ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family settlement visas now valid for 27 months

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vinny

Family settlement visas now valid for 27 months

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:56 am

Last edited by vinny on Wed May 25, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

John

Post by John » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:40 am

This is extremely good news! It should cut out all the hassle concerning needing to get to the UK within the first 28 days of validity of a 2-year spouse visa.
John

Mags
Newly Registered

Post by Mags » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:03 am

Do you need to get to the UK within 28 days of receiving your spouse visa?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:17 am

Yes, you have to be in the UK within 28 days of the visa being issued

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 am

John wrote:This is extremely good news! It should cut out all the hassle concerning needing to get to the UK within the first 28 days of validity of a 2-year spouse visa.
John is correct as the qualifying period for SET(M) remains at 2 years (287, 295G).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

John

Post by John » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 am

If issued with a 27 month visa you now effectively have a maximum of 3 months 28 days to first enter the UK on that visa.

Example ...... visa issued with start date of 01.08.08 .... end date is 01.11.10. The person needs to enter the UK no later than 28.11.08.

But I would not recommend leaving it quite as late as that! But it does cut out the hassle of needing to arrive within the first 28 days, which is great.
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:41 pm

John wrote:
If issued with a 27 month visa you now effectively have a maximum of 3 months 28 days to first enter the UK on that visa.
If its effective date been post-dated, then you have a longer period to first enter the UK.

Prem

Post by Prem » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Can anyone confirm that this is the case???

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:20 pm

Correct.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:45 am

Apparently, good news also for people with 2-year spouse visas.

Prem

Post by Prem » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:54 pm

From another post
AzimScot wrote:Hi guys,

I just wanted to let all you know who have been success in getting a spouse visa that the 28 day rule applied is in force despite allot of speculation on this board about it not being relevant. If you do get your date booked and its more than 28 days you will have to apply for an extension of stay with the home office and also be an initial charge of £155 and then a further fee of £155 when you apply for indefinite leave to remain, which obviously will be longer.

The is what was stated when my wife got her visa.
Not 27 months for everyone it looks like.

John

Post by John » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:30 pm

Existing 2-year spouse visas are not being extended to 27 months. So given the change to 27-months happened only last July, and only for visas issued outside the UK, clearly there are a lot of 2-year visas still out there and valid.
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:44 pm

If applicable, try to get a similar confirmation (of application being put on hold) in writing, before applying for SET(M).

John

Post by John » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:26 am

Vinny, my understanding is that early next week all this will be confirmed on the UKBA website, so no need for anyone to rush off a letter to UKBA today.

I further understand that this concession has been negotiated by the ILPA ..... Immigration Law Practitioners Association .... who argued that the problem was an unintentional side effect of a change introduced as far back as 2001.
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks, John. Useful to know.

craig1974
Newly Registered

Clarification

Post by craig1974 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:17 am

Hi All

A quick question, Please can someone confirm if my wife gets a spouse visa valid for 2 years, does she have to come to the UK within 28 days of this being issued? I have seen different reports on here and wanted some clarification.
If that is the case, what if she does not come here within 28 days, what does she need to do? and will she be prevented from entering.
I apprieciate some clarification

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 am

If you read the contents of this thread, then you will have your answers.

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:40 pm

John wrote:
Existing 2-year spouse visas are not being extended to 27 months. So given the change to 27-months happened only last July, and only for visas issued outside the UK, clearly there are a lot of 2-year visas still out there and valid.
Does Uk Ancestral visa fall under 'family visa' ?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Chapter 18.6 United Kingdom Ancestry wrote:Entry clearance endorsement
Applicants in this category should be given entry clearance endorsed ‘D: UK ANCESTRY EMPLOYMENT’. CODE 1. 5 YEARS.

Leave to enter should begin on the date the applicant is due to arrive in the UK.

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks Vinny. Could you please provide me with a link to the Caseworker's rules regarding UK Ancestry and ILR? There used to be a lot more info regarding UK Ancestry on the BIA site and now its thin on the ground.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:25 pm

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:19 am

Thank you so much Vinny, you're a diamond.

Bad-Boy
Newly Registered

Post by Bad-Boy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:16 am

Hi Vinni,

Any idea on how long it takes to change the application status from"Application was sent to Islamabad OC......"

to

"Application is ready for collection...."?

As mine has been nearly a month showing the status of "Application sent to Isalamabad OC....." and it hasn't changed yet.

denzel74
Newly Registered

ILR for a Non-EU after divorce

Post by denzel74 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi all,

I've been here before and now I come again as this place is so helpfull...

I have two main questions on which I would like to have some clarifications as I know there're always people on this site who always are helpfull.

First, I was issued a 5 years residency after getting married to my ex-wife. Those 5 years (till 2011) were issued in my passport which will expire next year. That means from next year I will be having a residency in a passport which will not be valid anymore. So what should I do in this situation ? Is it ok if I establish a new passport and put them altogether ? or I have to send both passport to the HO to get my residency transferred in the new passport ?

Second, after getting divorced to my ex-wife, is this going to affect for me to apply for the ILR ?

Please, I look forward to hearing from anyone with some clarifications.

Thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 pm

John wrote:Vinny, my understanding is that early next week all this will be confirmed on the UKBA website, so no need for anyone to rush off a letter to UKBA today.

I further understand that this concession has been negotiated by the ILPA ..... Immigration Law Practitioners Association .... who argued that the problem was an unintentional side effect of a change introduced as far back as 2001.
UKBA Site update.