ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport incorrect

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Darveshdaswani
Newly Registered

British passport incorrect

Post by Darveshdaswani » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:46 pm

Hi all, I received my British passport and under citizenship it has me listed as British National (overseas) whilst on my citizenship certificate it says British citizen.

I called in to the passport advice helpline and they said it’s because I was born in Hong Kong and that doesn’t change my rights as a British Citizen, but I just wanted to check if this has happened to anyone else? Seems a bit strange as I’ve never seen this on another passport.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British passport incorrect

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Did you naturalise as British or how did you get a citizen certificate?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Darveshdaswani
Newly Registered

Post by Darveshdaswani » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:56 am

I qualified as a British citizen under section 6(1) so it was a bit of a surprise to see anything other than ‘British Citizen’ under my nationality.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:15 am

Before you naturalised as a British citizen, did you hold BNO status? Merely being born in HongKong does not give BNO status.

I think you should make a complaint via the online form.

Also see the HMPO's guidance on correcting errors on passports, especially from Page 7.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Darveshdaswani
Newly Registered

Post by Darveshdaswani » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:55 am

Thanks Simon, finally got through to the passport office after 3 days and they’ve said it’s their fault. Will now need to reapply for a passport. Bizarre!