ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ROA to OCI - without naturalization certificate

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shrikant124

ROA to OCI - without naturalization certificate

Post by shrikant124 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:38 pm

My daughter was born in India when I was a British citizen but my wife was Indian. So, my daughter applied for an Indian passport travelled to the UK using the ROA (Right of Abode) visa.

My daughter recently got a British passport. The home office allowed applying for a British passport without a naturalisation process.

Now, I'm applying for OCI and the VFS asked for a Naturalisation certificate (as per guidelines on the website). They advised me to talk to Home Office UK and get a letter saying that any child whose one of the parent were British at the time of birth can apply for a British passport without the naturalisation process.

Did anyone come across this situation? Does Home Office even give such a letter?

secret.simon

Re: ROA to OCI - without naturalization certificate

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Apply on Form NS.

The fees are £250 for the Status letter.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

shrikant124

Post by shrikant124 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:29 am

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check what can be done here.

Shrikant

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:14 pm

Or perhaps Form NQ?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi Shrikant,

Could you please update here as I am in similar situation. After a bit of hassle, VFS accepted the application of surrender of child's Indian passport without the naturalisation certificate as I've explained them that child is British by birth.

I am wondering I might be asked this again in OCI process-- Have you not tried convincing that surrender certificate issued by HCI is a proof that child acquired foreign nationality and hence Indian citizenship is surrendered.

Thanks

pranu

Post by pranu » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:50 pm

Any updates on this please as I am also in a similar situation.

Thanks.

shrikant124

Post by shrikant124 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:21 am

Hi Pranu,

I've supplied a cover letter explaining that why my daughter doesn't need naturalisation. The cover letter was accepted during the surrender certificate application. I've also applied for the OCI using the same cover letter. The VFS warned me that HCI London may need more clarification but I've not heard anything from High Commission yet. It means the OCI application is still under process.

During this process, I've contacted the UK home office to issue a letter about why my daughter didn't require Naturalisation and their reply is below.

If you require confirmation of how you acquired your status under British nationality law for a reason other than applying for a passport, you may wish to apply to us for a nationality status letter, using Form NS. Advice about the nationality status certificate application process, the fees payable, and relevant forms, can be obtained from:
www.gov.uk/government/publications/appl ... us-form-ns.

You might want to fill up form NS if you can wait for passport surrender.

I'll update the final status of OCI on the forum in the next 4 weeks time.

shrikant124

Post by shrikant124 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:15 am

Hi All,

I've managed to get OCI for my daughter with a simple cover letter explaining the situation. The Indian High Commission didn't ask for any home office letter.

Thanks for all for helping me out in this situation.

Shrik

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:27 pm

shrikant124 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:15 am
Hi All,

I've managed to get OCI for my daughter with a simple cover letter explaining the situation. The Indian High Commission didn't ask for any home office letter.

Thanks for all for helping me out in this situation.

Shrik
Hi Shrikant

Thanks for the update and it’s really helpful. I have written a very simple letter by hand at the time of surrender submission. Do you think that’s enough for OCI as well. If you don’t mind could you please share the contents/format of your letter?

shrikant124

Post by shrikant124 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi Rivercam.

The content of the letters I used during passport surrender and OCI were almost the same. The only change was around the purpose of the application. You might want to change the content slightly in my letter to HCI below to fit for your purpose.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To, Date: xx/xx/xx

High Commission of India,
London, U.K.

Subject: Clarification over how {Applicant name} obtained British Passport

Dear Madam/Sir,

I am XXXXXXX, the father of {Applicant name} applying to the OCI card for {Applicant name}. {Mother name} is the mother of {Applicant name} . {Mother name} is an Indian citizen and her passport number is XXXXXX.

{Father Name} was a British citizen when {Applicant name} born in India. The British government allows children to apply for a British passport directly when one of the parents was a British citizen at the time of their birth. The applicant does not require to go through the naturalisation process. {Applicant name} applied for the British passport and her application was granted on {DATE}.
{Applicant name} is xx months old and as part of the process, {Father Name} the father of {Applicant name} applying to the OCI for {Applicant name}. {Mother’s name}, the mother of {Applicant name} gave consent to this application.

Should you have any questions related to the above or if you require further details, please do contact me at XXXXX or email me at XXXX

Thank You.

Yours faithfully,

{Father and Mother name}
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this will help you.