ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for a refugee

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ashija
Newly Registered

British Citizenship for a refugee

Post by Ashija » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:47 pm

Hello everybody!
Just last night I found a post from last year (already locked, so I couldn't reply to it) with a situation nearly identical to that of my partner.
My partner came to the UK to flee prosecutions from his home country. He used an agency and entered England in October 2012 by air, transiting through 2 other European countries. He claimed asylum seeker at the airport, but refugee status was granted to him only at the beginning of 2015. He got his IRL in April 2020.
From what I understood from reading Good Character requirements and this forum, he should be penalized for 10 years for entering the UK illegally and not claiming asylum in the first country he got to.
Now, the person who posted his story on this forum last year entered the UK the same way in 2013, got refugee in 2015 and IRL in 2020, and was advised by users to apply for citizenship. Unfortunately, he never posted any updates.
----> The title of that post was: Good Character for Citizenship (Refugee)

I don't understand why would he not be penalized for 10 years? Is there something I'm missing? Also, I found that some people say that 10 years starts not when a person claimed asylum but from the date, he was actually granted refugee status. Can anybody clarify this for me, please? :? :?
We were hoping to apply for citizenship this coming November, as we are also preparing to buy our first property in England, and getting a mortgage without being on the electoral register is much more difficult :roll:
Thank you for any help guys! :D

Hasan1983
Sudan

Re: British Citizenship for a refugee

Post by Hasan1983 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:16 pm

What I understand from the post is that your partner entered the UK and claimed asylum as soon as he arrived at the airport, that doesn't constitute illegal entry however there is a missing part in your narrative about why he took long time to get granted refugee status approx 3 years after he applied to asylum. I was a refugee who entered the UK in 2013 and now I am British. Entering UK illegally as asylum seeker doesn't represent a felony that reflects a bad character as long as your partner applied to asylum in reasonable time.

London22
Member of Standing

Re: British Citizenship for a refugee

Post by London22 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:12 pm

Ashija wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:47 pm
Hello everybody!
Just last night I found a post from last year (already locked, so I couldn't reply to it) with a situation nearly identical to that of my partner.
My partner came to the UK to flee prosecutions from his home country. He used an agency and entered England in October 2012 by air, transiting through 2 other European countries. He claimed asylum seeker at the airport, but refugee status was granted to him only at the beginning of 2015. He got his IRL in April 2020.
From what I understood from reading Good Character requirements and this forum, he should be penalized for 10 years for entering the UK illegally and not claiming asylum in the first country he got to.
Now, the person who posted his story on this forum last year entered the UK the same way in 2013, got refugee in 2015 and IRL in 2020, and was advised by users to apply for citizenship. Unfortunately, he never posted any updates.
----> The title of that post was: Good Character for Citizenship (Refugee)

I don't understand why would he not be penalized for 10 years? Is there something I'm missing? Also, I found that some people say that 10 years starts not when a person claimed asylum but from the date, he was actually granted refugee status. Can anybody clarify this for me, please? :? :?
We were hoping to apply for citizenship this coming November, as we are also preparing to buy our first property in England, and getting a mortgage without being on the electoral register is much more difficult :roll:
Thank you for any help guys! :D
Hello
Your partner applied asylum as soon as he entered UK ,the HO considers it in good character .There is no issue even if a person enters UK illegally if they apply for asylum as soon as possible ,home office says within 1 month of arrival.It is also no issue if a person doesn't apply asylum in the safe countries come on their way to UK .Nationality law has deliberately been made complex by Tories .