ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying UK partner resident in Ireland, currently non-EEA stamp 2 permissions

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CatBrom
Canada

Re: Marrying UK partner resident in Ireland, currently non-EEA stamp 2 permissions

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:49 am

Re: my previous landlord. We had a dispute with her with the RTB as she illegally evicted us and tried to take our deposit and such, so I doubt she’ll give us a signed affidavit. But we do have emails from her evicting us, with our names. I don’t think we still have the formal letter addressed to us both though.

CatBrom
Canada

Re: Marrying UK partner resident in Ireland, currently non-EEA stamp 2 permissions

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:51 am

This was what I was wondering, but INIS told me this twice over email. I highlighted I am on a Stamp 2 as well. Perhaps they mean that we had to be living as if we were married, in that we have been in a continuous romantic relationship and dependent upon each other.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:05 pm

Littler's views are sound and appears correct. It matters not that she was on a different permission that was not supported by the British citizen.

So long as the relationship was durable before December 31 2020.

I will advise, like Littler that an application is lodged as soon as possible.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:10 pm

We will have to wait until my partner gets work, as I said he just finished his PhD and is looking for a job, and is also renewing his passport so he doesn't have his ID right now anyway. Also, he needs health insurance as he never needed it before Brexit. Will it be enough of an explanation as to why we did not complete the form until now was due to looking for work? I'm very confused and worried.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:12 pm

Another problem: because of the low income my partner and I both have received over the PhD, he never completed his income tax here in Ireland. Is this a serious issue? Can he do it now for previous years?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 pm

handoubleu wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:43 am
I am not sure how they get in under EUTR1A if they were residing in the State on separate permissions prior to 31 December 2020 i.e. OP was in the State on a Stamp 2 and not dependent on their partner (de facto/spouse) prior to 31 December 2020 so therefore was not a "family member" prior to 31 December 2020?
The OP has been a family member since the de-facto relationship started.

You are confusing the definition of family members with stamps. A qualifying (EUTR1) or permitted (EUTR1A) family member is with regards to the actual relationship between the applicant and the sponsor. Whether they are on Stamp 2 or not, or even if they don't have any legal permissions, does not matter.
CatBrom wrote:
Are you sure that the 40k doesn’t apply? It sounds like it applies for EEA sponsors, surely that applies to UK citizens living here under treaty rights. Does he just need to have a job? If say we got married in a month in Denmark (just as a hypothetical) would we still need to complete the EUTR1A or is it another process? I’m worried now that we’ll get rejected for waiting while we find work.
40k is for family members of Irish citizens only (and presumably for UK citizens who are not exercising EU Treaty rights - not sure about that though). EU Treaty Rights do not have this requirement.

Yes he needs to prove that he has been exercising EU Treaty Rights before 31 Dec 2020, and has been continuing doing so, by proving that he has either a job or in full time study. There is no minimum salary requirement under EU Treaty rights.

Regardless of whether you get married or not, you only qualify as a de-facto partner (as the relationship will need to exist before 31 Dec 2020), so it is the EUTR1A application that you need to apply. I think the reply you got from INIS should have said the same.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:38 pm

CatBrom wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:10 pm
We will have to wait until my partner gets work, as I said he just finished his PhD and is looking for a job, and is also renewing his passport so he doesn't have his ID right now anyway. Also, he needs health insurance as he never needed it before Brexit. Will it be enough of an explanation as to why we did not complete the form until now was due to looking for work? I'm very confused and worried.
A bit of explanation is always helpful. I would probably just say that you were not aware that durable partnership (i.e. de-facto relationship) counts. It shouldn't really matter either way. Providing A LOT OF cohabitation evidence and communication history is much more important.
CatBrom wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:12 pm
Another problem: because of the low income my partner and I both have received over the PhD, he never completed his income tax here in Ireland. Is this a serious issue? Can he do it now for previous years?
Studying PhD counts as a valid way of exercising EU Treaty Rights, so he does not need any employment details for this period.

When you say 'complete' income tax, what exactly do you mean? Does he have a PPS Number? Was his employment details recorded in the Revenue system? Was he registered as being self-employed? Or was he simply paid by cash and was never 'officially' in the Revenue system?

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:47 pm

Thank you so much, it would be easy enough to write a letter. Do all documents need to be certified? Do sworn affidavits need to be done by a lawyer/notary? I'm unsure how a lot of this works.

He was getting paid with slips, he just never did his income tax because he was earning so little. He has a PPS number, as he worked between his masters and PhD and it was necessary, plus he had to be signed up with Revenue to receive his scholarships and teaching assistant pay when he started his PhD.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:17 pm

Regarding tax - he shouldn't need to do anything if he is on PAYE. There is no need to 'do income tax' in Ireland for normal PAYE employees, unless he needs to report additional payment or tax credit.

Regarding certification/notarisation - there's a checklist of documents required on the application form. As far as I remember, there shouldn't be anything that needs to be certified, unless it is not in English.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form-EUT ... EUTR1A.pdf

However, in researching the form itself, I just noticed one thing that we overlooked. There is a difference between EUTR1A (permitted family member) and EUTR1 (qualifying family member). EUTR1 allows the EU spouse to be in full-time study, while EUTR1A does not. (This means he is still exercising EU Treaty Rights but he cannot sponsor you when he doesn't have a job.)

Fortunately (I think), as he was receiving grants during his PhD study, it should suffice as employment. He also needs to find a job now before he can sponsor you as part of the EUTR1A requirement.
Last edited by littlerr on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:21 pm

When I contacted INIS, they told me this:

"Can you please confirm if the UK National was
exercising their EU Treaty Rights in Ireland before
Brexit.

This can be through employment, self-employment, involuntary
unemployment, residing with sufficient resources and study."

I assumed that just includes all study? They did not clarify if he needed to be on a scholarship.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:26 pm

Yes I just edited my previous comment.
He was exercising EU Treaty. He just couldn't sponsor you when he was studying. He needs to be in employment in order to do that.
Once he finds a job, he will still be able to sponsor you, as he is continuing to exercising his treaty rights.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Okay, great. He's in the active process of looking for work, and we'll have to wait anyway until he can get his passport (which may take awhile, we're not sure about the processing times for British passport renewals), and I need to get an old passport from my parent's home in Canada etc. So I think we should be okay to start the application in January? We should both have work by then hopefully and I want to register our intent to marry ASAP although I am unsure what that process is like at the moment.

handoubleu
United States of America

Post by handoubleu » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:34 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 pm
handoubleu wrote:
I am not sure how they get in under EUTR1A if they were residing in the State on separate permissions prior to 31 December 2020 i.e. OP was in the State on a Stamp 2 and not dependent on their partner (de facto/spouse) prior to 31 December 2020 so therefore was not a "family member" prior to 31 December 2020?
The OP has been a family member since the de-facto relationship started.

You are confusing the definition of family members with stamps. A qualifying (EUTR1) or permitted (EUTR1A) family member is with regards to the actual relationship between the applicant and the sponsor. Whether they are on Stamp 2 or not, or even if they don't have any legal permissions, does not matter.
CatBrom wrote:
Are you sure that the 40k doesn’t apply? It sounds like it applies for EEA sponsors, surely that applies to UK citizens living here under treaty rights. Does he just need to have a job? If say we got married in a month in Denmark (just as a hypothetical) would we still need to complete the EUTR1A or is it another process? I’m worried now that we’ll get rejected for waiting while we find work.
40k is for family members of Irish citizens only (and presumably for UK citizens who are not exercising EU Treaty rights - not sure about that though). EU Treaty Rights do not have this requirement.

Yes he needs to prove that he has been exercising EU Treaty Rights before 31 Dec 2020, and has been continuing doing so, by proving that he has either a job or in full time study. There is no minimum salary requirement under EU Treaty rights.

Regardless of whether you get married or not, you only qualify as a de-facto partner (as the relationship will need to exist before 31 Dec 2020), so it is the EUTR1A application that you need to apply. I think the reply you got from INIS should have said the same.
This is great news for OP if they do not need to have a de facto stamp prior to applying for the EUTR1A. I have questions then for other reference then:

1. If the UK person has been exercising their EU Treaty Rights prior to the start of a de facto relationship, can a partner still get in under EUTR1A? i.e. the UK person exercised their EU Treaty Rights prior to 31 December 2020, but the de facto relationship begins after this time.
2. If not, if a UK person has exercised their EU Treaty Rights prior to 31 December 2020 and the relationship began before this date, but it did not meet the requirements under a de facto definition at the time of 31 December 2020 (e.g. two years hadn't been reached etc.) can the partner still come in under the EUTR1A once the relationship finally does meet the de facto criteria?

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm

I asked this same question and no, you need to have been in a de facto relationship prior to Brexit. This isn't a problem for me, as we had been cohabiting for years prior to Brexit. I think post-Brexit falls under the new visa scheme, where the family cannot be residing in Ireland for the application.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:41 pm

You can start your application any time but I do recommend that it starts as early as possible.
Regarding intention to marry, it might be easier and quicker to get married in other EU countries where there is a shorter notice period (e.g. the notice can be as short as 1 week in Denmark).

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:42 pm

Well, the application can't be started until he finds work and gets his passport back anyway. I mentioned Denmark as an option, but we wouldn't be able to go until he had his passport for that too.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:48 pm

handoubleu wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:34 pm
1. If the UK person has been exercising their EU Treaty Rights prior to the start of a de facto relationship, can a partner still get in under EUTR1A? i.e. the UK person exercised their EU Treaty Rights prior to 31 December 2020, but the de facto relationship begins after this time.
2. If not, if a UK person has exercised their EU Treaty Rights prior to 31 December 2020 and the relationship began before this date, but it did not meet the requirements under a de facto definition at the time of 31 December 2020 (e.g. two years hadn't been reached etc.) can the partner still come in under the EUTR1A once the relationship finally does meet the de facto criteria?
1. No.
2. Under EU Treaty there is no definition of what a durable relationship is. The 2-year cohabitation is for de-facto applications under domestic laws, and does not apply to EU Treaty applicants. It basically means that if the relationship is presumed (and can be proved) to be long-lasting, they should be eligible, although it's wide open to interpretation by INIS.

handoubleu
United States of America

Post by handoubleu » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:48 pm
handoubleu wrote:
2. Under EU Treaty there is no definition of what a durable relationship is. The 2-year cohabitation is for de-facto applications under domestic laws, and does not apply to EU Treaty applicants. It basically means that if the relationship is presumed (and can be proved) to be long-lasting, they should be eligible, although it's wide open to interpretation by INIS.
This is interesting. Do you have any reference/know anyone who applied without the 2 year cohabitation? I have cohabited with my partner for 1 year but he has been in the State since before 31 December 2020 as a UK national. We always planned to have me stay on Stamp 1/1G, and then apply after/on two year mark, if necessary (dependent on citizenship application).

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:31 pm

handoubleu wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm
littlerr wrote:
handoubleu wrote:
This is interesting. Do you have any reference/know anyone who applied without the 2 year cohabitation? I have cohabited with my partner for 1 year but he has been in the State since before 31 December 2020 as a UK national. We always planned to have me stay on Stamp 1/1G, and then apply after/on two year mark, if necessary (dependent on citizenship application).
This is what INIS said to me about this:

"Thank you for your email. If you are the de facto partner of an UK citizen
who has been residing in the State before the end of the transition period
due to Brexit, it is open to you to submit make an application for a
Residence Card on Form EUTR1A. For more information, please refer to our
website, where you can download Form EUTR1A and the Form EUTR1A Explanatory
Leaflet."

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:47 pm

handoubleu wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm
littlerr wrote:
handoubleu wrote:
See the sticky post on this forum by Obie re EEA Regulation 5(2). I don’t personally know anyone though.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:36 pm

So INIS said that there isn’t even an income minimum requirement, just that my partner needs to have a job. But I keep asking if I can apply in 2022 and they just keep not answering my question. Finding work is difficult and I fear that I may be getting incorrect info about the minimum income from the woman I am corresponding with on that, plus the delays with British passport renewal and I have a trip booked to see my Canadian family from mid December to mid January. I’m very anxious now because I’m worried I’ll have to get this application in ASAP but I will be applying for my Stamp 1G this week and I may be getting a job soon as I am mid-interview process as well. It’s all very confusing and worrying.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:53 pm

What was your partner doing in the state before he commenced studying? was he in employment in the state?

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:55 pm

He came here in 2014 to do his masters degree, worked for a bit, then did a PhD/worked and is currently working part time as a TA.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:57 pm

Well the part time job will suffice for your application, why wait till 2022?

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:07 pm

Well, it’s casual work. His university (he is a teaching assistant) does not provide employment contracts even though students have been asking for them. I don’t know if that counts. Also, I guess I’m worried that the woman I’m speaking to is wrong about the income requirements since litlerr was posting about that. I just need to know if I can apply in 2022, just in case something happens.