ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EU ILR holder applying for British passport for my son's passport. Baby born in the UK.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

strangersmall
Newly Registered

Non-EU ILR holder applying for British passport for my son's passport. Baby born in the UK.

Post by strangersmall » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:44 pm

Hi, I want to get some advice in relation to getting British passport for my son. I have ILR (indefinite leave to remain) and my partner is on dependant visa. We are married. None of us are from EU.

I am applying for passport from this link https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

When I try to fill in the application, it asks "Did either parent have settled status from the EU Settlement Scheme when you were born?" and explicitly states "Only tell us about EU settled status, not pre-settled status or other types of indefinite leave to remain.".

Once I answer the above, it asks for parents details and if we hold UK passport and none of us do. Hence, it moves to grandparents details.

At no stage during the application, we are asked if one of the parents hold ILR from non-EU settlement route.

Proceeding further, for the documents we are asked to provide the below. I am quite unclear how to proceed as I am pretty sure these documents are not relevant and I dont have them anyway. Could anyone please direct me in the right path?
Parents’ documents

For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:
  • full birth or adoption certificate
    naturalisation or registration certificate
    the non-British passport they had when you were born showing indefinite leave to remain
Grandparents’ documents

Send all of the following for both maternal grandparents:

grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)
And all of the following for both paternal grandparents:

grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)
According to this https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citize ... 21-onwards, I do think our son is eligible for British passport.

If your parents were not British, Irish, EU or EEA citizens when you were born
You’re a British citizen automatically if when you were born at least one of your parents was living in the UK and had any of the following:
  • indefinite leave to remain (ILR)

right to re-admission

right of abode

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Non-EU ILR holder applying for British passport for my son's passport. Baby born in the UK.

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:28 pm

Child was born in the UK after you obtained ILR, presumably?
Grandparents details/documents are not required as this doesn't apply in your son's case.
All that is required is evidence of your ILR (supporting son's claim to British citizenship) and son's birth certificate, as far as I know.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

strangersmall
Newly Registered

Re: Non-EU ILR holder applying for British passport for my son's passport. Baby born in the UK.

Post by strangersmall » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:30 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:28 pm
Child was born in the UK after you obtained ILR, presumably?
Grandparents details/documents are not required as this doesn't apply in your son's case.
All that is required is evidence of your ILR (supporting son's claim to British citizenship) and son's birth certificate, as far as I know.
Thanks for your reply. Exactly, child born after I got my ILR.
I have gone through this application tens of times and cannot really understand why I am being asked for the grandparent info and not for my ILR.

The only question that asks for ILR is following and I have to say NO.
Did either parent have settled status from the EU Settlement Scheme when you were born?
The EU Settlement Scheme(opens in new tab) is for citizens of the EU (excluding the UK), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, plus their families.

Only tell us about EU settled status, not pre-settled status or other types of indefinite leave to remain.

Did either parent have settled status from the EU Settlement Scheme when you were born?
Yes
No
I don’t know
After this it asks for parents details and nationality, none of us are British. Next it comes us with this:
Grandparents’ details
Based on the information you provided, we need your grandparents’ details.

Their details will help confirm your parents’ nationality and if they can pass it down to you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:58 am

strangersmall wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:44 pm
Parents’ documents

full birth or adoption certificate
the non-British passport they had when you were born showing indefinite leave to remain
That should be enough. However, I suspect they may also want grandparents details for future identity thief prevention?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

strangersmall
Newly Registered

Post by strangersmall » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:42 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:58 am
strangersmall wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:44 pm
Parents’ documents

full birth or adoption certificate
That should be enough. However, I suspect they may also want grandparents details for future identity thief prevention?
Thats is interesting point, I have not thought about identity prevention. The problem is that none of the grandparents' documents are in English, also I wont have originals either.

Kris001
Newly Registered
India

Post by Kris001 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:31 pm

Hey strangersmall,

I am in the same situation as you.

I am planning to give the passport office a call on Monday. There is no way I can provide them with birth certificates and marriage certificates of our parents.

I will update if I have any info.

strangersmall
Newly Registered

Post by strangersmall » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:49 am

Kris001 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:31 pm
Hey strangersmall,

I am in the same situation as you.

I am planning to give the passport office a call on Monday. There is no way I can provide them with birth certificates and marriage certificates of our parents.

I will update if I have any info.
Hi Kris, thanks for your reply! I would really appreciate it. It looks like I wont be able to give our parents details either. I think it just must be an issue with the application, it would be very odd if they really wanted their details.

What is the number you are calling? I can give it a try too. Thanks

Kris001
Newly Registered
India

Post by Kris001 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:38 am

Hi strangersmall,

I called HM Passport office at 0300 222 0000 today.

I explained to them that my daughter was born after I got ILR and the application form still asks for grandparents documents which I dont have.

After quite a while on hold, they said its fine to send just the relevant
1. Applicant's documents
2. Parent's documents

Later in the application process if they require grandparent's documents, they will ask for it. But the guy on the phone agreed that in my case grandparent's documents would be irrelevant. (I am guessing grandparents documents are to establish how the applicant is British).

I wish they redesign the application process to avoid this confusion of asking irrelevant documents.

Hope this helps. I already submitted my daughter's application and will post the documents next week.

Best wishes,

strangersmall
Newly Registered

Post by strangersmall » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:39 am

Kris001 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:38 am
Hi strangersmall,

I called HM Passport office at 0300 222 0000 today.

I explained to them that my daughter was born after I got ILR and the application form still asks for grandparents documents which I dont have.

After quite a while on hold, they said its fine to send just the relevant
1. Applicant's documents
2. Parent's documents

Later in the application process if they require grandparent's documents, they will ask for it. But the guy on the phone agreed that in my case grandparent's documents would be irrelevant. (I am guessing grandparents documents are to establish how the applicant is British).

I wish they redesign the application process to avoid this confusion of asking irrelevant documents.

Hope this helps. I already submitted my daughter's application and will post the documents next week.

Best wishes,
Thanks for the info. I will follow up with the same details! Altho they confirmed to you over the phone, I suggest to include a cover letter to explain the situation, I will do the same.