ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Postdoctoral Research Associate- applying fot GTV

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aliehsan369
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Postdoctoral Research Associate- applying fot GTV

Post by aliehsan369 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi

I am working as a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Manchester on an EPSRC Funded grant. I have been working in this position since April 2019 on Tier 2 visa. My contract will expire on 30th September 2022.

Am I eligible to apply for the Global Talent visa?

If yes, under which route should i apply?
Route 3-endorsed funders or Route 4-peer review?

Your guidance will be highly appreciated 🙏

Genetics
Newly Registered

Re: Postdoctoral Research Associate- applying fot GTV

Post by Genetics » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:42 pm

You are eligible. Is your name on the funded document? If yes you can apply for a fast-track option though peer review can still go.

hag9
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by hag9 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:10 pm

To apply through the UKRI route, your name or your job title should be mentioned in the award/grant letter. Your employer will also need to say that your contract still has at least 2 more years.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:46 pm

hag9 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:10 pm
Your employer will also need to say that your contract still has at least 2 more years.
Is this specified somewhere?

Now I am in a similar situation: I have been working as a Research Associate in a Horizon 2020 project (EU funded project) at a HE institution in the UK in the last two years.

My contract is about to expire, but the consortium has asked to the EC for a six-month extension to the project and it has been approved. My employer has also agreed to extend my contract, but not sure yet the lenght of this extension, I can only assume it will be tied to the duration of the project.

One of the next steps is to include an amendment to the original grant agreement where names of new members working within the different partners will be added, including mine.

Questions:

1) With my name in the amendment (but not in the original grant agreement), is it sufficient to seek endorsement to switch from Tier 2 (now Skilled Worker) visa to a GTV with the same employer? My T2 visa will expire in 2023.

2) Is there any specific requirement in terms of the lenght of the employment contract for the researcher to apply for a GTV?

The Royal Society route 3 -Endorsed funders- mentions the lenght of the grant.

"a copy of the grant award letter(s) that support your work. The letter must confirm that:
-The grant or award is worth a minimum of £30,000.
-The grant or award covers a minimum period of 2 years."

But I could not find anything related to the lenght of the employee's contract. This project started three years ago and funding is several millions of ££.

It is worth to mention that I don't have a PhD yet, so I am not sure if this is a "mandatory" requirement. The guidelines from the endorsing bodies for routes as a scientific researcher use the term "post-doc" or similar basically everywhere, but I am sure that there's more people working in "post-doc" positions with a MSc degree, like my case.