ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retention of South Africa Citizenship from within the UK

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

HelloWorld_21
Newly Registered
South Africa

Retention of South Africa Citizenship from within the UK

Post by HelloWorld_21 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:59 pm

Hello

I will shortly be applying to retain my South African citizenship (before applying for British citizenship) and I am looking for some guidance on the process in the UK at during Covid-19.

I have been on the South Africa High Commission website and have all the forms and guidance setting out the broad steps to make an application by post only (dated Nov 2020). While much of this is straightforward, I have three questions that remain unclear to me.

If anyone has applied recently, I would be grateful on any guidance on the below:

• PASSPORT. Is it necessary to send your passport + two certified copies of your passport, or ONLY 2 certified copies of the passports?
• CERTIFICATION. What kind of certification is necessary for passport copies? Is certification by a UK Commissioner of Oaths ok? (if so, does anyone have any recommendations of where to take get them done in London?)
• PROCESSING TIME. How long did it take to receive the retention letter? Guidance says 15 days, but it would be good to get a sense if this is being met from someone who has recently applied.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance on the above!

nic642ILR
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Retention of South Africa Citizenship from within the UK

Post by nic642ILR » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Hi,

The SAHC only accept postal applications for application of retention of citizenship and, as I understand, two certified copies of your passport will suffice. You can get the certification done at a Post Office for c. £12.

I am unsure on the actual time it takes to process the retention application.

Best,
Nic