ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

over 18 children's requirement for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ranuby
Newly Registered

over 18 children's requirement for citizenship

Post by ranuby » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi, we got ILR last year and were planning to file for citizenship. My kid was under 18 at the time of ILR and now she is over 18. How will this work, does this needs to be separate application or it will be same application? and also anything which needs to be done differently?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: over 18 children's requirement for citizenship

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:42 pm

How will this work, does this needs to be separate application

Yes. A person over the age of 18 has to apply and meet the requirements as an adult independently.
and also anything which needs to be done differently?
English B1 and LIUK test required. 5 years residence required, including the physically present at the start of the qualifying period and they will be subject to the normal citizenship absence limits.

Note that there is NO 'dependent' concept for citizenship application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Another way of looking at this is that the immigration journey ends at ILR.

Naturalisation is a separate process with different laws and different regulations.

If the person is past their 18th birthday when applying to become a British citizen, they need to meet all the standard naturalisation requirements (English test, LITUK test, absences over the past five and one years, physical presence in the UK five years ago, etc) on their own.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ranuby
Newly Registered

Post by ranuby » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:13 am

thanks for the clear responses. just one more question, In order to get citizenship, does a person has to do Language test and Life in UK test, if they are studying in UK? She has started university this year, not sure if this changes anything, but wanted to check.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:27 am

ranuby wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:13 am
thanks for the clear responses. just one more question, In order to get citizenship, does a person has to do Language test and Life in UK test, if they are studying in UK? She has started university this year, not sure if this changes anything, but wanted to check.
Yes, both test requirements are mandatory.

A UK degree can be used to meet the English requirment, but she would need to have completed the degree and have the certificate
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.