ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Spouse based application

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mlsha
Newly Registered

OCI Spouse based application

Post by mlsha » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:23 am

Hello everyone,

I am applying for a fresh OCI on the basis of spouse being an OCI holder. I was reading at hcilondon website for the documents required but there are few things that confuses me. Please can someone help me.

My questions are:

1. MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
- I have my original UK marriage certificate, Do I need to get it apostilled? If so, from whom does it need to be apostilled? Taking it to FCDO for apostille takes so long? Can a registered solicitor attest to it instead?

2. BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- I have a certified copy of my birth certificate from local government authority. Do I also need to get it apostilled? by FCDO or a registered solicitor attest to it instead?

3. UK VISA
- Do I need to upload my UK visa (biometric) card as well? Or is it only my passport needed?

4. PASSPORT
- Do I need to submit my original passport or only photocopy? Does it need to be apostilled or attested.

5. PHOTOCOPIES
- Do I need to self-attest all the photocopies I’m submitting?

6. MINOR CHILD
- Can I apply my minor child for OCI together with my application? Or do I need to make a separate OCI application for her (I didn’t see any option on my online form where I can add her to my application). What additional documents do I need to submit for her? (So far I have her UK birth certificate, my spouse OCI card, and our marriage certificate)

7. SPOUSE OCI CARD
- it says on hcilondon website “Spouse OCI card and copies of the documents upon which the OCI card was issued to the spouse” . What do they mean by “….copies of the documents upon which the OCI card was issued to the spouse”?
So do I need to submit something else apart from my spouse OCI card?

Thank you for your time and hope to hear a reply from someone soon.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: OCI Spouse based application

Post by dontringthebell » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:26 pm

Could you share the link where you read about apostilled certificates & FCDO.

HCI LONDON website gives the following as the latest link for the required documents and it doesn't mention any such thing.

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/docs/16310 ... 092021.pdf

Hence based on the above following are my responses.
mlsha wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:23 am
Hello everyone,

I am applying for a fresh OCI on the basis of spouse being an OCI holder. I was reading at hcilondon website for the documents required but there are few things that confuses me. Please can someone help me.

My questions are:

1. MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
- I have my original UK marriage certificate, Do I need to get it apostilled? NoIf so, from whom does it need to be apostilled? Taking it to FCDO for apostille takes so long? Can a registered solicitor attest to it instead?

2. BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- I have a certified copy of my birth certificate from local government authority.No Do I also need to get it apostilled? by FCDO or a registered solicitor attest to it instead?

3. UK VISA
- Do I need to upload my UK visa (biometric) card as well?Yes Or is it only my passport needed?

4. PASSPORT
- Do I need to submit my original passport or only photocopy?upload documents online and carry the same on the day of appointment for verification. Your spouse has to be present on the day of the application to verify as well. Also you must carry Consent letter (duly signed & dated) from spouse to issue OCI on the basis of his/her own Indian origin duly signed/dated. Also, Applicant applying under this category have to visit VFS centre along with his/her spouse for submitting the OCI application along with original documents and their copies. Interview in such cases will be taken over audio/video call by officer from High Commission after receipt of application. Does it need to be apostilled or attested.

5. PHOTOCOPIES
- Do I need to self-attest all the photocopies I’m submitting?
Not required, though you can always attest on the day if asked.

6. MINOR CHILD
- Can I apply my minor child for OCI together with my application? Yes, though your child's application at the moment would have to be filled by your spouse who holds OCI, if you want to apply, you need to wait till you get OCI status. Or do I need to make a separate OCI application for her (I didn’t see any option on my online form where I can add her to my application). What additional documents do I need to submit for her?Please check the link I shared above (So far I have her UK birth certificate, my spouse OCI card, and our marriage certificate)

7. SPOUSE OCI CARD
- it says on hcilondon website “Spouse OCI card and copies of the documents upon which the OCI card was issued to the spouse” . What do they mean by “….copies of the documents upon which the OCI card was issued to the spouse”? documents that were submitted by your spouse to obtain OCI
So do I need to submit something else apart from my spouse OCI card?
Yes, not apart from, more like along with the OCI card.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear a reply from someone soon.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

mlsha
Newly Registered

Post by mlsha » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:55 am

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I have follow-up question below, hope you can advise me please:

dontringthebell wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:26 pm
Could you share the link where you read about apostilled certificates & FCDO.

HCI LONDON website gives the following as the latest link for the required documents and it doesn't mention any such thing.

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/docs/16310 ... 092021.pdf
Sqr
I read it from the same link you just shared. It says “ Foreign issued Post-dated MARRIAGE Certificate (old certificates re-issued later) should be duly apostilled by concerned Foreign Office/Embassy.

6. MINOR CHILD
- Can I apply my minor child for OCI together with my application? Yes, though your child's application at the moment would have to be filled by your spouse who holds OCI, if you want to apply, you need to wait till you get OCI status. Or do I need to make a separate OCI application for her (I didn’t see any option on my online form where I can add her to my application). What additional documents do I need to submit for her?Please check the link I shared above (So far I have her UK birth certificate, my spouse OCI card, and our marriage certificate)

oh no, we just made a separate application for my child at the same day I did mine. Could you please explain why do we have to wait til I get my OCI before I apply her? Is it because once I book an appointment to VFS, I will need to submit my original documents to them and so I won’t have my documents with me if I book a VFS appointment for my child?
Is it possible to book one VFS appointment for both myself and my child since she’s only a minor? Please help, im so confused. :shock:
[/quote]

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:31 am

Yes you are correct and you must have those apostilled if they are post dated, I.e. if you obtained a marriage or birth certificate or marriage certificate later than the actual date of marriage and birth ( one month from birth is considered same day).

In order to apply for OCI for a minor, patent holding OCI needs to make the application. You can make application same day, but the person signing or representing the minor on the application should be OCI holder.

There is no reason you can't make multiple applications same day, you always can with the same appointment. The person representing the minor on application should have OCI status.

In cases of foreign born children & spouses who never held an Indian passport or citizenship the application should have a consent letter from the OCI holder in order to certify & request an OCI status for them. As they are entitled to OCi due to this connection.

I hope it helps clear the confusion from my previous wording.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

mlsha
Newly Registered

Post by mlsha » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:11 am

dontringthebell wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:31 am
Yes you are correct and you must have those apostilled if they are post dated, I.e. if you obtained a marriage or birth certificate or marriage certificate later than the actual date of marriage and birth ( one month from birth is considered same day).

In order to apply for OCI for a minor, patent holding OCI needs to make the application. You can make application same day, but the person signing or representing the minor on the application should be OCI holder.

There is no reason you can't make multiple applications same day, you always can with the same appointment. The person representing the minor on application should have OCI status.

In cases of foreign born children & spouses who never held an Indian passport or citizenship the application should have a consent letter from the OCI holder in order to certify & request an OCI status for them. As they are entitled to OCi due to this connection.

I hope it helps clear the confusion from my previous wording.
Thank you so much for your reply. I just booked a VFS appointment and on one of the field it was asking if there’s any other family member applying with me? So I entered my child’s details there.
I guess we can all go in one appointment (myself, husband, and my child)??? Because as you said spouse needs to come along with me at the VFS, am I right? Then at the same time, he can be there to represent my child’s application since my husband is the OCI holder? Am I right?

One more thing to ask you, I didn’t upload my husband consent letter for my minor child. If you look at the HCI London link you shared awhile ago about the documents required, it says there the consent letter is only needed if both parents share joint custody? Am I right?
If both the parents share joint custody of the child, a duly notarized consent letter from both the parents to apply for OCI for child

My husband and I are living together. We’re not separated or anything like that. So am i right for not providing consent letter for minor child? Please advise.

Regards xxx

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:02 am

mlsha wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:11 am
Thank you so much for your reply. I just booked a VFS appointment and on one of the field it was asking if there’s any other family member applying with me? So I entered my child’s details there. Sure
I guess we can all go in one appointment (myself, husband, and my child)??? yesBecause as you said spouse needs to come along with me at the VFS, am I right? yesThen at the same time, he can be there to represent my child’s application since my husband is the OCI holder? yes Am I right? yes, and your husband should sign the application, and provide his details like email address etc on the form. Your details would be there as well, but he should sign the form. Also note if you have already uploaded you can start a new application as many number of times as you need to get it correct. Only use the correct and completed application number on the day of appointment

One more thing to ask you, I didn’t upload my husband consent letter for my minor child. If you look at the HCI London link you shared awhile ago about the documents required, it says there the consent letter is only needed if both parents share joint custody? yes Am I right? yes, however, there is no harm uploading one, also, kindly note you can club documents to upload as long as its below the upload limit per field.
If both the parents share joint custody of the child, a duly notarized consent letter from both the parents to apply for OCI for child

My husband and I are living together. We’re not separated or anything like that. So am i right for not providing consent letter for minor child? yes you are but it's better to cover all bases. Please advise.

Regards xxx You are welcome