ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Tommy1987
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Tommy1987 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Apple10 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:49 pm
No issues with lost docs for me. I didn't receive any confirmation email that they had received my docs but I emailed them and they confirmed that they had received them.

I sent mine recorded delivery though. It cost roughly ten pounds but I thought it was worth it for the certainty
ah definitely worth it, and I'll be doing the same, but I was wondering more about when the process is complete and you're an official Irish citizen; have there been cases where people haven't received there docs back afterwards?

Tommy1987
Newly Registered

Post by Tommy1987 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Apple10 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:49 pm
No issues with lost docs for me. I didn't receive any confirmation email that they had received my docs but I emailed them and they confirmed that they had received them.

I sent mine recorded delivery though. It cost roughly ten pounds but I thought it was worth it for the certainty
ah definitely worth it, and I'll be doing the same, but I was wondering more about when the process is complete and you're an official Irish citizen; have there been cases where people haven't received there docs back afterwards?

Pb300
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Pb300 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:31 pm

EmmaKate wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:59 pm
Pb300 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:26 pm
Some interesting news recently. My documents for FBR were received in June 2019. I was getting increasingly concerned at not hearing anything so a couple months ago I called the FBR number and explained my concern. I was told to relax. Everything is fine and I should hear shortly.

As I learned about more applicants receiving approvals with significantly later dates but still no word on mine, I called again. This time I was told there was an “issue” with applications submitted around that time. I was given an address and instructed to send an official letter of inquiry via post with the details of my application. He would not elaborate on what he meant by “an issue “ but my worst fear now seems more likely than before - that a number of applications were lost or destroyed during or before the shutdown. The office was obviously not prepared for the onslaught of applications caused by BREXiT and the shutdown during COVID could have pushed them well beyond there ability to safely store, organize, or otherwise protect documents
I am in a similar situation Pb300, my children's FBR FBR docs were received on 7 March 2019 so we have now gone past the 3 year point. I spoke to the FBR urgent enquiries line last week and was told something along the same lines, that were "issues" with some early 2019 applications and advised to write in.
Just on the off chance I decided to try the FBR email for expectant mothers and (a bit cheekily) put OVER 3 YEARS in the title line. I got a reply today, the agent had the applications in front of him and checked a few details, then said I should get a final update in the next few days. I think the end is in sight.
I’m really glad to hear you finally received some news. It doesn’t make any sense that some applications are sitting for many months more than others without action. I wrote an inquiry letter and finally received an email of address verification. I responded immediately that my address has not change but have heard nothing further in over a week. A simple email acknowledgment would have been much appreciated. Now I feel that this was just a teaser and I’m back in the black box. Hope you get a confirmation soon.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:29 pm

Pb300 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:31 pm
EmmaKate wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:59 pm
Pb300 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:26 pm
Some interesting news recently. My documents for FBR were received in June 2019. I was getting increasingly concerned at not hearing anything so a couple months ago I called the FBR number and explained my concern. I was told to relax. Everything is fine and I should hear shortly.

As I learned about more applicants receiving approvals with significantly later dates but still no word on mine, I called again. This time I was told there was an “issue” with applications submitted around that time. I was given an address and instructed to send an official letter of inquiry via post with the details of my application. He would not elaborate on what he meant by “an issue “ but my worst fear now seems more likely than before - that a number of applications were lost or destroyed during or before the shutdown. The office was obviously not prepared for the onslaught of applications caused by BREXiT and the shutdown during COVID could have pushed them well beyond there ability to safely store, organize, or otherwise protect documents
I am in a similar situation Pb300, my children's FBR FBR docs were received on 7 March 2019 so we have now gone past the 3 year point. I spoke to the FBR urgent enquiries line last week and was told something along the same lines, that were "issues" with some early 2019 applications and advised to write in.
Just on the off chance I decided to try the FBR email for expectant mothers and (a bit cheekily) put OVER 3 YEARS in the title line. I got a reply today, the agent had the applications in front of him and checked a few details, then said I should get a final update in the next few days. I think the end is in sight.
I’m really glad to hear you finally received some news. It doesn’t make any sense that some applications are sitting for many months more than others without action. I wrote an inquiry letter and finally received an email of address verification. I responded immediately that my address has not change but have heard nothing further in over a week. A simple email acknowledgment would have been much appreciated. Now I feel that this was just a teaser and I’m back in the black box. Hope you get a confirmation soon.
It's really a dice roll sometimes it seems. There was a person on here who applied at the same time for both their children. First child's application was approved and the other child's application was approved a year later. Really hoping they at least turn back on the chat function soon, so we can all get some updated information in real time.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:39 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:58 am
jgclancy wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:11 am
rlgh wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:43 pm
Hi everyone,

FINALLY recieved my Irish citizenship certificate today after a wait of about 25 months... and my name isn't correct on the certificate 🤦🏼‍♀️

The document shows my maiden name, however I was married when I applied to the FBR service and submitted a marriage certificate AND deed poll certificate confirming my change of name. This seems to have been ignored, and the FBR has been issued to my maiden name.

When it comes to applying for my passport, I don't want to use my maiden name! It's not the name I go by anymore and I haven't for nearly 6 years - I'm very frustrated after this being such a long and drawn out process and I wondered if I could get some help/ guidance. I'm going to contact them first thing on Monday but I don't want another delay of months/ years...

TLDR: FBR document issued with maiden name, despite me providing proof of change of name. What do I do?!
Like your birth certificate the FBR has your name at birth-it is a " birth" record. Like your regular birth certificate- both which will be needed for passport application.

jgclancy
Hey JG, so my FBR cert will have the name on my birth certificate rather than my current legal name on my US passport and I'd just submit the FBR, birth certificate and name change forms when I apply for the passport? And my passport will have my current legal name. As I mentioned, my name was changed as a kid (first name not last name). Did I get that right?
In your case, I'd make sure to also send an explanatory letter with everything explaining the name change . Be VERY CLEAR which name you expect on the actual passport.

Good Luck
jgclancy

P.S.- after 4 weeks of an endless loop between NYC distribution centers the USPS sent my passport parcel back to Ireland! They knew there was a problem but were absolutely useless in solving it. They even acknowledged that the address was correct but something in the barcode was off. It's so automated that no human actually can touch it and redirect it. Now I have no idea what will happen. Ugh....

trailofnope
Newly Registered
Mood:
Wales

Post by trailofnope » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:35 am

I got my FBR certificate in the post late last week.

I've updated the Google Sheet but here's the full timeline for the lurkers:
  • Application (online) 09/12/2019
    Confirmation docs received 06/01/2020
    Confirmation of address email 01/03/2022
    Congratulations email 04/03/2022
    Cert received 17/03/2022
Good luck everyone still waiting.

On to the passport application process...

Alk1978
Newly Registered

Post by Alk1978 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:01 pm

Oh wow, that would mean that I should hopefully get my address confirmation email end of this week (my “docs received” email was 30th Jan 2020 (i said 20th on here previously, I misremembered the date). Fingers crossed I’ll finally hear something very soon! Thanks to all who keep sharing their milestone dates, it’s a huge help after almost two years of having no idea how things were progressing, it’s been a huge help.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:50 pm

Hi, I completed my online application at the end of Jan 2020 and sent my docs to Dublin at the beginning of Feb, so I should be getting close to hearing from them. I will be going on a remote itinerary for a month starting at the end of April with email access once a week at best. When one receives the address confirmation email, what if you don't answer for a week or 2? Is there any way to pro-actively confirm one's address? Thanks!

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:51 pm

Hi, I completed my online application at the end of Jan 2020 and sent my docs to Dublin at the beginning of Feb, so I should be getting close to hearing from them. I will be going on a remote itinerary for a month starting at the end of April with email access once a week at best. When one receives the address confirmation email, what if you don't answer for a week or 2? Is there any way to pro-actively confirm one's address? Thanks!

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:54 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:39 pm
P.S.- after 4 weeks of an endless loop between NYC distribution centers the USPS sent my passport parcel back to Ireland! They knew there was a problem but were absolutely useless in solving it. They even acknowledged that the address was correct but something in the barcode was off. It's so automated that no human actually can touch it and redirect it. Now I have no idea what will happen. Ugh....
They've really worked you hard for this citezenship and passport

I read on an earlier page of this forum the other day that someone applied for FBR / Passport in the early 00's and the whole thing was complete within a calendar month!

- hope it gets sorted soon

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:20 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:54 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:39 pm
They've really worked you hard for this citezenship and passport

I read on an earlier page of this forum the other day that someone applied for FBR / Passport in the early 00's and the whole thing was complete within a calendar month!

- hope it gets sorted soon
It has been quite the ride! My brother did his in 1999 -took less than two months as I recall. I used to joke that back then if you wrapped your FBR application around a rock and tossed it through the consulate window it'd only take a month.

I awoke this morning to an e-mail from Dublin saying passport was returned & please contact them. They have repackaged it with a new tracking # so crossing fingers for this week. Today is Day 32 since they first mailed it. I also asked about the passport card but no response to that aspect. Maybe I have to get passport book first before they send it? backlogged? who knows?
Patience is the key -2years & 9 months since I started this FBR/passport journey. LOL I would have applied 6 months earlier but delayed while helping a friend get her app ready. Even then it would have been done in 6 months. Oh well...thanks for the positive waves!

jgclancy

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am

Still waiting here from application December 2019 for my children. The eldest has now turned 18 so god only knows what's going to happen to that application now. :?

EmmaKate
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmmaKate » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:44 pm

Sooze wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am
Still waiting here from application December 2019 for my children. The eldest has now turned 18 so god only knows what's going to happen to that application now. :?
I asked about this when I spoke to FBR last week as my daughter will turn 18 shortly, I was told that it will still be processed as a child application despite turning 18 before the cert is issued.

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:18 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:51 pm
You could setup automatic replies if you were really worried about it. Maybe there is even a way to do this for a specific email address also, but I'm not sure. Waiting to respond will do nothing but delay completion time, not a big deal I'd imagine after a 2 year wait.

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:37 pm

EmmaKate wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:44 pm
Sooze wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am
I asked about this when I spoke to FBR last week as my daughter will turn 18 shortly, I was told that it will still be processed as a child application despite turning 18 before the cert is issued.
Thank you EmmaKate, that is very good to hear!! :D

lisamo
Newly Registered

Post by lisamo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:21 pm

Thanks to this great board which I have been watching the past few months and it has given me hope! My FBR journey is nearly over and I thought it would be useful for the other December 2019/January 2020 applicants to see this.

Applied: 27/12/2019
Documents received: 13/01/2020
Address check: 22/03/2022

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:44 pm

lisamo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:21 pm
Thanks to this great board which I have been watching the past few months and it has given me hope! My FBR journey is nearly over and I thought it would be useful for the other December 2019/January 2020 applicants to see this.

Applied: 27/12/2019
Documents received: 13/01/2020
Address check: 22/03/2022

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.
Ooh Lisamo that is so close to mine, I got my email saying docs received on 21st January 2020. Maybe this is all coming at last!

Themag62
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Themag62 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:37 am

Hello!

Anxiously awaiting an email for a FBR citizenship app, but afraid I may have botched the application, and wondering if anyone has mailed in additional supporting material for their app? Hoping to not have the process delayed further by having to respond to instructions to correct the number of photos sent.

Received email that the application was received 2 years ago, on 2/17/20.
I believe we sent in only TWO photos, instead of the required FOUR.

The application is for my young adult daughter who is in the Netherlands at university, which complicates things, but we do have FOUR passport photos we could send in referencing the app. number. Problem is, the application instructions say the same official who witnesses the application and ID, must also witness the photos. That person, a bank manager, has moved on and cannot be located.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Best to just wait until we are contacted?
Also, HOW did you have your photos "witnessed". We found the instructions unclear. The photos are small,so the official is expected to do a tiny signature on the back? It can't be notarized. How did you handle this?

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:22 am

I messed up the docs for my application in a similar but not quite the same way. I didn't send a certified copy of my passport, only a copy. When I realised my error I got in touch with the FBR and sent in the notarized copy and marked my application number on the envelope.

I am still in the queue to be processed so havent heard anything yet. The FBR were very helpful when I emailed them so perhaps drop them an email? I had to wait about a week for a response.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:39 am

Apple10 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:22 am
I messed up the docs for my application in a similar but not quite the same way. I didn't send a certified copy of my passport, only a copy. When I realised my error I got in touch with the FBR and sent in the notarized copy and marked my application number on the envelope.

I am still in the queue to be processed so havent heard anything yet. The FBR were very helpful when I emailed them so perhaps drop them an email? I had to wait about a week for a response.
Apple10, what email address did you use to contact them?

artvandelay91
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by artvandelay91 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:11 pm

Long time lurker first time poster:

FBR Applied online: 10 January 2019
FBR Documents submitted email: 13 January 2020 (I'm disorganised)
Confirmation of Address: 24 March 2022
Congratulations email: 24 March 2022 (Literally 30 minutes later)

This was being processed by Team 8. Good luck everyone!

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:39 pm

artvandelay91 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:11 pm
Long time lurker first time poster:

FBR Applied online: 10 January 2019
FBR Documents submitted email: 13 January 2020 (I'm disorganised)
Confirmation of Address: 24 March 2022
Congratulations email: 24 March 2022 (Literally 30 minutes later)

This was being processed by Team 8. Good luck everyone!
I am literally checking my email and spam every hour now! :lol:

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:17 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:39 am
Apple10 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:22 am

Apple10, what email address did you use to contact them?

It was fbr.urgentqueries@dfat.ie . Also on the witnessing thing. A university lecturer did mine nd literally signed the back of the photos as that was all that would fit. They then wrote the whole "I hereby certify this is Apple..." on the copy of the passport. They didn't have a business card, but their photo and job title is on the university website so I printed that out and sent it. They can check the weblink was my view. Whether they have any issues I dont know as I still have another long 20 odd months to wait :-(

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:58 pm

No new posts in 3 days? That must be a record, or there's a problem with my account...

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:58 am

TrishMc wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:58 pm
No new posts in 3 days? That must be a record, or there's a problem with my account...
Think we're all just waiting. Seems like they're on Jan 2020 at the moment. I'm Feb 2020, expecting to hear something next month or may perhaps.