ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP card for Life in UK Test expired + ILR date quetsion

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

adrian1995
Newly Registered
Australia

BRP card for Life in UK Test expired + ILR date quetsion

Post by adrian1995 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:33 pm

Hi,

First up, thanks to all the moderators and contributors to this forum, it's amazing how much help I've had here so far.

I received my ILR in 2020/21 (Tier 1 + Tier 2 route) and I'm now looking at filling our my application form for British Citizenship. I've stumbled across 2 problems so far, I've looked through forum posts but haven't seen a similar quesiton.

For my "Life in UK" test - I used my BRP card associated with my Tier 2, as my ID. The Application form says that I must use the same ID for my BC Application - However when we receive our ILR BRP, I had to return my old BRP card. So what do I do here?

For this question: "Date your leave was granted (if known)" - Is this the date listed as the "Date of Issue" date on our Residence Permit? Or is it the day that my solicitor received the email from the home office indicating that I was granted ILR?

I granted ILR on Nov 30th 2020. However it was sent to the wrong address - it took weeks to register the return, and for it to be re-sent out to a new address - My Residence Permit is March 1st 2021. This means
  • I don't know what date to put on the form.
  • I don't know if, to be safe, I should wait until March 1st 2022 to submit my application.
Thanks

FloweringBud
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: BRP card for Life in UK Test expired + ILR date quetsion

Post by FloweringBud » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:44 am

adrian1995 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:33 pm
1. For my "Life in UK" test - I used my BRP card associated with my Tier 2, as my ID. The Application form says that I must use the same ID for my BC Application - However when we receive our ILR BRP, I had to return my old BRP card. So what do I do here?

Form AN guidance https://assets.publishing.service.gov. ... _final.pdf says:
Under section: LIFE IN THE UK test
If you have a biometric residence permit, you must use it as evidence of identity to take the test.
Under section: EVIDENCE OF IDENTITY
If you were issued with a Biometric Residence Permit, you must provide/use it in support of your application, alongside:

• Your passport* or
• National identity* card or
• Home Office travel document* or
• Home Office entitlement card* or
• Home Office ARC letter* or
• Your photo driving licence* or...

* if you used one of these documents when you took the Knowledge of Life in the UK test you will be expected to use it again by enclosing it with your naturalisation application.
If you look at the wording, it does mention having to use your BRP as proof of identity for the LITUK test and naturalisation application. But it does not explicitly mention that it has to be the exact same BRP that was used in the LITUK test - with the exception of certain identity documents being “expected” to be used for the naturalisation application; no reference is made to the BRP here and the documents which are eligible are marked with an asterisk (*).

If you are that worried, you can include a cover letter explaining at the time of the LITUK test you had Tier 2 BRP and that you now have a ILR BRP; which can be included as a separate document (you can put it under “other”) when uploading your supporting documents on the UKVCAS website.

2. For this question: "Date your leave was granted (if known)" - Is this the date listed as the "Date of Issue" date on our Residence Permit? Or is it the day that my solicitor received the email from the home office indicating that I was granted ILR?

I granted ILR on Nov 30th 2020. However it was sent to the wrong address - it took weeks to register the return, and for it to be re-sent out to a new address - My Residence Permit is March 1st 2021. This means
  • I don't know what date to put on the form.
  • I don't know if, to be safe, I should wait until March 1st 2022 to submit my application.
Thanks.

If you look at the question carefully it says, date ILR was granted i.e Nov 30th 2020, not the date of issue/arrival of ILR/BRP card. So you are therefore eligible to apply for naturalisation from Nov 30th 2021. Plus, I wouldn’t worry too much about this question as it says (if known).

FloweringBud
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by FloweringBud » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:56 am

Also before the BRP was introduced (pre-2013) you had a ILR vignette stamp In your passport. Since LITUK do not expire and can be used for all future immigration applications, it would be weird to expect all applicants to have a BRP (pre-2013) or same visa status between during the time they took the test and when applying for naturalisation; as before 2013, BRPs were not an option as a proof of identity.

Moustafamortada
Newly Registered

Post by Moustafamortada » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:13 pm

Could you tell what happened at the end, please?
I’m in same situation where I has letter ILR granted 6 April but BRP was late for two months dating 26 May and I’m confused since when to count one year for naturalisation.
Was itNovember or March for you then ?