ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Taking husband's surname 15 years after marriage - Indian passport change

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dolphin21
India

Taking husband's surname 15 years after marriage - Indian passport change

Post by dolphin21 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:22 pm

15 years after marriage I am planning to start using my husband's surname and also want to get my surname changed my Indian passport. Can I use my original marriage certificate to request this change in the passport? I live in the UK and have ILR.

Normally marriage certificate should be adequate proof but it's been 15 years so would appreciate advice.

thanks in advance

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Taking husband's surname 15 years after marriage - Indian passport change

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:30 pm

dolphin21 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:22 pm
15 years after marriage I am planning to start using my husband's surname and also want to get my surname changed my Indian passport. Can I use my original marriage certificate to request this change in the passport? Yes that is the only document they would require. You may write a letter siting your reasons for not changing your name on the passport earlier (Not Mandatory but always good, since, I'm sure in last 15 years you must would have renewed passport at least once.) Also, kindly note, once you change your name and its registered as an observation in your passport, Your husband would also have to use miscellaneous services and get the same updated on his passport. I live in the UK and have ILR.

Normally marriage certificate should be adequate proof but it's been 15 years so would appreciate advice. It would suffice.

thanks in advance
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

dolphin21
India

Post by dolphin21 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:38 pm

That is very helpful.

After name change i will get passport with my new surname, so I will also need to apply for a new BRP as well. When I apply for BRP in my new name, what should I mention as date of name change?

I assume it will be the date on which I submitted my passport application with new surname - so that date effectively becomes the date of name change both for new BRP application and also naturalisation (whenever I were to apply). Is that right?

So, even if I am using marriage certificate to get my surname changed, it should not be the case that name change is being effective from my marriage date?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:55 pm

dolphin21 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:38 pm
That is very helpful.

After name change i will get passport with my new surname, so I will also need to apply for a new BRP as well. When I apply for BRP in my new name, what should I mention as date of name change? The date of your name change is the date on your marriage certificate, however, you have delayed getting it reflected on your Passport. That still does not change the date your name was changed. Also, you are not required to get your BRP changed immediately, though there is no harm too. If you do apply though kindly write a letter explaining the delay in getting your passport updated with your married name and hence the delay.

I assume it will be the date on which I submitted my passport application with new surname - so that date effectively becomes the date of name change both for new BRP application and also naturalisation (whenever I were to apply). Is that right? No explained above.

So, even if I am using marriage certificate to get my surname changed, it should not be the case that name change is being effective from my marriage date? Please note date of name change is the date of marriage certificate, usually the marriage certificate says that explicitly. It is neither the date you got married, nor the day you apply for change of name on your passport, it is the date on your marriage certificate.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

dolphin21
India

Post by dolphin21 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:14 pm

sorry for the confusion.

actually, my surname mentioned in my marriage certificate is my maiden and not my husband's surname. Does that mean my surname cannot be changed based on this marriage certificate?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:16 pm

dolphin21 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:14 pm
sorry for the confusion.

actually, my surname mentioned in my marriage certificate is my maiden and not my husband's surname. Does that mean my surname cannot be changed based on this marriage certificate?
A marriage certificate ALWAYS states the maiden name. The certificate is proof of marriage and taking on another name but does not list the new name in the certificate for you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dolphin21
India

Post by dolphin21 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:25 pm

ok that makes sense. thanks for clarifying.

But isn't it true that an Indian woman can choose to keep her maiden surname after marriage - so in my case I decided not to use my husband's surname for 15 years and am now choosing to change it based on marriage certificate - so really speaking date of name change should be now when I have decided to start using husband's surname and not at the time or marriage? and that date and not marriage date should be the date of name change mentioned for BRP application as well?

Marriage certificate is a proof of marriage but not necessarily wife taking on husband's surname?

sorry - i just want to be sure before I change anything.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:26 pm

Anyone can choose to keep their maiden name. It is not specific only to Indian citizens.

Anyone can choose at any point to change their surname too.

Date of name change will be now, but it is based on the date of marriage as it is the marriage date that signifies the possibility to enable you to change your name.

You are completely overthinking!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dolphin21
India

Post by dolphin21 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Understood and that makes sense - that date of surname will be now but based on marriage 15 years ago.

you have been super helpful.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:16 pm
A marriage certificate ALWAYS states the maiden name. The certificate is proof of marriage and taking on another name but does not list the new name in the certificate for you.
That is not true, my marriage certificate clearly states my wifes maiden name, as well new name also, the date of the change, i.e., the date my marriage was registered.

Its true some women don't change their name wright after marriage, hence, the column/cell/space might stay blank, however, there is space demarcated for new name on certificate.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:05 pm

dolphin21 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:34 pm
Understood and that makes sense - that date of surname will be now but based on marriage 15 years ago.

you have been super helpful.
I think your case is similar to this.

other-countries/changing-surname-on-ind ... 10857.html

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:50 pm

After 15 years, why don’t you want to continue to keep your maiden name as your surname?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.