ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in UK Test after ILR

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

momer79

Life in UK Test after ILR

Post by momer79 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:05 am

Hi, i have just got my ILR and i also passed "Life in UK" test.

I got my ILR in PEO office sheffield and i am not sure if they have returned me Life in UK test results back if not then do i have to take this test again or they will have the record of my results?

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:15 am

They keep your results on record so you won't need to provide proof when you apply for BC.

Spouse
Newly Registered

Post by Spouse » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:08 am

Hi,

Got ILR last week in the Glasgow office.

They returned the notification letter of pass in Life in the UK to my partner and advised my partner to present it when applying for British citizenship.

Spouse

Spouse
Newly Registered

Post by Spouse » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi momer 79

Please read the following:

Nationality checking service
Applying

This page explains what the nationality checking service is and how you can use it when making your application for British citizenship.

The nationality checking service is provided by local authorities (for example your county council or city council). The service allows you to make your application for British citizenship in person at your local council offices.

How does the service work?
If you decide to use the nationality checking service, you will have to pay a fee to the local authority. The fee is set by the local authority and you should contact it for details. The local authority fee is in addition to the fee you pay to us for deciding your application.

You should contact the local authority before you visit its office to find out if you need to make an appointment. You must visit the local authority in person; you cannot send a representative on your behalf. If you are a husband and wife or civil partners making a joint application you must visit the local authority together.

You should take your completed application form, supporting documents and the application fee with you to the local authority offices. Staff will check:

your application form is completed correctly; and
you have provided all the necessary supporting documents; and
you have included the correct fee for us to process your application.

The local authority will also photocopy and certify any valuable documents such as your passport. Your valuable documents will be returned and you will not need to send them to us. You must take the original documents with you to the local authority; photocopies are not acceptable.

We need the original evidence of your knowledge of life in the UK. These documents will not be photocopied by the local authority. We will return any original educational certificates by recorded delivery. Your letter about your life in the UK test will be retained by us as part of your application.
Once your application has been checked and your valuable documents have been copied, your application will be sent to us by recorded delivery.

The local authority only provides a checking service and will not be able to give you nationality or immigration advice. If we need further information to support your application we will write to you at the address you provided on the application form.

Where is the service available?
The service is not available from all local authorities. If your local authority does not currently provide the service you can go to another authority in your area.

To make it easier for you to find your closest local authority that offers the service, we have separated the information into offices in England, Greater London, Scotland and Wales.

Spouse

AzimScot

Post by AzimScot » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Is it available with the Glasgow City Council?

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:52 pm

Casa wrote:They keep your results on record so you won't need to provide proof when you apply for BC.
They returned my wife's certificate when she applied for ILR. They then requested it again when she applied for BC.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:59 pm

AzimScot wrote:Is it available with the Glasgow City Council?
Don't think so - the only places advertised in Scotland on the BIA website are East Kilbride, Hamilton and Lanark. Probably not too far to travel from Glasgow.

momer79

I don't need to submit Life in UK test results again

Post by momer79 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi,

I don't need to submit my test details or resit the test again as there is tick option available in new British Citizenship form AN under section 1.20

Tick option: "I passed the Life in the UK test to qualify for settlement".

I didn't get my life in uk letter back from PEO office.

Regards
Umar

John

Post by John » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:52 pm

I think there is some confusion here, and I think that is easily rectified if reference is made to the form AN and its accompanying guide.

Some people will need to send in a certificate with the AN application form. This is because, for example, they are a family member of an EEA citizen, and thus got their PR status without needing to provide a certificate, or it could be that they got their ILR some time ago, before the requirement to provide the certificate had been introduced in order to get that ILR.

However for others, all they need to do is to tick the last box under Q1.22 on the form AN. That is it! No need to submit a certificate in order to prove that! And as it says in the Guide ,,,, last bullet point .... "Your confirmation that you met this requirement in order to obtain settlement." .... which you do merely by ticking that box on the form AN!

UKBA will easily be able to check whether the certificate was produced when ILR was granted. This really is not an issue to worry about.

Of course anyone ticking that box, who has not actually provided a certificate previously, will get found out, and no doubt their application rejected.
John

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:13 pm

John wrote: However for others, all they need to do is to tick the last box under Q1.22 on the form AN. That is it! No need to submit a certificate in order to prove that! And as it says in the Guide ,,,, last bullet point .... "Your confirmation that you met this requirement in order to obtain settlement." .... which you do merely by ticking that box on the form AN!

UKBA will easily be able to check whether the certificate was produced when ILR was granted. This really is not an issue to worry about.

Of course anyone ticking that box, who has not actually provided a certificate previously, will get found out, and no doubt their application rejected.
My wife ticked that box, but they wrote to her asking her to send the certificate again (they returned it when she applied for ILR). Seems like they want to keep the originals of the test certificates.