ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Citizen Name change in UK process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

peace_purple123
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Indian Citizen Name change in UK process

Post by peace_purple123 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:49 am

I am an Indian citizen on a work visa in UK (Rsident). I need to add the surname to my name as I don't have any surname till now. Can anyone please let me know the process, I am about to apply for a passport renewal I want to get it changed?
Also, will that be a problem in the future when I apply for ILR my name will differ in the 5-year stay on documents i.e council tax, p60 passport, brp etc?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Indian Citizen Name change in UK process

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:49 am

peace_purple123 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:49 am
I am an Indian citizen on a work visa in UK (Rsident). I need to add the surname to my name as I don't have any surname till now. Can anyone please let me know the process, I am about to apply for a passport renewal I want to get it changed?
Also, will that be a problem in the future when I apply for ILR my name will differ in the 5-year stay on documents i.e council tax, p60 passport, brp etc?
You wont have issues up until you obtain your british citizenship, however, you require a last name for british passport. Else, they would use your given name as surname and put XXX in for your given name.
british-citizenship/no-given-names-on-b ... 92034.html

Further if you dont change at all your OCI will carry the name from your british passport.

other-countries/oci-application-uk-pass ... 98026.html

So you have two options
1 Change your name now, no issues with regards to ILR as long as you can produce a legal document, and substitute the same with bank statements etc.
2. proceed as is until you obtain your naturalization and then legally add or change your name and apply for a British passport.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI