ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Application (Tier 1 Accelerated ILR)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tier1entrepreneur-AA
Mood:

British Citizenship Application (Tier 1 Accelerated ILR)

Post by tier1entrepreneur-AA » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:52 pm

Hi Team,

I have obtained my ILR after three years of residency between 2018 and 2020 under Tier 1 Accelerated ILR route.

I was planning to apply for British citizenship once I reach the 5 year residency from the day I first entered the UK under tier 1 entrepreneur category (early Jan 2018), so I was planning to apply for British citizenship in Jan 2023 (Jan 2018 to Jan 2023)

However, I just realised that I have been in the UK already before Jan 2018 under different visa category (offshore worker visa), with no gap in between both visas.

In summary:
2017 - Offshore worker visa
Total absence days in 2017 = 170 days

2018 to 2020 - Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa
Total absence days = 105 days, ILR obtained ( Accelerated route) in end of 2020.

2021 - ILR holder
Total absence days = 75 days.

Based on the above, total absence = 350 days during the last 5 years, and less than 90 days on the 12 months after the ILR pre the citizenship application

Am I right that I will be eligible to apply for Naturalisation in Jan 2022? counting my 1 year residency as offshore worker visa holder(2017) before tier 1 entrepreneur visa residency?

Thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship Application (Tier 1 Accelerated ILR)

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 pm

As you have completed one year under ILR you will be able to apply for naturalisation in Jan 2022 - the route to ILR is not relevant for this application, and as per your details you can prove 5 years lawful residence (i.e. your passport(s) with stamps in/out).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

tier1entrepreneur-AA
Mood:

Post by tier1entrepreneur-AA » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:51 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 pm
As you have completed one year under ILR you will be able to apply for naturalisation in Jan 2022 - the route to ILR is not relevant for this application, and as per your details you can prove 5 years lawful residence (i.e. your passport(s) with stamps in/out).
Thanks alterhase58 for your valuable and explained reply, it's much appreciated.

That's great news.

Yes I have prepared a table including all dates of departure and arrival, which matches with the arrival dates stamped on my passport(s).

tier1entrepreneur-AA
Mood:

British Citizenship Application (Offshore worker visa then Tier 1)

Post by tier1entrepreneur-AA » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi Team,

My apologise if it seems to be that I repeating my question, however, I just need to confirm.

I can confirm that all my residency in the UK was lawful.

My main point is, does offshore worker residency (2017) which is remain to enter visa, counting towards the 5 years residency requirement?

Offshore worker visa full details:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ction4.pdf
Which says:
2. Leave to enter
Subject to normal visa requirements, off-shore workers are allowed to live in
the United Kingdom during their shore leave outside the immigration rules.
Their dependants are also exceptionally allowed to base themselves in the
United Kingdom

Thanks in advance.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:18 pm

It is a very niche question and I will try and advise you based on my knowledge, but you may well have to consult a solicitor who is well-versed in this niche area of the law (i.e. not just any solicitor).

Naturalisation is not a part of immigration law, which ends at ILR. And immigration law and nationality law, which governs naturalisation, differ in some important details, such as, for instance, the definition of the United Kingdom. UK Immigration law only applies to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, whereas nationality law includes the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man in its application. I only point this out as an example that you should not stretch the definitions of immigration law into nationality law.

Apart from having absence requirements, a naturalisation application requires that you be physically present in the UK at the start of the five year period immediately preceding the date of application. That is a non-discretionary/mandatory requirement that the Home Office can't dispense with/set aside and must be met. I am not convinced that offshore service would count as being "physically present" in the UK.

A quick google search linked to an article that suggested that working on the UK Continental Shelf (200 miles) outside UK territorial waters (12 miles) does not require UK immigration control. I am inclined to think that that means that it is not counted as being a part of the UK.

I would therefore be inclined to suggest that you wait until you complete five years of residence in the UK, ideally on terra very firma. But again, I would remind you that I am not a lawyer and you may want to consult a solicitor who would know about the nationality law implications of working off-shore.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tier1entrepreneur-AA
Mood:

Post by tier1entrepreneur-AA » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:55 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:18 pm
It is a very niche question and I will try and advise you based on my knowledge, but you may well have to consult a solicitor who is well-versed in this niche area of the law (i.e. not just any solicitor).

Naturalisation is not a part of immigration law, which ends at ILR. And immigration law and nationality law, which governs naturalisation, differ in some important details, such as, for instance, the definition of the United Kingdom. UK Immigration law only applies to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, whereas nationality law includes the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man in its application. I only point this out as an example that you should not stretch the definitions of immigration law into nationality law.

Apart from having absence requirements, a naturalisation application requires that you be physically present in the UK at the start of the five year period immediately preceding the date of application. That is a non-discretionary/mandatory requirement that the Home Office can't dispense with/set aside and must be met. I am not convinced that offshore service would count as being "physically present" in the UK.

A quick google search linked to an article that suggested that working on the UK Continental Shelf (200 miles) outside UK territorial waters (12 miles) does not require UK immigration control. I am inclined to think that that means that it is not counted as being a part of the UK.

I would therefore be inclined to suggest that you wait until you complete five years of residence in the UK, ideally on terra very firma. But again, I would remind you that I am not a lawyer and you may want to consult a solicitor who would know about the nationality law implications of working off-shore.
Thanks secret.simon for your reply and valuable advice, it's much appreciated,

I totally agree with you, I should consult a solicitor who is well-versed in this niche area of the law, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be many,

I have consulted one solicitor, and she confirmed that it should be fine, and she said "Yes it will count. As long as there was no break invalid leave and you submitted applications before the expiry of any application. The problem would come if your absences are more than the permitted amount."

I have no gaps between visas, and I have been in the UK (not offshore) present on the day 5 years from my planned application submission date (i.e submission date 20th Jan 2022, I have been present in the UK (not offshore) on 20th Jan 2017)

I will contact another solicitor, and see what's his though,

I may apply on the 20th Jan 2022, and prepare myself that my application may be refused (i.e not counting 2017), and keep my absence days maintained during 2022, to be ready to re-apply in Jan 2023 in case 2022 application been refused.

Thanks for your time, and if you find any answer to my query, please share it with me.

Thanks in advance.