ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving UK after applying for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Hbuk

Leaving UK after applying for citizenship

Post by Hbuk » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 pm

Can I leave the UK after applying for citizenship to take a job in another country? And come back for the ceremony and to apply for my passport? Is it mandatory to be in the UK throughout the process of naturalisation and British passport application?

HCJNL

Re: Leaving UK after applying for citizenship

Post by HCJNL » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 pm

Not mandatory. But be careful about not breaching the intent to settle requirement, which is probably applicable but depends on your route to citizenship.

Hbuk

Post by Hbuk » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:22 am

I’m on 5 route spouse visa. We bought a house here and it’s our permanent home but I got a good job offer now but I don’t want to interrupt my residence because I am very close to completing 60 months and to ILR and nationality. I’m trying to work out a date that I can disclose tentatively to the employer when I can relocated without affecting my status. It has been a painful process

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:25 am

Please review the "Future Intentions requirement" section - page 35 of the nationality policy guidance document:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Hbuk

Post by Hbuk » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 pm

Thank you so the answer is no, I can’t leave until I get my passport? because I must establish that I have no intention to live somewhere else. Even though my permanent home is in the UK and even if I move anywhere for the short/medium term I still intend for my home in the UK to be my permanent.

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Future Intentions requirement does not apply to Spouse of British Citizen naturalization route.

Hbuk

Post by Hbuk » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:20 pm

That’s good to know, so at what point of this process I can leave the UK to take on the job? Straight after I apply for British passport? Do I have to mention that I am taking a job somewhere else and that I need to come back to collect my document when issued? How would I enter the UK if I must send back my BRP when I apply for nationality?

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:39 pm

You're a British citizen only after your naturalization ceremony. Until that, you can keep your BRP

Hbuk

Post by Hbuk » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:45 pm

Okay, but after the ceremony I have to apply for my passport. Do I have to remain in the UK until I get it?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:54 pm

Hbuk wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:45 pm
Okay, but after the ceremony I have to apply for my passport. Do I have to remain in the UK until I get it?
Yes, as you have to send your original foreign passport to hmpo when you apply for a British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Hbuk

Post by Hbuk » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:25 pm

I did come across information that if one uses Nationality application checking service, they can keep the original documents. All applications now are made online anyway. So it looks like I can leave the UK for a short while the soonest I get my ILR and apply immediately for my citizenship and once that is approved, I have to be back to the UK by then and apply for my passport. Remain in the UK until I get it. Is this correct?