ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application is delayed for 2+ years

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SamiZ
Newly Registered
Palestine

Naturalisation application is delayed for 2+ years

Post by SamiZ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:05 am

Dear All,
Hope you are well.
Firstly, I apologise for the lengthy post but it is a 2+ years journey that is still ongoing.

My wife and I have applied for our British Citizenship on 25th October 2019 and have submitted our biometrics on 21st November 2019. We have contacted the Home Office via email asking for an update about our case on 10th August 2020 and received a general response on 27th August 2020 that informs us that there is a delay in the applications, and it might take longer than expected without giving any insights to the status of the application. However, we have received a further email on 5th November 2020 from the caseworker who asked us to resend the application to continue the application. This was due to the fact that the qualification period starts from exactly five years before the submission date of the application, and we were away at that time of the year. As a result, we have resent the application as requested and we have received an acknowledgement of the receipt of the application.

On 2nd December 2020, my wife has received her citizenship decision letter. However, I still have not received any letters about my case. My wife and I are part of the same application, which was submitted on around 18 months ago.

On 15th March 2021, I emailed the Home Office at furthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk asking for an update but did the same response as before.

On 20th April 2021, I contacted my MP to contact the HO and get an update on the case and they confirmed that they have contacted the HO on 21st April 2021. On 13th June 2021, my MP informed me that they have received an email from the HO informing them that “they will not be able to provide our office with a response within their target 20 working days and that they have requested for more time to look into our enquiry and respond.”

I chased my MP again on 8th July 2021 asking for an update and they resent a new request to the HO on 2nd August 2021 and advised me to file a formal complaint, which I did on 4th August 2021. I never received a HO response to my complaint!

On 13th October 2021, I contacted my MP again telling them that I filed a complaint and also never got an answer and, as a result, my MP contacted the HO again requesting an update.

On 16th November, the HO responded to my MP with a lengthy email mentioning that my wife’s case and mine were separated when we resent the applications back in November 2020. Therefore, my wife has received her citizenship decision and mine did not. They mentioned in their response that the cause of the delay is that they “have to ensure the statutory requirements of the Immigration Rules are met. This is achieved by conducting a series of mandatory checks and enquiries. It is right and fair that the Immigration Rules are applied consistently in all cases. Therefore no application will be granted until the mandatory checks are complete, even if this process takes longer than the published service standard for the application type. This a necessary part of the Secretary of State’s legal right to maintain effective immigration control.

I don’t know what steps I could take to get them to give me more details on my case and what is exactly stopping them from proceeding with my application.
Could you advise me, please?

Many thanks,

Hasan1983
Sudan

Re: Naturalisation application is delayed for 2+ years

Post by Hasan1983 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:22 am

SamiZ wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:05 am
Dear All,
Hope you are well.
Firstly, I apologise for the lengthy post but it is a 2+ years journey that is still ongoing.

My wife and I have applied for our British Citizenship on 25th October 2019 and have submitted our biometrics on 21st November 2019. We have contacted the Home Office via email asking for an update about our case on 10th August 2020 and received a general response on 27th August 2020 that informs us that there is a delay in the applications, and it might take longer than expected without giving any insights to the status of the application. However, we have received a further email on 5th November 2020 from the caseworker who asked us to resend the application to continue the application. This was due to the fact that the qualification period starts from exactly five years before the submission date of the application, and we were away at that time of the year. As a result, we have resent the application as requested and we have received an acknowledgement of the receipt of the application.

On 2nd December 2020, my wife has received her citizenship decision letter. However, I still have not received any letters about my case. My wife and I are part of the same application, which was submitted on around 18 months ago.

On 15th March 2021, I emailed the Home Office at furthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk asking for an update but did the same response as before.

On 20th April 2021, I contacted my MP to contact the HO and get an update on the case and they confirmed that they have contacted the HO on 21st April 2021. On 13th June 2021, my MP informed me that they have received an email from the HO informing them that “they will not be able to provide our office with a response within their target 20 working days and that they have requested for more time to look into our enquiry and respond.”

I chased my MP again on 8th July 2021 asking for an update and they resent a new request to the HO on 2nd August 2021 and advised me to file a formal complaint, which I did on 4th August 2021. I never received a HO response to my complaint!

On 13th October 2021, I contacted my MP again telling them that I filed a complaint and also never got an answer and, as a result, my MP contacted the HO again requesting an update.

On 16th November, the HO responded to my MP with a lengthy email mentioning that my wife’s case and mine were separated when we resent the applications back in November 2020. Therefore, my wife has received her citizenship decision and mine did not. They mentioned in their response that the cause of the delay is that they “have to ensure the statutory requirements of the Immigration Rules are met. This is achieved by conducting a series of mandatory checks and enquiries. It is right and fair that the Immigration Rules are applied consistently in all cases. Therefore no application will be granted until the mandatory checks are complete, even if this process takes longer than the published service standard for the application type. This a necessary part of the Secretary of State’s legal right to maintain effective immigration control.

I don’t know what steps I could take to get them to give me more details on my case and what is exactly stopping them from proceeding with my application.
Could you advise me, please?

Many thanks,
[/quote

That is bloody long time. However if you don't mind can you mention any up normality with your application if there is?, for instance what was your immigration history, criminality or any something else which you may think could be the reason. Unfortunately ho 😑 checks and enquiries are withheld confidentially. The only path in your case is SAR if I got you right.

SamiZ
Newly Registered
Palestine

Post by SamiZ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:49 am

Hasan1983 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:22 am
That is bloody long time. However if you don't mind can you mention any up normality with your application if there is?, for instance what was your immigration history, criminality or any something else which you may think could be the reason. Unfortunately ho 😑 checks and enquiries are withheld confidentially. The only path in your case is SAR if I got you right.
Hi Hassan,
The application is my Dad's in low and he used to be a former spokesman of a political party abroad. He is 74+ years old and he is retired in the UK for more than 10 years. He has no criminal records but we believe that his political background is what would be delaying his case.

I might try to use SAR as you advised but also I need to find out if there is anything we can do to get this case be progressed.
Last edited by SamiZ on Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

prs
BANNED

Post by prs » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:51 am

Unless there's another reason such as past criminal history, you also have the option of PAP in which case the HO will have 20 days to respond properly.

Secretary of State seems to think they are some sort of secretive elite force that no one should question and no one should know what they are doing. hence all these secrecy and grey areas and Cat and mouse games that the play!

When in fact without people like us and our money, there will be no "secretary of state".

FUMING..

prs
BANNED

Post by prs » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:54 am

SamiZ wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:49 am
Hasan1983 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:22 am
Hi Hassan,
The application is my Dad's in low and he used to be a former spokesman of a political party abroad. He is 74+ years old and he is retired in the UK for more than 10 years. He has no criminal records but we believe that his political background is what would be delaying his case.

I might try to use SAR as you advised but also I need to find out if there is anything we can do to get this case be progressed.
there's your answer then. when it comes to political applications, the application can go 2 ways. either decision is made very quickly or it could take a very long time for one reason or another.

George111
Newly Registered

Post by George111 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:27 am

I'd say it's with security services for checks (i.e. counter intelligence etc) and/or up for a political decision. From what I understand it could take a very long time, there are no service standards in these cases and there is not much you can do to expedite it even if you take Home Office to court

JKAR25142
Newly Registered
Swaziland

Post by JKAR25142 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 am

I have applied for citizenship on 10/2019, and since then I have not heard from the HO I do not know what to do. I have been sending emails to them, but I have had no response at all.

Anyone has been in the same situation, and what should I do?

Thanks

prs
BANNED

Post by prs » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:33 am

There's so many similar cases on this forum. The advice that people in the similar situation get is to get your MP involved and/or PAP letter.