ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent: Flying back to UK with old RC after receiving new one

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nudget
Newly Registered

Urgent: Flying back to UK with old RC after receiving new one

Post by nudget » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:48 am

Hi guys,
I'd like to ask you for urgent help as flying back to the UK in just over 1 day.
We were about to check-in when I found out we accidentally brought an OLD BRC with us on holiday to Thailand instead of the new one.
The old EEA BRC has still a valid date on it till 2023, however, we are not sure if it wasn't discontinued or perhaps it will show as non-active in the airline's system as the new BRC has already been issued, but is currently back at home in the UK.

I ddon't think there will be plenty of people with similar experience, but is there anything we can do pre-departure? We also have a scan of the new BRC, although I don't think they will really care about scanned PDF copy, right?
Any idea whether we might still be fine going through the airlines and border checks abroad with the old card?

Thank you in advance for any information.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Urgent: Flying back to UK with old RC after receiving new one

Post by manci » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:06 pm

The gov policy on residence cards has been changed / updated and assuming you have status under the EUSS your EEA BRC card can be used until it expires, see
https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insights ... -june-2021

However, I don't know if the airline you are planning to fly with from Thailand to the UK is aware of this change. If not, show them the article in the link.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

nudget
Newly Registered

Post by nudget » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:02 pm

Yes, she has a pre-settled status.
I saved the website and screenshot the gov website as well.
Any idea what systems airlines use to check which documents they are required to check or is that classified information?
Also, for some peace of mind do the airline staff enter the details of the residence card somewhere to check them or do they just do a simple simple visual check on date/photo/name?

I was just worried that the old BRC would be discontinued when the new one had been issued. It may cause some issue at the Heathrow but we have some copies to show them. Just need to get onto the plane.

Thank you!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:44 pm

nudget wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:02 pm
Any idea what systems airlines use to check which documents they are required to check or is that classified information?
Many (but not all) airlines use Timatic. It is a licensed database and some airlines, especially budget airlines, may use their own internal databases.
nudget wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:02 pm
do the airline staff enter the details of the residence card somewhere to check them or do they just do a simple simple visual check on date/photo/name?
To the best of my knowledge, it is just a visual check of the residence card/visa/passport.

But keep in mind that they would have access to any updates on the Advanced Passenger Record that you file with them when booking the flight. The APR is shared with the UK Border Force (and other immigration agencies around the world, depending on where one is traveling) and there may be (we do not know) an ability for the Border Force to advise the airline staff on individual passengers.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:25 am

nudget wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:48 am
The old EEA BRC has still a valid date on it till 2023, however, we are not sure if it wasn't discontinued or perhaps it will show as non-active in the airline's system as the new BRC has already been issued, but is currently back at home in the UK.
As far as I am aware, airlines just look at documents. If it says is valid until a future date, then it is valid for them. I travelled with my old EEA BRC post Brexit and post issue of new EUSS BRC and had no issue because of expiry date 2023. Contrary to what they say, the old EEA BRC is not invalidated by the new EUSS BRC. At least I could use it with no issue.
I ddon't think there will be plenty of people with similar experience
Me. I had no issue. See this post.
is there anything we can do pre-departure?
Generate a share code to prove your stats and have it at hand just in case, but if the old EEA BRC is linked to the status, then you'll be fine because:
-Abroad, they only look at the card, and valid date is in the future
-In the UK, they do check a database, and the old EEA BRC is attached to the valid status
We also have a scan of the new BRC, although I don't think they will really care about scanned PDF copy, right?
Why not as extra proof, but I believe the digital status on one hand, and the physical EEA BRC on the other, are stronger and enough evidence.
Any idea whether we might still be fine going through the airlines and border checks abroad with the old card?
As I said, as per my own experience late last year, no issue whatsoever.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

nudget
Newly Registered

Post by nudget » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:33 pm

Hi guys,
I'd like to thank you for the advice you've given me. Not only advice but the answers calmed me down a little bit after stressing out. Turns out, we've probably lost the new BRC somewhere during our holidays but had the old one with us by accident. Good accident. What a coincidence.

To report back, at the airport (Bangkok) the airline staff typed some of the old BRC data into the system and said that's it, off you go. What a relief that was.
At the UK border (Heathrow) - after 2.5 hours in a queue and a about to be deported woman in front of us, we passed their checks and were free to enter the UK.

So in summary, yes, even though she had a new BRC (under Settled Status) issued, she can still (perhaps till the end of the expiration date) travel to the UK on the old EU Family member Residence card.

Thanks for all guys.