ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents Visa - EU Country?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vt59
Newly Registered
India

Parents Visa - EU Country?

Post by vt59 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:25 am

Hi All,

Is there any country in the EU which allows Parents to stay as dependants with the main application who is on a work visa.
I might have option to join a company based in Austria but they have presence in other EU countries so wanted to check which country allows my parents to stay with me.

Thanks in advance

secret.simon

Re: Parents Visa - EU Country?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:41 am

The term you want to research online for is "TCN"/"third country nationals". The rights of family members of TCNs is generally not managed at an EU wide level, but is left to the discretion of the EU member-states.

Page 6 of this document from the Catholic University of Leuven may be a starting point to do your research.

Note that the the right of your adlt dependent parents to join you in an EU member-state may be conditional on them having adequate accomodation, taking part in integration and local language courses, proving that they have sufficient funds, etc, and that those conditions may vary from member-state to member-state.

If you are coming from a warm climate, you may want to choose a more southern member-state, like Spain or Italy, to start your research with. Italy has the advantage that Sicily is wonderfully warm and picturesque, whereas Bolzano, near the border with Austria, is heavily Austrian in culture, with German an official language and a strong German presence (it used to be a part of Austria till about 100 years ago). So you could tick both boxes (warm climate and proximity to Austria).

You may also want to factor in how long it would take you, the main applicant, to acquire the citizenship of that member-state. I think Austrian citizenship by naturalisation requires 10 years of residence in Austria, for instance, whereas Italy allows Italian citizenship after only three years if married to an Italian citizen and only a year and a half if also parents to an Italian child.

Once you become an EU citizen, your rights re dependent parents change considerably.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.