ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for UK citizenship for children only born outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amaindola
Newly Registered
India

Applying for UK citizenship for children only born outside UK

Post by amaindola » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi there,
We have ILR for all of us, but we want to apply for UK citizenship only for both children (age 17 and age 10), we don't want to apply for citizenship for ourselves as parents. is there any process, which we can apply for UK citizenship only for children without applying as an adult along with them? As life in UK test and English test is not mandatory for children, how we can process for their UK citizenship application?
could anyone help/guide us here, please?

Another point, if in any case, we cannot apply only for children's citizenship only, but children's ILR biometric card is expiring in April 2022, is there any process to extend the ILR bio-metric card? how much it costs?

Thanks - Anil

zimba
Mood:

Re: Applying for UK citizenship for children only born outside UK

Post by zimba » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:38 pm

Children born outside the UK have no automatic entitlement to British citizenship. An application to register for a non-UK born child will usually be successful when the child has at least one British parent. If neither of the child’s parents are British, one of you needs to apply for citizenship before or at the same time as your children.

ILR BRP card simply needs to be replaced: https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... xpired-brp
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:37 am

If you plan to apply for the children's registration without meeting the expected requirements, you will need to provide strong compelling compassionate reasons as to why the rules should be set aside for the children to be registered as British citizens.

Alternatively, as the eldest child is 17, just wait for their 18th birthday and then they can apply for naturalisation as an adult meeting all the requirements (English language test, LITUK test, absences over the past five and one year, physical presence, etc) in their own right.

Naturalisation has no requirements for parental status.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

amaindola
Newly Registered
India

Post by amaindola » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:15 pm

thank you so much both for your quick response, it's much appreciated. very helpful.