ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering the UK with a sharecode

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

Entering the UK with a sharecode

Post by kamoe » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:16 pm

From what Eurostar advises on its website, it seems like EU citizens could prove immigration Status to a UK border officer with a share code. :shock:

I am taking the above advise with a pinch of salt, because I am not sure UK border officers' terminals have access to the Internet as such, and wether a system that allows them to type a share code, as opposed to scan and automatically check a relevant document, is in place at their border control system (I thought share codes where for domestic checks like employers and landlords, not for UK border control officers, whom I thought only used their own intranet systems, not the internet, through which they could check statuses if and only if people provided the document that is attached to the status). So...

Question: Has anyone been admitted to the UK by proving status to a UK border officer using only a share code, and not the specific document they used to apply for status?
(Obviously assuming you are also providing a valid travel document, passport or ID card; only that it happens not to be the one you used to apply for status).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Entering the UK with a sharecode

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:05 pm

No direct experience, but your settled status is linked to the EU ID (passport or ID) which was used when applying and will show up on the border force terminal when they check it. A share code is more for proving right to work, rent, etc.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:36 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:05 pm
No direct experience, but your settled status is linked to the EU ID (passport or ID) which was used when applying and will show up on the border force terminal when they check it. A share code is more for proving right to work, rent, etc.
Lol, are you sure you read my post? :P
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:05 pm
your settled status is linked to the EU ID (passport or ID) which was used when applying and will show up on the border force terminal when they check it. A share code is more for proving right to work, rent, etc.
Point being, if you read my message, you'll know I am already aware of that.

I'm thinking of two scenarios here:

1. A EU national has settled or pre-settled status, but doesn't have the document that is attached to the status with them. They have an alternative valid travel document, like their passport if they applied with their national ID, or vice versa.

2. A non-EU national have settled or pre-settled status, but the biometric residence card they have with them is no longer valid because they replaced it with a EUSS card, and the new card has been issued, but they don't have it with them. Or they are a non-visa national and they don't have a residence card.

Bottomline question is: Could the people above enter the UK on their valid travel documents, and a share code, assuming the airlines did not have an issue (because of old EEA RC is still valid on paper, or they are a non-visa national)? That's my question.

expat1
Newly Registered

Post by expat1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:39 pm

But if all EU citizens can use egates, including visitors, it seems a share code isn’t needed at all with a valid passport.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:37 pm

expat1 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:39 pm
But if all EU citizens can use egates, including visitors, it seems a share code isn’t needed at all with a valid passport.
There are scenarios eGates are out of the possibilities. Read my post. I'm also interested in the option for non-EU nationals.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:12 pm

Thanks both for your contribution. I think I am not being clear about the aim of this question. The point here is not to know what the best thing to do is (we already know that ideally one should always travel with the document used to apply and with valid brc or brp... Etc)

The point is to know if share codes are if any use at the border or not. Would UK border officer a use them at all. That's all.

expat1
Newly Registered

Post by expat1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:12 pm

At the end of the day, those who will need the ‘friendly chat’ with an officer will be people travelling with ID cards and Non-EU nationals relying on EUSS permits, basically the people who can’t use egates.
In this case a share code could be useful in my opinion, along with other evidence like printouts of status decision letters.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:48 am

expat1 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:12 pm
At the end of the day, those who will need the ‘friendly chat’ with an officer will be people travelling with ID cards and Non-EU nationals relying on EUSS permits, basically the people who can’t use egates.
In this case a share code could be useful in my opinion, along with other evidence like printouts of status decision letters.
Yes, this seems to be the general consensus.

I did contact the 3million and this is their answer. Again I don't think I was super clear on what I was asking (they also tell me what I already know), but it does imply that as a last resource, share codes could potentially be used by border officers:
Thank you for your email.

Having a sharecode ready and at hand is a precaution. We understand that border control does have access to a database of our status but sometimes this doesn't work and they will need to view your status using the 'View and Prove' service - i.e. the sharecode. It is essentially a backup. It will also be helpful for those who are travelling to the UK with ID documents instead of passports as people wishing to enter the UK using ID documents will need to prove their status to boarding staff.

To travel to the UK you will need a valid document. From October, the UK will not allow people to travel to the UK using ID documents EXCEPT for EU citizens with EUSS status.

I hope that this is helpful!

Many thanks,

expat1
Newly Registered

Post by expat1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:43 pm

Actually the Ryanair online check in service still has the same ID card option for flights well into October, without any extra requests (share codes etc.).
So at the moment you can still print a boarding pass in the normal way.

expat1
Newly Registered

Post by expat1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:56 pm

Just an update, I was able to complete the Ryanair online check-in using an ID card number, no share code was requested.

benbmxer
Mood:
Bolivia

Post by benbmxer » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:45 pm

What about the case of a non-eu national? My case for example I've got EU settled status in April 2021 and then became British citizen in Nov 2021 but still don't have the British passport. I'll be travelling to the Netherlands in 4 days with my non-eu passport and on my way back, I intend to present that passport plus my BRP card and I will have with me my certificate of British Citizenship as well if necessary. Do you think I will have issues with the airline or the immigration officer?

Thanks.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:13 pm

benbmxer wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:45 pm
What about the case of a non-eu national? My case for example I've got EU settled status in April 2021 and then became British citizen in Nov 2021 but still don't have the British passport. I'll be travelling to the Netherlands in 4 days with my non-eu passport and on my way back, I intend to present that passport plus my BRP card and I will have with me my certificate of British Citizenship as well if necessary. Do you think I will have issues with the airline or the immigration officer?

Thanks.
Sorry, for some reason I did not make clear that all this discussion included both EU and non-EU nationals with status under the Settlement Scheme.

As long as your BRP card is valid, you won't have a problem. Bear in mind that you will be admitted as a national of whatever country issued your passport, not as British national.

benbmxer
Mood:
Bolivia

Post by benbmxer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:48 am

kamoe wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:13 pm
benbmxer wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:45 pm

Thanks.
Sorry, for some reason I did not make clear that all this discussion included both EU and non-EU nationals with status under the Settlement Scheme.

As long as your BRP card is valid, you won't have a problem. Bear in mind that you will be admitted as a national of whatever country issued your passport, not as British national.
Thank you!