ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Office Identity Checking Service

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Prem

Post Office Identity Checking Service

Post by Prem » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi there

Just getting ready to Notarise my Documents and looking for local solictors and the Local Notary Centre, when i cam across this link from UK Resident Immigration Forum. Hope it helps some people out!

The http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/c ... d=52100693 will do this for £7.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Re: Post Office Identity Checking Service

Post by tasha75 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:57 am

Thank you for sharing.
£7 for up to 3 documents is cheaper than £5 per page that solicitors charge (if you have more than 1 page to certify).
Do not live your life in fear.

Prem

Post by Prem » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:45 pm

Just rang up my local Notary place and the person said they charge £40 per document!

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:02 pm

I dont think having these documents attested by the Post Office will suffice, as only solicitors are legally qualified to attest documents as being true copies. I only had my passport done by a solicitor and he only charged £7.50 for a 5 minute job.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:53 am

Prem wrote:Just rang up my local Notary place and the person said they charge £40 per document!
Notaries always charge much higher prices than solicitors. Unless you are specifically asked for your documents to be certified by notary, don't bother. Look for a high street solicitor, many of them would certify documents. And if you shop around you'll find one for a fiver.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:03 am

batleykhan wrote:only solicitors are legally qualified to attest documents as being true copies.
Where did you get that?
A certified copy is a duplicate of a document that shows the original signature and sometimes stamp or seal of a suitable professional person or organisation, to verify that it is a true and genuine copy of the original document.
Certain other professionals may also certify copy documents, such as solicitors, bank managers, accountants, Justices of the Peace. There is usually a charge for this service.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:03 pm

tasha75 wrote:
batleykhan wrote:only solicitors are legally qualified to attest documents as being true copies.
Where did you get that?
A certified copy is a duplicate of a document that shows the original signature and sometimes stamp or seal of a suitable professional person or organisation, to verify that it is a true and genuine copy of the original document.
Certain other professionals may also certify copy documents, such as solicitors, bank managers, accountants, Justices of the Peace. There is usually a charge for this service.
Where did you source that text from, tasha75?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:12 am

benifa wrote:
From the Deed poll people.
https://www.namechangeco.com/Help/20335 ... fied-copy/

You can also google "certified copy" (this link was the first one in the results), none of the sites (official and non) mention that only solicitors can certify copies.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 am

tasha75 wrote:
benifa wrote:
From the Deed poll people.
https://www.namechangeco.com/Help/20335 ... fied-copy/

You can also google "certified copy" (this link was the first one in the results), none of the sites (official and non) mention that only solicitors can certify copies.
I'd be very dubious about believing what you read on a website that charges you something you can do yourself in 5 minutes.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:46 pm

batleykhan wrote:
only solicitors are legally qualified to attest documents as being true copies.

Where did you get that?

Quote:
I know for a fact that any certified document signed and attested by a solicitor are more likely to be accepted by people in authority,rather than one signed for example by a bank manager or doctor.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:37 am

batleykhan wrote:
I know for a fact that any certified document signed and attested by a solicitor are more likely to be accepted by people in authority,rather than one signed for example by a bank manager or doctor.
Agree with this. I disagreed with your pp where you said that only solicitors are legally qualified to certify copies.
Still, it depends on the documents you are required to provide certified copies of. If it's bank statements then the bank manager is as good as a solicitor to do the job.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:38 am

benifa wrote: I'd be very dubious about believing what you read on a website that charges you something you can do yourself in 5 minutes.
It was just a first link in the google search. If you look you can find local authorities and other public bodies advising likewise.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:53 am

Agree with this. I disagreed with your pp where you said that only solicitors are legally qualified to certify copies.
Still, it depends on the documents you are required to provide certified copies of. If it's bank statements then the bank manager is as good as a solicitor to do the job.
In most cases the only doc you need to certify in Immigration matters is your passport ( because you cant send it abroad). Bank statement or doctors letter need to be the original docs in the first place, otherwise the ECO wont accept copies or certified copies with an immigration application.

scorpiolady

certifying documents

Post by scorpiolady » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Does anybody know if other professional people, apart from solicitors, certify documents such as the people that can sign passport applications and photographs? It makes sense if people can sign passport applications as a professional then the same should go for them to be able to certify other documents.
Scorpiolady

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Does anybody know if other professional people, apart from solicitors, certify documents such as the people that can sign passport applications and photographs? It makes sense if people can sign passport applications as a professional then the same should go for them to be able to certify other documents.

The same person for example can not certify bank statements, because that person does not know whether that document is genuine or not.Obviously if you are going to get a solicitor to certify something,most people would not want to do something fraudelent infront of a solicitor, whereas he might do infront of other people.

This is why a copy certified by a solicor is more likely to believed by the authorities,rather than just some profesional friend that you might know. take it from me people in authority do check the authenticity of people signing or certifying documents.

scorpiolady

certifying documents

Post by scorpiolady » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:47 pm

What I meant was any professional who signs your passport photograph as certifying it to being a true likeness of the person concerned then certify your passport as being a true copy?
Scorpiolady