ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for child born outside UK- New Online Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zamanam

British Citizenship for child born outside UK- New Online Application

Post by zamanam » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi all,

We are applying British Citizenship for child born outside UK using new Online Application.
The child was born outside the UK before his parents came to the UK. He came to UK as a Tier 1 dependent and then got extension and ILR an year ago with his mother. Father already got ILR few months before him and have already applied for British nationality still awaiting a response from HO.

Child online application form ask following question - can yo please let us know which option we can choose as he is not applying BC with parents, father BC application in in process and mother is on ILR

Choose which category to apply under. You are a child under 18 and:
(Required)
You were born in the UK
You were born outside the UK- SELECTED THIS - then got following option

Your parent is British by descent and lived in the UK or a British Overseas territory for at least 3 years before you were born
Your parent is British by descent and you and your parents (unless they are legally separated) are now living in the UK or a British Overseas territory
You were born on or after 13 January 2010 and your parent was serving in the UK armed forces
You were adopted abroad by British citizen parents
You were born before 1 July 2006 to a British father and your parents were not married
One or both of your parents is applying for British citizenship
Other - apply at the discretion of the Home Secretary

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship for child born outside UK- New Online Application

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:07 pm

Select "other"
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zamanam

Post by zamanam » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Dear CR001.

Thank you very much for confirming.

I am bit confused as in some such posts it's says that children born outside the UK are expected to hold ILR before registering as British citizens BUT they need to use MN1 form for naturization as they can not be registered like adults.

This question is from registering as a British citizen form, the one father also used. Couple of such post links are pasted below.

In our case child is 7years old and was born outside the UK before parents entry clearance and now he had ILR for more than 12 months.

Can you please confirm which form he can use to apply for nationality a - register as a British citizen or b-naturalise as British citizen ie MN1 form.

Please provide the link for the form too.

british-citizenship/naturalisation-quer ... 14217.html

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 09352.html

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:07 pm

A child under 18 is registered as British on form MN1. That is the form to use.

Children are registered and adults are naturalised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zamanam

Post by zamanam » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Thank you very much for your response. You mean paper based application via this form
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:14 am

You apply online using form MN1!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

zamanam

Post by zamanam » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:58 pm

Thank you very much.

zamanam

Post by zamanam » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:30 am

[quote=CR001 post_id=2043064 time=1637593657 user_id=70994]
Select "other"
[/quote]

Hi CR001

Thank you for your response but now situation has changed as father of the child already got British citizenship. Will this make any difference or still I have to select MN1 form and need to choose option 'others' ie at the discretion of home secretary?

My 2nd question is just a blunder I made. I made online application for this child and paid it as well based on MN1 form and others option.

But then I realised the child was outside the UK on exactly year ago from the date of application. I didn't notice because this mn1 form for other option didn't ask for travel outside UK.

Should I now cancel this application? If so how as I read if 5years from the date of application, applicant is not in the UK, then application get reject. Kindly guide me.

If I have to cancel the application what is the process for this cancellation and is fees refundable?

Note I applied today and paid today. I also uploaded documents and booked biometric for 24th January? I don't know if I can cancel the application and can get the refund or not.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:06 am

No need to cancel it. There is no requirement that the child must have been in the UK 1 year ago.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:32 am

zamanam wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:30 am
CR001 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:07 pm
Select "other"
Hi CR001

Thank you for your response but now situation has changed as father of the child already got British citizenship. Will this make any difference or still I have to select MN1 form and need to choose option 'others' ie at the discretion of home secretary?
Yes. They expect at least one parent to be British and the other parent to have at least ILR.
zamanam wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:30 am
My 2nd question is just a blunder I made. I made online application for this child and paid it as well based on MN1 form and others option.

But then I realised the child was outside the UK on exactly year ago from the date of application. I didn't notice because this mn1 form for other option didn't ask for travel outside UK.

Should I now cancel this application? If so how as I read if 5years from the date of application, applicant is not in the UK, then application get reject. Kindly guide me.

Irrelevant. You didn’t make a blunder, as there is no such registration requirement for child. However, if child is 13 years old or older, then they also expect child to have resided in the U.K. for at least two years.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zamanam

Post by zamanam » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 am

Thank you very much CR001 and Vinny.
You really made my day!!!