ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Directive 2004/38/EC following UK withdrawal from EU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

input-output
Armenia

Directive 2004/38/EC following UK withdrawal from EU

Post by input-output » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:50 pm

Hello

Family members of EU citizens previously relied on Directive 38/2004/EC to receive European (predominantly Schengen) visas free, in an expedited manner and supported by a very limited set of documents.

Following UK's exit from EU, what is the legal framework that EU citizens' non-EU family members rely upon when applying for European (Shengen) visas please? Is this a Withdrawal agreement? I looked it up but it is mainly concerned with EU/UK citizens and their rights, and unlike the Directive, does not explicitly deals with family members' rights.

Would knowledgeable members have an answer to this question?

I-O

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Directive 2004/38/EC following UK withdrawal from EU

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:18 pm

As far as I know there is no specific law framework dealing with non-EU citizens' as part of or resulting from the EU Withdrawal Agreement.
Non-EU family members of EU citizens are third party nationals and if "visa nationals" require a visa to visit the Schengen area.
Perhaps this link to the3million organisation may help - the t3m represent EU citizens and their family members:
https://www.the3million.org.uk/travel-to-the-eu
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.