email Saying Already British

Post by crazy_p » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Hi All again!

I've got a small question about an MN1 application.

I got ILR status in Oct 2019 and my son was born in Aug 2020.

To apply for the British passport for my son, I wanted to have the naturalization certificate. (Hope I am correct?)

I applied (June 2021) via the MN1 application link online and submitted all supporting documents including referee details etc.

Today I received and email from UKVI and it says the below. What should I do now? Is this a mistake or don't i need a naturalization certificate for my son to apply for the British passport?

Appreciate any input for this.

Thank you again.

Thank you for this application for British citizenship.
Citizenship is a matter which can be determined, conclusively, only by the courts but, from the information provided, it appears that your son is already a British citizen.

Your son was born in the United Kingdom after 1 January 1983 to a parent who was settled in the United Kingdom at that time. Therefore, he appears to have become a British citizen at birth under section 1(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

Details on how to apply for a British passport can be found at [Link]
Please note that this letter cannot on its own be used as a supporting document for a passport application.

HCJNL

Re: MN1 Applied - But Received an Email Saying Already British

Post by HCJNL » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:58 pm

No mistake. The email you received was clear. You can go ahead and apply online for his first passport.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 pm

No mistake - you saved yourself £1000+!

Extract from this gov.uk website - https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citize ... 06-onwards:

"f your parents were not British, Irish, EU or EEA citizens when you were born
You’re automatically a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents was living in the UK and had any of the following:
indefinite leave to remain (ILR)"
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:07 pm

Keep the proof of your ILR (the ILR BRP) safe, as it may be required not only in any future passport renewal of your child, but also to apply for the British passports of your grandchildren, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.