ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Application - British Passport given name - XXXX

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

yomishu
Mood:
India

OCI Application - British Passport given name - XXXX

Post by yomishu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:54 am

Hi All

I am bit confused now and thought I will post my situation here for some advice before I apply for my OCI application.

In my Indian passport and in all official documents, I have Given names and but no surname.
Indian passport
Given Names : Rxxxx xxxx
Sur names : blank

In my British passport, they put given names as XXX
Given Names : XXX
Sur names : Rxxxx Kxxxx

Now I need to apply for my OCI – I am confused if I could mention in the OCI form (based on my British passport)
Given name as – XXX
Sur names : Rxxxx Kxxx

Has anybody faced the same situation? is it the normal thing for people with names like this in British passport and then applying for OCI with given name XXX or will Indian embassy create problem because I have put given names as xxx which does not look ok.

Please advice what’s the best solution for me right now

1) Apply for OCI with my British passport details (Given name – XXX and sur name – Rxxxx Kxxx)
2) Change my name in British passport to Given name – Rxxxx and Sur name - Kxxx (Include Name change deed, Surrender certificate and British passport, Proof of the new name used) and then apply for OCI with the new name

Please advise since i need to apply for OCI for my kids (One kid was Indian citizen but now is British and my other child is born British) and don't want this name in my British passport to create issues for them when they apply for OCI

logical_riz
India

Re: OCI Application - British Passport given name - XXXX

Post by logical_riz » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:46 am

I have same issue with uk passport XXX SURNAME.

I was about to apply OCI but thought it’s better to correct name in UK passport.

I reapplied uk passport with deed poll on 8th September, still waiting for their decision (current application status is application received on 13th Sep).

I am in Scotland.

yomishu
Mood:
India

Post by yomishu » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:11 am

logical_riz wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:46 am
I have same issue with uk passport XXX SURNAME.

I was about to apply OCI but thought it’s better to correct name in UK passport.

I reapplied uk passport with deed poll on 8th September, still waiting for their decision (current application status is application received on 13th Sep).

I am in Scotland.
Hi

I have also reapplied for uk passport with deed poll and my Indian surrender certificate, cancelled Indian passport and new name proof document along with it. I applied for the passport on 28th September and i have send the documents as well (they have received it according to royal mail) but the current application status is send documents as of today (5th October), don't know why its taking that long for them to update the system

After reading your comment regarding your passport - its almost 15 working days and you haven't heard anything back . so I'm bit surprised since I thought this would be quick process for HMPO to re issue a new passport since they have already did all the checks .

Please do let me know when you get your new passport or any issues you have faced in this process

Thank you

logical_riz
India

Post by logical_riz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:39 am

Hi, I am going to get my new passport today with correct name in order. It took almost 6 weeks.

FYI- I didn’t send my surrender certificate and neither my cancelled indian passport.

My documents were

British passport
Deed poll
2 address/identity proof.

That’s it.

logical_riz
India

Post by logical_riz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:57 am

My timeline

Passport printed and sent 10:17am on 12 October 2021
Application approved 7:11am on 12 October 2021