ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK as brirish citizen without passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

benbmxer
Mood:
Bolivia

Entering UK as brirish citizen without passport

Post by benbmxer » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi all,
Once again coming back to this forum for your invaluable help please.
I have become a British citizen on Nov 3rd 2021 (certificate received and ceremony done) but I still don't have a British Passport. I will be travelling to Netherlands in 2 weeks with my original nationality passport (Bolivian) and then coming back to UK.
My question is, will I be able to travel back to UK without having a British Passport and entering the borders with my normal passport and Biometric Residence Permit card like before? I still have my BRP card with me which I didn't want to send back to the home office until I got my British passport.
Is there any risk I might be refused boarding by the airline in Netherlands? What can I do to prove to them I'm a British Citizen now (I also have the EU Settled status).
Thank you.
B

zimba
Mood:

Re: Entering UK as brirish citizen without passport

Post by zimba » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:29 am

benbmxer wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 pm
Hi all,
I have become a British citizen on Nov 3rd 2021 (certificate received and ceremony done) but I still don't have a British Passport. I will be travelling to Netherlands in 2 weeks with my original nationality passport (Bolivian) and then coming back to UK.
My question is, will I be able to travel back to UK without having a British Passport and entering the borders with my normal passport and Biometric Residence Permit card like before? I still have my BRP card with me which I didn't want to send back to the home office until I got my British passport.
Is there any risk I might be refused boarding by the airline in Netherlands? What can I do to prove to them I'm a British Citizen now (I also have the EU Settled status).
Thank you.
B
After the ceremony, your ILR status is LOST and your BRP is invalid. In fact, you can be fined if you do not return your BRP.

However, you can use the valid BRP to get on a plane to the UK but you MUST carry your naturalisation certificate to prove you are a citizen at the UK border. Expect delays at the border and you could be fined for not returning your BRP
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

FloweringBud
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by FloweringBud » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 am

benbmxer wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 pm
Hi all,
Thank you.
B
You should have already sent your BRP back within 5 days after your ceremony as stated on home office website. You could be fined up to £1000 if you don’t.

Ben1989
United States of America

Post by Ben1989 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:08 am

You're BRP is now invalid. You are now living in the UK as a citizen. Therefore, you're pointlessly holding your BRP and significantly risking a fine.