ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British citizenship is NOT the same as applying for a British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

Applying for British citizenship is NOT the same as applying for a British passport

Post by kamoe » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:16 pm

This is to remind everyone that having citizenship of a country (the UK, The US, India, France, Brazil, China, it really doesn't matter which one) and having a passport for that country is NOT the same thing. :!:

I say this because I have seen multiple posts here of people referring to an application for a British passport when they actually mean application for British citizenship. They.are.not.the.same.thing. You DO NOT receive a free British passport automatically when you are granted British citizenship!!! Stop having that expectation, if at all that's what you believe.

Just think about your own original country of nationality (the one you have from birth).
When did you receive that nationality? At birth.
When did you receive your first passport from that nationality? Not at birth, very frequently in your childhood or youth, or even well into your adult life. In fact, for most people this never happens.
Does not having a passport from a country mean you are not a citizen of that country? No. Many, many people have never had and will never have a passport of their country of nationality. That's why the Windrush scandal was a thing.

So. The takeaway is that obtaining a British citizenship and obtaining a British passport are two separate processes.
  • You don't need a British passport to be British, you can stop the process after your ceremony and never apply for a passport if that suits you.
  • But obviously you need to be a British citizen if you want a British passport, in which case, once the first process is successful, you need to explicitly apply for the second process, the passport, which has it's own separate form and timeline.
So, please, please, please stop saying that you have ILR and want to apply for a British passport. That's not possible. You have to apply and be granted British citizenship first.

End of rant.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.