ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Police registration scheme ended on 4 August 2022

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TuM1010
Newly Registered
Wales

Police registration scheme ended on 4 August 2022

Post by TuM1010 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:02 pm

Hey, in my ILR approval email it says that the police registration certificate should be returned. Does anyone know how to return it? Do I need to book an appointment to OVRO or just drop it to local police station?

Thanks!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Return police registration certificate after ILR

Post by seagul » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:59 pm

TuM1010 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:02 pm
Hey, in my ILR approval email it says that the police registration certificate should be returned. Does anyone know how to return it? Do I need to book an appointment to OVRO or just drop it to local police station?

Thanks!
Why not you visit your local police station in person to enquire the correct procedure.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:13 pm

TuM1010 wrote:

Thanks!
Return to the relevant police force as eventually it goes to them.

Page 20:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pdf#page20
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

TuM1010
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by TuM1010 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:30 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:13 pm
TuM1010 wrote:

Thanks!

Page 20:
Thanks Cullinan for digging this out!

TuM1010
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by TuM1010 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:44 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
TuM1010 wrote:

Thanks!

Page 20:
Thanks again. However it still doesn't specify whether there is a necessity to attend OVRO appointment or is it fine to post it back, etc. Woild be great to know what others hsbe done in regards.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:46 pm

TuM1010 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:44 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
TuM1010 wrote:

Thanks!

Page 20:
Thanks again. However it still doesn't specify whether there is a necessity to attend OVRO appointment or is it fine to post it back, etc. Woild be great to know what others hsbe done in regards.
Does the email you got does not specify anything?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

TuM1010
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by TuM1010 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:54 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:46 pm
TuM1010 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:44 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
TuM1010 wrote:

Thanks!

Page 20:
Does the email you got does not specify anything?
It just said return it to where it's issued(in my case, OVRO - but they don't accept walk-in anymore and is far away), and said if unable to do so then return it to police station nearby. I may just go to a nearby police station post lockdown...just hope they won't require me to visit OVRO

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:55 pm

Yea best to contact OVRO or police station then. As long you return to the police station and get the reference, you will be okay. They will forward it to whoever they want. Your obligation is completed once you return to a relevant police department.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:13 am

There is NO requirement for the police registration to be returned to OVRO or the police force after ILR. The only time this needs to happen is when a person with limited leave to remain departs the UK for good. You DO NOT need to do anything.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:45 am

Hey, in my ILR approval email it says that the police registration certificate should be returned.
OP claims the ILR approval email he received states that the police registration certificate needs to be returned after ILR?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:02 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:45 am
Hey, in my ILR approval email it says that the police registration certificate should be returned.
OP claims the ILR approval email he received states that the police registration certificate needs to be returned after ILR?
There has never been such requirement, there is no such requirement under the rules and there is never been such requirement mentioned by any police force including OVRO
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 am

Zimba wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:02 am
CULLINAN wrote:
There has never been such requirement, there is no such requirement under the rules and there is never been such requirement mentioned by any police force including OVRO
👍

TuM1010
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by TuM1010 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Zimba wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:
Thanks Zimba, in the email it says the following though:

"If you previously had to register with the police, once you are granted indefinite leave to remain you no longer need to do this. You should return your police registration certificate to the office or police station where it was issued to you. If you are unable to do so, return it to the nearest issuing office or police station."

What's your thought here? Thanks

TuM1010
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by TuM1010 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:40 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 am
Zimba wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:
👍
Yeah, I'm quite surprised to see it as well, and I checked my partner's approval letter (received 2years ago), it didn't say anything about returning the certificate. So is it a new thing? Otherwise why would that appear on the approval letter...

TuM1010
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by TuM1010 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:43 pm

Btw, the approval email is from Atlas - I'll also check if the letter vomes with BRP card says the same or not.

londoner2015
Newly Registered
Russia

ILR Email - Requirement to return the Police Registration Certificate

Post by londoner2015 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:00 pm

Like some people on this forum, I have received the following instructions as part of my ILR approval email:
Registering with the police

If you previously had to register with the police, once you are granted indefinite leave to remain you no longer need to do this. You should return your police registration certificate to the office or police station where it was issued to you. If you are unable to do so, return it to the nearest issuing office or police station. You can find the nearest office or station here: http://www.gov.uk/register-with-the-pol ... o-register.
This requirement seems quite new and I couldn't find any info on how exactly this should be done. I happened to have an appointment already booked with OVRO (for an earlier BRP card I needed to report), so I decided to drop by and see what happens.

At the OVRO, they told me that I shouldn't really have come as there is no requirement to return the certificate back to them after ILR. I showed them the email but they said that "the email is mistaken". Funnily enough, they also decided to put yet another stamp on my certificate and update their records to reflect the fact I had received ILR, "as I was there anyway" :lol:

I also asked if it could be a good idea to return the certificate to my local police station (as that's something that the email mentions as well), and the response was "No, they have no idea about these certificates" :D They also told me that I should not dispose of the certificate but keep it in a safe place, "just in case".

Thought I'd share this here as there seems to be some confusion around this new requirement, which seems to be wrong after all.

vinny

Re: Requirement to return the Police Registration Certificate after ILR

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:14 am

A police registration certificate/booklet may also provide further evidence of the ILR holder’s Immigration history and status. The Home Office’s email/letter suggesting that the holder return it to the police, especially one endorsed with
londoner2015 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:00 pm
another stamp on my certificate and update their records to reflect the fact I had received ILR
may be counter productive to the holder and irrational in a hostile environment.

Best to have the police update it and their records, as usual. Agree with OVRO’s advice for the holder to keep the up to date item in a safe place.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Requirement to return the Police Registration Certificate after ILR

Post by zimba » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:08 am

The police registration scheme ended on 4 August 2022.

You no longer need to register with the UK police after you:

arrive in the UK, if you applied for a visa from outside the UK
get permission to stay longer, if you’re already in the UK
If you’ve been told to register with the police, you no longer need to do this, even if you were previously told to.

If you’ve already registered with the police
You do not need to tell the police if any of the information you gave them has changed, such as your address or other personal details. You still need to tell the Home Office about any change to your personal details.

If you have a police registration certificate, you should destroy it before throwing it away, for example by shredding it or cutting it into pieces.

https://www.gov.uk/register-with-the-police