ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice- Renewing Foreign Passport while waiting on Citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

spikky

Advice- Renewing Foreign Passport while waiting on Citizenship application

Post by spikky » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:48 pm

Hi,

My passport expired a few days before I applied for UK Citizenship in July this year. I am waiting on my application. However, the current processing timelines appear to be avg 6 months.

I want to travel during Xmas/New Year for 2-3 weeks and was wondering if I can renew my foreign passport while my UK Citizenship is pending?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Spikky

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Advice- Renewing Foreign Passport while waiting on Citizenship application

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:43 pm

No issue to renew and use new foreign passport whilst waiting for your decision.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

spikky

Post by spikky » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:25 pm

Thanks. I've now been granted citizenship but was already given an appointment in late November to renew my native foreign passport . I can use that appointment to surrender my native passport too.

I've requested dates for citizenship ceremony from my council. If I do get a date in early part of November I will attend the ceremony. However, it seems first adult British passports cannot be fast tracked which means I won't be able to travel during Xmas/New year : (

Is it sensible to apply for renewal of my native foreign passport just for travel and postpone citizenship ceremony to January 2022(still within 3 month period stipulated by Home Office as my approval came through on 25th October)?

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Has anyone fast tracked their first adult British passport after naturalisation without any medical emergency?

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:54 pm

You can still travel with your non British passport and carry your naturalizaion certificate with you in case you need to prove your British citizenship when back in the UK.