ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel abroad with BRP and Citizenship Certificate

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Red1985
Newly Registered

Travel abroad with BRP and Citizenship Certificate

Post by Red1985 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:00 pm

Hi guys,

I have attended my British citizenship ceremony and I have now been issued with citizenship certificate.

I am planning to travel outside of the UK at the end of this month using my non-eu passport and brp card(indefinite leave to remain)

Is this allowed?

I guess I can apply for British passport straight away, I am just worried that I might not get it back in time for my travel?

Any advice please?

Thanks

Brownskingirl
Newly Registered
Malawi

Re: Travel abroad with BRP and Citizenship Certificate

Post by Brownskingirl » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:34 pm

I have the same question and I wondered if you managed to travel and return using your certificate of citizenship and your non EU passport. I've read that's its not possible, ie boarding flight etc. Could you shed some light?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:00 pm

Brownskingirl wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:34 pm
I have the same question and I wondered if you managed to travel and return using your certificate of citizenship and your non EU passport. I've read that's its not possible, ie boarding flight etc. Could you shed some light?
A citizenship certificate is only valid within the UK.

Airline staff will not recognise it as a travel document, which it is not.

If you are a non-visa national, they will allow you to board the flight. Then, once you land in the UK, you can present the certificate of naturalisation to the Border Force officials who would let you into the country (though there may be a delay while they check the details).

If you are a visa national and do not have proof that you can enter the UK in the form of either a BRP or a visa stamped into your non-EEA passport, you won't be allowed to board the flight. The rest is immaterial as you will not get a chance to speak to a Border Force official face-to-face.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Brownskingirl
Newly Registered
Malawi

Post by Brownskingirl » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:21 pm

Dear secret.simon,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and clarifying whether travel in the absence of a British passport is possible after citizenship. I really appreciate it.

Enjoy your evening.