ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application from Canada

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

simd
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by simd » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 pm

I have applied for British citizenship from Canada via UKM, and have received e-mail notification that my application has been approved (on August 24th) and that I would be required to attend a citizenship ceremony. However, I have not received any further information since then.

I have two questions:
1. Is this a typical experience? How long are most people waiting for advice regarding timing of the ceremony in Canada?
2. Does anyone know if virtual ceremonies are available in Canada? Current pandemic conditions significantly limit my ability to travel for such events.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

sunburn
United States of America

Re: UKM application from Canada

Post by sunburn » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:56 pm

I'm not a Canadian nor did I go through the process during Covid (mine was in 2018) but my recollection is that they state it will take up to 90 days. I emailed them 1.5 months after approval (at Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk) . They emailed me back a week later to tell me the certificate had been dispatched a month prior to the British Consulate in San Francisco, who soon contacted me to arrange for my attendance - my ceremony was 2 months after approval.

Maybe others have had faster service, but my own experience was that while it didn't take too long, there isn't a whole lot of communication and things happen when they happen.

simd
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by simd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 pm

I am now at the 12 week 5 day mark following approval of my UKM application; the e-mail indicated that I would hear back from the local High Commission regarding a citizenship ceremony in 8-12 weeks, but this has not happened. I have emailed the CT1, Citizenship Support and Further Nationality Enquiries e-mail addresses but have only received standardized replies without any real information.

There is no means of contacting the local High Commission by either e-mail or phone, and the only method that I can see would be to send a letter by mail. However, the initial e-mail specifically advised me not to contact the local consulate or embassy directly.

Does anyone have any advice as to what my next step should be? I have waited patiently, but the recommended time frame for receiving an invitation has now passed with absolutely no correspondence whatsoever.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Re: UKM application from Canada

Post by luthersnowak » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:36 pm

Simd,

When I received a reply from the "Further Inquiries" mailbox, it took me a couple emails to discover there was a form attached to the standard replies that I needed to complete and return. Check any correspondence from them for attachments.

I wish I could help more. This process is difficult, as they really don't give you a lot of info as to progress of your application.

Good Luck!!