ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extremely confused about child first passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Extremely confused about child first passport

Post by jkrobs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:15 pm

Please Please help me!

Ok, I was recently applying for my children's first child's UK passport.

I'm British, my wife is Japanese and we have 2 kids, who were born in Japan. we all currently live in Japan.

We now want to get them a British passport as we will be moving to the UK in the near future.

It's asking me to send loads of documents which is fine, for example, my parent's birth certificate and marriage certificate... but, my Mother back in the UK sent me a link about some MN1 forms...

My understanding is that if I'm British and my child is born in another country to a mother who is not British, then automatically my child is British as I'm British and I can apply for a UK first child passport..but this other link I found tells me I have to register them as British before applying for the passport? is this correct? the form is called MN1 ?? Please could someone confirm for me...

I have to complete 2 of these passports and also my wife's spouse visa..seriously where do I get started with this?

Thanks for any help,

Jimmy

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Extremely confused about child first passport

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Form MN1 is NOT relevant to your children. They are British by descent as you are British born to British parents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:32 pm

Thank you soo much!

Can I ask 1 more question,

It is asking me to send in my birth certificate and marriage certificate,

My parent's birth certificate and marriage certificate,

My wife's parents' birth certificate and marriage certificate.

it says to send in the originals? my parents in the UK, are worried if they send in the originals, what happens if they go missing? they are really old documents from when they were born.

Also, I need to get my wife's parents certificates translated..so if they are translated, do I send in the translated ones or originals? I don't understand that part?

surely once they are translatedd, they are no longer the originals?

also I have 2 kids..and I have to send the documents twice..so should I apply for 1 at a time?

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Can someone help brake down the documents that I need?

I don't mean to found stupid, but for parents' documents, it says ( showing both the childs and parents' details? ) is that my child? or my parents child, ie me?

and then it says if this applies? does that mean I have to send it or not? it's really not very clear..

I'm trying to attached an image to show you what its telling me to send, how do I attached pictures on this forum,

thanks guys

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:00 pm

When were you (the British citizen parent) born?

The documentation will change depending on whether you (the British citizen parent) was born before or after 1st January 1983.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:16 pm

Thank you, I was born in 1984

so after.

I was going to make the payment..but then I realised I don't have all the documents yet, and they are not translated as well...

My parents are in the UK and they need to send me their documents, but I'll be leaving Japan on the 1st of December and returning to the UK. So a little unsure what is the best move here.

After I have made the payment, will it be a little clearer as to what I need to send? the information which I had shown just before I had to make payment..but some of them say ( If this applies ) but with no reason as to if it applies or not?

so does anyone know if Once I make payment, will it clarify what I need to send exactly?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:35 am

As you were born after 1983, you will need the child birth certificate, your own birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate and the birth certificate of one of your parents.
The latter two are to prove that you were born to British citizens within the UK. That would make you a British citizen otherwise than by descent and valuable of transmitting British citizenship to one generation born outside the UK automatically.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:02 am

Thank you so much, it says on the gov UK page when I was applying for my passport..

What you need to send

Can you please confirm to me, it says I need both parents? sorry about this..

childs birth certificate, civil and hospital?

also her Japanese passport?

all pages?

and what is court order?

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 am

Sorry how do I add a picture/image?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:08 am

If your mother was British or settled when you were born in the UK from 1983, then I think that suffices to evidence that you are automatically British otherwise than by descent. Then they shouldn’t require your parents’ marriage certificate nor your father’s details.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:28 am

Thank you, I was also thinking the same...but it says I have to provide many documents, or is this just generic information?

At what point will it tell me exactly what I need to send?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:35 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 am

On supporting documents, it mentions groups...which group would I be? 1, 2 or 3?

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:46 am

Dear All,

Today I applied for my daughter's UK first passport, I had my friends confirm their identity and now I have to send the documents, I have a question.

I have to apply for 1 more passport for my son...

do you think it is ok to send both my daughter's documents and son's documents in the same envelope?

the reason I ask is that I have to send original birth certificates, and if I send them separately..it means I would have to wait for my daughters to be approved, receive the documents back, then send them again for my son. ( I'm talking about my parents, kids grandparents original birth certificates ect...

the address in Belfast, mentions a reference number in the address which is for my daughter's application...if I also write my son's reference number next to it...do you think I can add everything together?

I'll place my daughter's and sons' paperwork in separate clear files, but everything in the same envelope clearly labeled.

what do you think?

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:58 am

Also, please see below...this is what I have been asked to send document wise..

What you need to send

You must send original documents unless we ask for a photocopy. Your application will be delayed if you don’t send everything we need.

Applicant’s documents ( Daughters documents )

Send the following:

full birth (civil and hospital) or adoption certificate showing both the child’s and parents’ details
what does it mean by civil and hopsital? I have her hospital book showing her birth details, but civil? is that her birth certificate from the city hall?

the passport used to enter the country from which you are applying (if this applies) is this her Japanese passport?

full colour copy (every page including blank pages) of any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled This is her Japanese passport right?

any court orders (for example that describe parental responsibility or residency arrangements) what does this mean?

If you don’t have parental responsibility, also send the following:

a signed and dated letter from the mother (or other person with parental responsibility) giving consent for the issue of the child’s new passport not applicable to me I guess

Parents’ documents

For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:

full birth or adoption certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details)
naturalisation or registration certificate my birth certificate right?

Grandparents’ documents

Send all of the following for both maternal grandparents: My wifes parents?

full birth or adoption certificate

grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)

And all of the following for both paternal grandparents: my parents in england?

full birth or adoption certificate

grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)

Someone mentioned on a previous message on my topic that I only need to send 1 of the grandparent's details? but her it's asking me for both?

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:55 am

Can anyone confirm on my last post?

sorry to push...It's just I'm going to apply for my sons tomorrow.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:45 am

Hi All,

I wondered if someone could tell.

1. How long after applying for the documents do I have to send them? It says please send them now, but actually, there are some documents which my mum has to send me from England to Japan. will they withdraw the application if they do not receive them within a certain time period?

2. Can My mum send her paperwork herself and I send my paperwork seperatly from Japan? Or does it all have to be together?

Thank you.

kinami
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kinami » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:19 pm

Hi
sorry, I'm not much help with your application but I'm in a similar situation and I can't get any help, not even from the embassy!
I need to submit documents for 4 children's passports born outside the UK from supporting documents page 3
Its ridiculous and I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to submit any more.

I hope the application works out for you

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:49 pm

I hope you can resolve your applications too!

My mother in England called the Uk passport office and was waiting for 1 hour and 20 minutes..then suddenly cut off.

she called again after 1 hour and 40 minutes and managed to speak to someone, who said they would call her back! they never did..

She said let's wait until today/tomorrow UK time, maybe they will call.

My wife has today gone to our local city hall to hopefully acquire some certificates that we need..

in the meant time, I have read on some forums that some of the paperwork asked by UK GOV to be submitted was not actually needed. So the information asked at the point of application, is not actually correct.

anyway, I will let people know what information my Mother gets.

In the meantime, if anyone can help please add your comment.

I would appreciate it

best regards,

Jimmy

kinami
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kinami » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:57 am

what documents did you realise werent needed?

My application is saying I need to have photos with my own children! like hello, I have an Australian passport plus my expired adult Australian passport, Australian birth certificate and the same for their father but British documents not Australian, we are listed on their birth certificates too!
divorce and custody paperwork from court!
and they ask for pictures of us, I'm so confused.
they also are asking for photo ID and tax records or voting, government issue papers to prove address etc. but I'm not a citizen in morocco or resident, so I don't have these things and their father lives in the UK and he cant apply since the kids don't live with him.

Im exhausted, I have had hours of wait time on hol, no reply etc
I really would like to know how your application goes even though our situations are slightly different.
it would also help others in your situation

keep us updated

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:

Post by jkrobs » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:19 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation...

I applied online and I took a photo of my child using my mobile phone camera..the picture was approved, I have not been asked to supply any other photos or pictures of myself with my kids.

Maybe it depends on the country to which your applying from...In my case Japan.

I honestly have no idea...

My wife is heading to the city hall this evening to get the documents which we need, Honestly, I have no idea how I would deal with these applications if it was not for her.

Hopefully, my Mother can speak to the passport department soon to confirm.

I'm due to fly back to the UK on the 1st of December..so I would like to try and send all the documents asap if possible.

Let's keep in touch on our applications.

Also, can I ask how you determined which group document you are? You mentioned your group 3? How do you determine this?

It says when were you born? are they referring to the child or the parents' age?

My daughter was born in 2019? I was born in 1984.

kinami
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kinami » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:02 pm

Hi,

I hope you got your documents sorted.
I'm doing this all alone and wish I had someone to help but my ex has more issues than being unreliable so that's part of the reason I'm doing it alone.

In regards to the supporting documents, there are 3 categories.
When I made the online application for my oldest born abroad ( she has never had any passport issued from any country) it stated I needed to print the form and submit it with supporting documents from the link ( it sent me to group 3)
This was after the online application asked my daughters date of birth, country of residence, and country of birth
when I did the same process for my 2 born in the UK ( child under 16 renewal of British passport) it sent me to group 1 for supporting documents

I know with the form it says to fill out all information about 'you' is in reference to who the form is for. so in your case 'you' would be one of your children.

as for supporting documents, it's unclear in some cases how can I provide such supporting documents for a baby or child and other parts clearly state if this is for a child passport provide xyz ( parents documents)

but the table of contents that is for applying for (an unregistered child) first British passport for child born abroad states I need 3 documents from category C ( which asks for tax information and things that only an adult would have) plus asks for pictures of me with my children.

I asked using the online form ( which states they should reply within 72 hours ) about this because I'm confused and the embassy still hasn't replied to any of my requests.

sorry for hijacking your thread, I hope someone can chime in and help you.
I see your born 1984, my ex ( the brit) was born 1978 so I don't know the rules around your date of birth for the application.
supporting documents do vary for country and age etc

kinami
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kinami » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:22 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... ce-webchat

have you tried this service ?
its an online chat with the passport office
jkrobs wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:19 am
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation...

I applied online and I took a photo of my child using my mobile phone camera..the picture was approved, I have not been asked to supply any other photos or pictures of myself with my kids.

Maybe it depends on the country to which your applying from...In my case Japan.

I honestly have no idea...

My wife is heading to the city hall this evening to get the documents which we need, Honestly, I have no idea how I would deal with these applications if it was not for her.

Hopefully, my Mother can speak to the passport department soon to confirm.

I'm due to fly back to the UK on the 1st of December..so I would like to try and send all the documents asap if possible.

Let's keep in touch on our applications.

Also, can I ask how you determined which group document you are? You mentioned your group 3? How do you determine this?

It says when were you born? are they referring to the child or the parents' age?

My daughter was born in 2019? I was born in 1984.