ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish EU Residency Card (New EU4FAM)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MichaelTN

Irish EU Residency Card (New EU4FAM)

Post by MichaelTN » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Hi,

I'm unable to get any clear information from emailing the visa offices here in Ireland (they all just direct you amongst themselves giving you no clear information).

I'm wondering if anyone knows if my Wife (holder of the Irish EU Residency Card updated from the old EU4FAM card) can travel to the UK or any European country with me (British citizen) without the need for extra visa documents on her behalf?

Sorry if any of the information isn't clear, thanks so much to anyone who may have some information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Irish EU Residency Card (New EU4FAM)

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:06 pm

No. That’s no longer possible due to Brexit. She is no longer a beneficiary under EU free movement. She and you are beneficiaries under the withdrawal agreement, which allows both of you to continue living in the host country, but that does not extend to other countries.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:13 pm

There is an FAQ document from INIS. Question 8 covers you. This is for people who are spouse of UK nationals living in other EU countries wishing to travel to Ireland. The same applies to people living in Ireland wanting to travel to other EU countries.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Impact-o ... -FAQ's.pdf

Q.8 I hold a card called “Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen” on the basis of my UK National family member, can I still travel to Ireland without a visa after the transition period?
A. No. You will require an entry visa unless you are exempt from needing an Irish visa on some other ground.

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:26 pm

Thank you very much Littlerr for the information - that's a big shame!

Tempted to say my thoughts on Brexit although probably best not to get myself worked up :lol:

Thanks again :)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:33 pm

MichaelTN wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:26 pm
Tempted to say my thoughts on Brexit although probably best not to get myself worked up :lol:

Thanks again :)
Brexit will remain in our thoughts for many years. I share your feelings.

Maybe your wife should consider Irish naturalisation or apply for the UK Eu Settlement family permit. You will need to return home by March next year though or else Surinder singh door will be shut.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors