ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying 1st Adult British Passport - Do not have "the passport used to enter the UK"

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sambh
Newly Registered
Bhutan

Applying 1st Adult British Passport - Do not have "the passport used to enter the UK"

Post by Sambh » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi,

I've recentely got my Naturalisation Certificate and am trying to apply for my 1st Adult British Passport.

However, I've been asked to provide below documents:
  • Naturalisation Certificate (I have)
  • The passport used to enter the UK (I do not have)
As I came to this country as an Asylam seeker, I was brought in by an agent and I never had the passport with me.

Now, I can only provide Naturalisation Certificate but not the passport used to enter the UK.

What shall I do? Anyone else had similar situation?

Also, what is the deadline to send in these documents to the Passport office as I couldnt find any deadline mentioned in my application.

Kind regards!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying 1st Adult British Passport - Do not have "the passport used to enter the UK"

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:00 pm

Add a covering note to explain - it's not a pre-requisite to have had a foreign passport. Presumably you don't have a UK Travel document either? If you have one you should enclose that instead - still write the cover note explaining.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Sambh
Newly Registered
Bhutan

Re: Applying 1st Adult British Passport - Do not have "the passport used to enter the UK"

Post by Sambh » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:14 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:00 pm
Add a covering note to explain - it's not a pre-requisite to have had a foreign passport. Presumably you don't have a UK Travel document either? If you have one you should enclose that instead - still write the cover note explaining.
Thanks for the reply!

I have returned by BRP and the Travel Document back to Biometrics Product Returs department of HO as they expect us to return old biometric documents within 5 days of receiving naturalisation certificate.

Therefore, I now only have a Naturalisation Certificate as an identity, nothing else.

I can only send the certificate and a cover letter.

Also, any idea on the deadline to send them these documents?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:57 pm

You should not have returned the Travel Document - it's like a passport ....
The address you used is only for BRP returns no other documents .... do you have a copy of your travel document? Perhaps include that. Let's hope they will accept your explanation. You are required to provide the relevant documents once you have submitted your application (if online) or together with the form (if on paper). There are no specific deadlines but HMPO require the documents before they process the application
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

FloweringBud
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by FloweringBud » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:49 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:57 pm
You should not have returned the Travel Document - it's like a passport ....
The address you used is only for BRP returns no other documents ....
On the approval email it says:
Once you have received your certificate of British citizenship any Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card) you have will no longer be valid and cannot be used as evidence of your status. If you have a BRP card you should return it for secure destruction. You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

Your BRP card should be cut in half and posted (in a windowless plain envelope) to Biometric Product Returns, IFB, 5th floor Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY. The postage is not refundable.

If you have any travel documents issued by the Home Office, including expired documents, they should be returned to the Home Office in the same envelope for official cancellation. Include a note stating that you are now a British Citizen and tell us if you would like the travel document returned once cancelled.
Maybe OP misunderstood the wording of this. But to me it seems to include unexpired travel documents including expired documents for official cancellation and whether they would want them to be returned. But I don’t know why they would need to be cancelled unless, a new form of document is required after citizenship ceremony I.e a British passport or certificate of entitlement (for foreign passports, but seeing as OP has no passport it at all; I don’t know how it would work in his case) instead, rendering old document invalid(?)

FloweringBud
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by FloweringBud » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:57 am

Oh yeah, just realised further to that email it says:

[...]

If you have any travel documents issued by the Home Office, including expired documents, they should be returned to the Home Office in the same envelope for official cancellation. Include a note stating that you are now a British Citizen and tell us if you would like the travel document returned once cancelled

If you hold refugee status in the UK, you will lose this status once you become a British citizen.

Sambh
Newly Registered
Bhutan

Post by Sambh » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:52 pm

If anyone out there are in similiar situation as me, good news!

I simply wrote cover letter explaining my circumstances of not having the original passport used to enter the UK.

I explained when I entered and how my AN Application was successful on my cover letter.

I was not asked to provide any more documentation/information.

I have now received my 1st Adult British passport.

Thanks for the support!