ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student visa extension due to dissertation reassessment

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anchshubh
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

student visa extension due to dissertation reassessment

Post by anchshubh » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi am in worst situation .I m here in UK on student visa with my dependent husband.My visa is expiring on 5 November 2021.I got my dissertation result in which i got 40 but needed 50 to get pass.I don't understand one thing my other classmates have failed like 3 times by giving 2 times reassessments within the year.I have cleared all my modules at first attempt.But at last on 6 October i got my dissertation result which is a core module.University is saying this module is reassessment without attendance so they wont give new CAS ...I have to go back to country to give reassessment.But my whole dissertation is based on UK data and is primary research how i can do it in my country and its not fair on university behalf to not provide any sort of compensation or grace pass at the academic summary outcome.I have to wait for 18 October as they are saying students have to wait till board final decision of overall percentage.But i am having so many doubts if they did not give me overall pass due to one failed module then i wont be having any time after that.I came here in UK only for PSW (graduate route scheme)to get 2 years exposure..I have invested 25000 pounds already and don't even got part time job during studying time as period was of corona.I have lost every penny here and if i cant even collect my lost money by working here with PSW opportunity then its clear that university do not want to help at all.Please suggest something as i have read 2012 forums , at that same situation was faced by students.I am in worst dilemma right now , i am ready to pay for extension at any cost
but seems like university needs some treatment from international students.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: student visa extension due to dissertation reassessment

Post by sah10406 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:53 pm

It is the university's decision whether to sponsor you for an extension of your visa. They appear to be clear that you can resubmit your thesis from home without needing to attend. There will be a channel for you to make the case that you do need to be in the UK, but you may well have already tried that.

You may want to be in the UK for other reasons, including applying under the Graduate route, but that is not really your university's concern or responsibility. Sorry to put it this way, but it was your responsibility to make yourself eligible for the Graduate route by successfully completing your course. Having failed, the best you can reasonably expect is a chance to resubmit it, which they have allowed.

Completing your course from home will not allow you to apply under the Graduate route, but you have no deadline for applying under the Skilled worker route, with all the same advantages of applying in the UK, eg only needing to meet the "new entrant" salary rate.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

anchshubh
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by anchshubh » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:34 pm

Ya I know what you said but why this thing is only happening with international students and many of our classmate have applied for an appeal and university is saying to make some arrangements. The dilemma is they are saying to wait for 18 oct.....maybe international student union changes their decision. Also other universities are providing extension and my university did not gave 4 month extra visa after course completion which is common with other universities in Uk.... hope to get grace overall then everything will be sorted...

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:03 am

anchshubh wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:34 pm
why this thing is only happening with international students and many of our classmate have applied for an appeal and university is saying to make some arrangements.
Because it is a visa issue, and only international students need a visa.
anchshubh wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:34 pm
My university did not gave 4 month extra visa after course completion which is common with other universities in Uk....
That's nothing to do with the university. They state the end date of your course on the CAS, and the Home Office adds the 4 months when issuing your visa.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

anchshubh
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by anchshubh » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:34 am

Oh it means the course ended in September but home office gave me visa for 2 months extra only... it means home office is not playing fair here as my other classmates got visa till January .
Thanks for ur advice and knowledge I pray that it will resolve as I have no option .

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:01 pm

anchshubh wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:34 am
Oh it means the course ended in September but home office gave me visa for 2 months extra only... it means home office is not playing fair here as my other classmates got visa till January .
It's not about not "playing fair", it's just about what extra time you are entitled to according to the immgration rules. Whether someone gets +2 months or +4 months is explained in Appendix Student, paragraph ST 25.3:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ix-student

If you get the wrong length of permission, you can request a correction when youreceive your BRP, but there is a deadline for doing that. If you didn't request a correction at the time, the only way you could do it now is by making a new application. The international student adviser at your university can advise about that.

Omar5
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Omar5 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:35 pm

Hi anchshubh,

Hope you have solved your situation as I understand it gets stressful.

I have read in your thread that the home office only gave you two months additional to the end of your course, when you applied for leave as as student did you receive an application outcome stating the end date of your visa? It might be helpful to relook at your previous emails/letters stating the end date of your visa, as sometimes the home-office misprints the details on the BRP.

Pran44
Newly Registered

Post by Pran44 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 pm

anchshubh wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:58 pm
Hi am in worst situation .I m here in UK on student visa with my dependent husband.My visa is expiring on 5 November 2021.I got my dissertation result in which i got 40 but needed 50 to get pass.I don't understand one thing my other classmates have failed like 3 times by giving 2 times reassessments within the year.I have cleared all my modules at first attempt.But at last on 6 October i got my dissertation result which is a core module.University is saying this module is reassessment without attendance so they wont give new CAS ...I have to go back to country to give reassessment.But my whole dissertation is based on UK data and is primary research how i can do it in my country and its not fair on university behalf to not provide any sort of compensation or grace pass at the academic summary outcome.I have to wait for 18 October as they are saying students have to wait till board final decision of overall percentage.But i am having so many doubts if they did not give me overall pass due to one failed module then i wont be having any time after that.I came here in UK only for PSW (graduate route scheme)to get 2 years exposure..I have invested 25000 pounds already and don't even got part time job during studying time as period was of corona.I have lost every penny here and if i cant even collect my lost money by working here with PSW opportunity then its clear that university do not want to help at all.Please suggest something as i have read 2012 forums , at that same situation was faced by students.I am in worst dilemma right now , i am ready to pay for extension at any cost
but seems like university needs some treatment from international students.

Hi what is the update on your visa situation

Alikalarikkal
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Alikalarikkal » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi there,
I am in the same situation. They say my resubmission results will be out in June, but my visa will expire April first week. Is there any other way to extend visa till the results?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:27 pm

Alikalarikkal wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:16 pm
I am in the same situation. They say my resubmission results will be out in June, but my visa will expire April first week. Is there any other way to extend visa till the results?
Not for the results specifically, but if you need more time to complete the course, you can ask the university to sponsor an extension for that. Whether they do, that's up to them.

Ghoshann
Newly Registered
India

Post by Ghoshann » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:51 pm

Alikalarikkal wrote:
Hi there,
What happened to your situation? I am in the same situation. My visa expires in may and I've received resubmission deadline of mar 30.

chayz1k
Newly Registered

Post by chayz1k » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:04 pm

Alikalarikkal wrote:
Hi there,

Hey, I am in the same situation my visa is expiring on March 17 but my results will be announced in July 2022. how did you manage to apply for PSW? it would be really helpful if you can guide me.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:38 am

Ghoshann wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:51 pm
What happened to your situation? I am in the same situation. My visa expires in may and I've received resubmission deadline of mar 30.
You need to ask your university for a new CAS ending 30 March, so you can apply for an extension to 30 July (course +4 months). They may or may not be willing to do that.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:51 am

chayz1k wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:04 pm
my visa is expiring on March 17 but my results will be announced in July 2022. how did you manage to apply for PSW? it would be really helpful if you can guide me.
If your course hasn't finished yet, you can ask the university if they will issue a CAS to extend your visa, even if the end date is within the visa you already have. New visa would be to new course end date + 4 months. Some universities are happy to do this, others are not. If they are not, you can ask why not.

But if your course has finished and you are now just waiting for results, you cannot extend your student visa and hence you cannot apply under the Graduate route. You should look at alternative work routes, like Skilled worker which does not itself require that you have successfully completed your course (unless the employer is relying on you being a graduate "new entrant").