ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Application - How to complete residency checker

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

luxurylemon
Ireland

Naturalisation Application - How to complete residency checker

Post by luxurylemon » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:13 am

Hello,

We were planning on submitting my husbands naturalisation application next week.
He is from the US, I'm Irish. We are applying on the basis of being married to an Irish Citizen, so need 3 years legal residence out of the last 5.
We have been married since 2016 and living in Ireland since. His first stamp 4 in his passport says 01/10/2016 - 17/09/2019. His second stamp says 09/08/2019 - 09/08/2022.

Thing is, I only planned to apply from the 1st of August 2018 to say the 30th of September 2021. This should be enough as its 1157 days (1096 required). Reason I only want to apply from these dates is because in 2016 and 2017 I don't have any bank statements for my husband. We were living here, and I could order them but they charge €2.50 per page. I don't want to pay it when it really isnt required anyway as we should have enough time between 2018 and present. I also don't have any utility bills or anything else for the early years as we were living in my family home saving for a mortgage. Its just much easier for me from 2018 onwards as I have more proofs since we bought a house, and I have them to hand also.

So my question is how do I fill out the residency checker for his application if I only want to use the dates 1st of August 2018 to 30th September 2021. This covers two different stamps for him with the first stamp having a start date of 01/10/2016. Do I fill it out using the start date of the stamp, or the date I want to apply from (01/08/2018)?

On a side note... I got the bank draft today for the €175 application fee. PTSB had to shorten it to Secretary General, Dept of Justice as the full word department wouldnt fit on the line. I assume this is fine? She seemed to know what it was for and said they always have to shorten it.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Naturalisation Application - How to complete residency checker

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:44 am

Bank draft name - yeah that’s fine. I am with PTSB as well.

You should fill in all the dates shown in your passport in your residence checker. It doesn’t mean that you need to provide proof for all the periods. You can explicitly mention in a cover letter that you want to apply based on being the spouse of an Irish citizen and explicitly give them the date period.
(Btw it is likely that INIS will ask for bank statements for older dates anyway. If they ask you for these statements, you would have to pay to get them.)

luxurylemon
Ireland

Post by luxurylemon » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:59 am

Re: bank draft ok perfect thanks.

For the application ok I'll put in the residency checker 01/10/2016 as his start date. I have a cover letter anyway just mentioning about our health insurance as its addressed to me (employer pays) but hes noted as a member on the policy etc.

Do you think its fine to include in the cover letter then that we are applying based on the intended period and sending it anyway? If they want the earlier statements will they give us a chance then to get them at a later date? Both our letters from our employers do state we have been employed with them since 2016 (mine actually 2014).
I'm just worried in case they ask for all documents for 2016 and 2017. All I really would have is his bank statements which I can pay for if we really need them, letter from employer and payslips (payslips have no address on them) and also p60s and tax credit certificates. We don't really have a 3rd proof other than the above for those years as my parents paid their mortgage and all the bills while we lived there.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:34 am

Yes you can (and should) mention the period in your cover letter.

If they want older statements or other proof, they will send you a letter and ask you to submit them within 30 days. You can then call PTSB to ask them to issue the statements. If they ask you for proofs that you don’t have (eg old utility bills), just reply back and explain the reason to them.

Note that if you live in your family home, you should still be able to get a letter from the home owner to issue you a letter and confirm that you both live there. Your employers or colleges should also be able to issue similar letters confirming the employment/study history. Letter from GP is acceptable as well. There are quite a few different proofs that you can use if INIS asks you for it.

luxurylemon
Ireland

Post by luxurylemon » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 pm

Thanks for all your help. I've just updated his cover letter there. I'll send off the application and in the meantime I can start gathering stuff for 2016/2017 in case they come back and ask.