ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with EU ID card during first British passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tita1990
Newly Registered
Spain

Travelling with EU ID card during first British passport application

Post by Tita1990 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:20 am

Hello,

I am a EU citizen and I have just had my citizenship cermony. Now I am applying to my first British passport and will be send my EU passport and naturalisation certificate to the Home Office.

I need to go to my home country in EU for a few weeks. Will I be able to travel with my EU identity card? Is my settled status still valid in the meantime?

Thank you

magicsign
Italy

Re: Travelling with EU ID card during first British passport application

Post by magicsign » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:28 am

Yes you can come back to the UK with your EU id card until at least 31 Dec 2025

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting-th ... ss-citizen

dexmo

Re: Travelling with EU ID card during first British passport application

Post by dexmo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 am

Tita1990 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:20 am
Hello,

I am a EU citizen and I have just had my citizenship cermony. Now I am applying to my first British passport and will be send my EU passport and naturalisation certificate to the Home Office.

I need to go to my home country in EU for a few weeks. Will I be able to travel with my EU identity card? Is my settled status still valid in the meantime?

Thank you
You won't have a problem at the UK border, you may have one at check-in coming back - airlines typically ask for a physical document that allows you to enter the UK and have been known to deny people with settled/pre-settled status (not something they recognise) boarding their plane and, your naturalisation certificate won't normally be accepted either (not a travel document). I'd check with the airline first - most of them have formal guidance on what they'll accept and what they won't.